Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FTM 2005 printing genealogy report??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Colin

Colin Report 18 May 2006 15:15

I have several census dates on individuals but when I print the report of different generations the print shows only one census year, and may even be a random year.............. Is it possible to print all census years and if so what do I need to do ? Thank you Colin

Elaine

Elaine Report 18 May 2006 15:27

I presume you have entered the census information under FACT - you have gone to FACT, chosen census, put in the date and info - and when you enter more than one census dates you find that only one of these prints out on the genealogy report. Luckily I discovered this early on and found the only way round it was to make new FACTS. So now I have the following listed under FACTS 1841 census 1851 census 1861 census etc etc. You will find that only one type of each FACT is printed out - so the same goes for something like occupation. If you found an occupation in 1881 for example, and have it listed under the occupation fact, and you also found a different occupation for 1885 and have it listed under the occupation fact - only one of these will print out. What I have done is made up new FACTS - for example occupation (1) and occupation (2). Well that sounds very garbled so do hope you can understand it. If not come back and I´ll try to explain again.

Elaine

Elaine Report 18 May 2006 15:34

Just thought of something else, which is what I did for a friend when I was helping her with her tree - is to put the census information in the notes section rather than in the facts section. Really depends how much you have done so far.

Colin

Colin Report 18 May 2006 15:55

Hello again Elaine, You were the one that helped with my last query. Yes...I have included them in facts and have never noticed that it shows only one until today..........your explanation fits perfectly..I have just tried what you have suggested and it works. I have done a family for a friend and have 1200 names......most of them with several census years on them............looks like I have a lot of work to do before I start printing again. Also my own family tree with hundreds of names ........ Thank you very much Elaine..........lesson learned for the future Cheers Colin

Elaine

Elaine Report 18 May 2006 16:00

Glad to be of help. I was quite lucky that I noticed it early on but still had quite a few that I needed to change. May I suggest that when you add the new facts, you add them with the date first e.g. 1841 census, 1851 census etc. It just makes it quicker when you are adding the details because the programme will detect what you are trying to input as soon as you have typed 184..... (if you see what I mean) If you have made the new fact 'census 1841' - then you have got to type virtually the whole thing in before it can distinguish Census 1841 from Census 1851 etc. Must say I thought it was a pain in the a*** - and a very annoying fault with the programme.

Colin

Colin Report 18 May 2006 16:32

Hello again, Just tried a few.....typed in ' census ' and then put in the year in the space lower down..............didn't work..... it just finds the word census in facts and displays only one........just coming back to ask you and there is the explanation before I ask. In the facts box I type 1841 or whatever year and 'census ' leaving the year box blank..... this works.........am I doing it right? Colin

Elaine

Elaine Report 18 May 2006 16:37

Yes thats the only way I found that it would work in Fact box 1841 census leave date box blank put your address/occupation info in box at bottom. Must admit if I had know this before I started my tree I think I would have listed the census information in the Notes section, rather than the facts section.,

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 18 May 2006 16:39

Stange---when i go to Genealogy report it print's all that I have put in and the census year's that I have put in on the --Notes section--

Colin

Colin Report 18 May 2006 16:39

Thank you very much Elaine................really appreciate your help.................. Cheers Colin

Elaine

Elaine Report 18 May 2006 16:45

Ann - thats because your have put them in the Notes section - a very wise move!!! We have put them in the facts section. If you add two facts with the same heading, e.g. Fact - occupation Date - 1880 Details - miner and then Fact - occupation date - 1885 Details - coalminer --- and then print your report - you will find that it will print only one of these. If anyone knows of a way round it then I would love to know. It is a very annoying and serious fault of FTM - and is not explained in the handbook or help section.

Colin

Colin Report 18 May 2006 16:46

You're right Ann........it does print all that is in the notes section................what I have done is use the 'Facts ' to record different census years and thes are visible whenever you open up the file.... but it displays and prints only one census year in ' genealogy report ' and this is pointless when you want all information gathered to be on the report

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 19 May 2006 05:49

I create facts, as Elaine has suggested for recurring information. Occupation 1841 Pedler Occupation 1851 Shoe Mender etc Census Address 1851 21 Acacia Ave Census Address 1861 31 New Bond St Age 1871 52 etc etc The next trick, if you want to print all facts on a Genealogy Report is to go to Contents, Options and make sure the 'Include All Facts' box is ticked and that the 'Display Only Preferred Dates' box is unticked.. If you don't you will have the problem Colin mentioned. I tend to use notes for info that is personal only to the individual, and for recording BMD details i.e. Deaths Jan - Mar 1909 Huddersfield 9a 222 Aged 63 Decide on a system that suits you then stick to it.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 19 May 2006 06:05

And this is the sort of information you will see on your Genealogy report 22. Hugh4 Blundell (John3, Hugh2, John1) was born 27 Oct 1835 in Crossens, North Meols, Lancs, and died Abt. Sep 1907 in Southport. He married Elizabeth Wright Abt. Mar 1859 in North Meols. She was born 1835 in Marshside, North Meols. Notes for Hugh Blundell: Deaths Sep 1907 Ormskirk 8b 466 Blundell Hugh, 71 More About Hugh Blundell: Census Address 1: 1881, Bankfield Lane, North Meols Census Address 2: 1861, Threlfalls Buildings, Marshside Census Address 3: 1871, Crossens Census Address 4: 1891, New Lane, Crossens Christening: 20 Dec 1835, Churchtown Independent Occupation 1: 1851, Handloom Weaver (silk) Occupation 2: 1861, Silk Weaver Occupation 3: 1871, Agricultural Labourer Occupation 4: 1881, Farm Labourer Occupation 5: 1891, Farmer Marriage Notes for Hugh Blundell and Elizabeth Wright: Marriages Mar 1859 Ormskirk 8b 746 Blundell Hugh

Bridget

Bridget Report 19 May 2006 08:43

To add to Peter's excellent reply ... if you make the earliest fact your preferred fact, the list will be generated in date order. And if you find contents box is greyed out, it is because you need to be on the genealogy report view in order to activate it. Happy hunting! Bridget

Colin

Colin Report 19 May 2006 09:24

Thanks Peter and Bridget.....................now off to experiment................All systems work except for the one I chose..........................New ideas are most welcome.....I found that notes can be made smaller or larger.but not sure which look best... but there you are Cheers Colin

Laura The Explorer

Laura The Explorer Report 19 May 2006 09:40

HI Just adding to my list Laura

Horatia

Horatia Report 19 May 2006 11:21

I got round this by putting census information under the residence heading! I do a separate occupation entry (if they have one). Cheers, Horatia

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 19 May 2006 12:48

Can I just say a HUGE thank you to everyone on this thread!!! I have been puzzling for AGES as to how I can print the 'notes' - with FTM 10 the notes section was a sort of mini 'word' with its own tool bar so you could copy/paste/print etc - and now I know :-))))))) I have always before just printed the 'alternate facts' which shows all information added to the facts box for an individual, but nothing else. The only problem I can see with the Genealogy report, is that you HAVE to show 1 generation - i.e. all the children, so my gt gt grandfather for example (who had 13 kids and 2 wives) has a report which is 6 pages long! oh well, too much info is better than too little I suppose! Thanks again! Maz. XX