Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

B*****d - offensive????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Merry

Merry Report 15 May 2006 14:47

I have often seen threads on here saying isn't it sad when you see the above word to describe people......mainly in baptism records, but also sometimes on marriage certs and other records. I have tended to agree with these sentiments.......However.......I was just reading the will of a very rich and influential man (not a rellie!!) who described himself as ''Rose Beckford bachelor bastard of Broad Street London and Jamaica''.......(yes he was a man named Rose LOL).....Anyway, I might have thought he would say the natural son of XYZ if he wanted to say he wasn't legitimate....Beckford was his biological father's surname and the surname he used all his life.....but he felt the need, or his solicitor did, to use ''THAT word'' instead. I now think the B word was perhaps not such a derogatory term in the past.....just a general description of someone born out of wedlock........What do others think? Happy Hunting - Merry x

Heather

Heather Report 15 May 2006 14:54

Oh yes Im sure thats so, otherwise why would people happily had it as a surname for centuries?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 May 2006 14:55

A lot of words which we think of as offensive were actually just the proper word for describing someone or something in the past and they didn't have the same stigma as we put on them today. If the word you read was in an official document (a will), then they were just using proper terminology, the same as solicitors would today. Kath. x

Merry

Merry Report 15 May 2006 15:01

In that case, I will not have quite the same feeling about some vicars who made the B word one of their favourites!! Merry

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 15 May 2006 15:13

I guess its similar to todays changing terminology - when it was used, (before it was abused) it was right and proper- like spastic and Mongel being two i can think of

Merry

Merry Report 15 May 2006 15:20

Yes, good point Jess........My several-greats-uncle was described by his nephew as a ''gay sailor''! LOL Merry

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 15 May 2006 15:49

Merry When I was in engineering I used to use a 'bastard' file. The grooves go in the opposite direction to a normal file. That tool has been used for years, so I guess it was just a word used to explain 'not the norm'. Kim

Heather

Heather Report 15 May 2006 16:10

'Slut' is another word that has changed meaning. It used to mean just a very untidy housewife. Now it has sexual connotations.

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 May 2006 16:55

There's a character in one of Shakespeare's plays called The Bastard. Other characters are also called Bastard - I think its just a way of identifying them rather than an abusive term. nell

Maureen

Maureen Report 15 May 2006 17:03

I have often wondered - what makes a word a 'swear word' it is after all just a word. I have a friend who uses the word 'sugar'; all the time, if she uses it enough does it become swearing?? Mo

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 15 May 2006 17:50

In Elizabethan times it was highly insulting to call somebody naughty. I remember hearing that the 'F' word is so unacceptable because it's short for 'For Christ's Sake', a terrible blasphemy in the past.

Heather

Heather Report 15 May 2006 19:44

Oh Paul, my hero, another interesting snippet. However, how did it become used for the erm, act. I thought it was supposedly from the Germanic tribes use of the word which doesnt tie in with the Christ explanation, does it.

Merry

Merry Report 15 May 2006 20:49

Perhaps Heather, because Paul's phrase is what the wife says when the husband asks if he might be in luck tonight???! Merry

LindyLoo2

LindyLoo2 Report 15 May 2006 22:22

I started doing my family tree because my dad was born illegitimate during the first world war - his mother abandoned him and he was brought up by someone else (never adopted). My mum told us the day after he died as he was too ashamed to tell us kids such was the stigma in those days. He was obviously made to feel ashamed of his past, but this didn't stop him from being a wonderful father and very protective towards his own family. I'm still trying to find his mother and 50% of my family I don't know because things were done behind closed doors then.

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 15 May 2006 23:49

I would imagine the swearword and the word that described a pleasurable experience sounded almost identical and became indistinguishable. After all, in most other languages the top swearword is usually a reference to genitalia, not what they are used for!

Toni

Toni Report 16 May 2006 04:59

I don't really know if B*** was offensive but I suspect that people called a spade a spade back then. A bastard is a person born out of wedlock so that's what they were called. I however am a bit of an old fashioned slut. As for the F word I have heard it is short for : Fornicating Under Consent of the King. It was a bit of a sign to others to stay away. Apparently people were not allowed to do such things without the Kings consent. I can't remember the whole story but I think the King had rights to all women or maybe a womans first time Sorry I cant remember the whole story. Toni

Derek

Derek Report 16 May 2006 05:17

The 'F' word referring to the sexual act came from (I Believe) early prison records when a prisoner was incarcerated for a sex offence. Instead of writing the full term 'For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge', to record the offence, they just wrote the initials. As stated previously, the two similar sounding words probably then merged into one all encompasing expletive. Anyone know different? Derek.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 16 May 2006 05:40

It depends on the context in which a word is used whether or not it is offensive, but how do you know where to draw the line? According to the Oxford dictionary, the word b.....d is the definition of an illegitimate child, or to describe a difficult person, so where is the offence in that? Perhaps it was the stigmatism once attached to being illegitimate that caused it to become offensive. However, the word has also evolved to mean unauthorised, hybrid, counterfeit, not a genuine specimen, still occasionaly used today.

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 17 May 2006 19:32

Perhaps in years to come it will be a terrible insult to call someone a Prescott!

Merry

Merry Report 17 May 2006 19:34

LOL Paul.....I'd be offended NOW if I was called a Prescott!! Merry