Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Need to know area of street in 1901 Manchester.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann

Ann Report 26 May 2006 13:54

Hi Can anybody tell me where to look to find which area a street was in 1901. Possibly Ancoats or Cheetham Hill. Thanks Ann

Merry

Merry Report 26 May 2006 13:59

Well, you can use the address search on TNA version of the 1901 census. When you find it, click the rectangular icon to the left of the address to pick up the RG ref numbers......then use these to access the page on Ancestry (if you have a sub) or post the refs on here for someone else to look for you!! Or just post the address here!! LOL Merry

Ann

Ann Report 26 May 2006 14:21

Hi Merry, I have the image from Ancestry, RG13/3750, but no credits left.The name of the Street is Slater St and I thought that there might be a site that would give me the info I need. Thanks Ann

Merry

Merry Report 26 May 2006 14:28

I am obviously mis-reading your reply!!! (LOL - only one wine with lunch!!) It sounds as if you are saying you need to find the image when you already have it??!! Is it the neighbours you want? Merry

Merry

Merry Report 26 May 2006 14:28

Oh, I know!! You want to know about the bits at the top of the page?? Are they not filled in? Just a minute! Merry

Merry

Merry Report 26 May 2006 14:30

Can you tell me someone on the page or the street number please? Merry

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 May 2006 14:30

The RG details you give cover over 8000 people....................do you have any more info to narrow it down. Reg

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 May 2006 14:31

The area is Manchester St George District 2. Reg

Merry

Merry Report 26 May 2006 14:33

Eight thousand and ONE, Reggie!! LOL Merry

Merry

Merry Report 26 May 2006 14:40

I've found it now, I think.... RG13 3750 Folio 153 from page 18 in the ecclesiastical parish of St George in the Field in North Manchester. Was it the reg district you wanted? Merry

Ann

Ann Report 26 May 2006 14:41

Hi Merry and Reggie. I have the image with all the bits at the top. The area of St George in the Fields is not an actual area its only the parish. I need to know the area like Ancoats, Cheetham or Prestwich and thats what it doesnt say. Thanks Ann

Merry

Merry Report 26 May 2006 14:45

In 1901 Manchester is divided into 4 areas: Ancoats Central Cheetham St George and your address comes under St George! Merry (just looking to see if there's any more info.....)

Merry

Merry Report 26 May 2006 14:48

This is the only part on the Description page that isn't on the top of the census page: Reg District: Manchester Sub District: St George Sorry....I don't know any more.....I don't even really know where Manchester is!! LOL (couldn't put my finger on it on a map, I mean!! LOL) Merry

Ann

Ann Report 26 May 2006 16:16

Thanks Merry, I cant believe you dont know where Manchester is. Do you live overseas? Thanks for all your help, but I still need to know the exact place St George in the Fields was. I will phone Manchester Town Hall. Ann

Merry

Merry Report 26 May 2006 16:20

LOL!! I live in Dorset! I know vaguely where it is - Having been as far North as Chester two summers ago....I now know where The Mersey, Liverpool and Birkenhead are, and then you go a bit to the right.......ish!! I used to think manchester was a lot further up....more like where Lancaster is......... Maybe we should all be tested on Geography? I failed the O Level! LOL Merry

Merry

Merry Report 26 May 2006 16:21

GENUKI says St George in the Fields is at Collyhurst. Does that mean anything? Merry

Ann

Ann Report 26 May 2006 16:52

Hi Merry, I was just going to let you know, that I had found area. St George in the Field is now along with a couple of more churches, Manchester Cathedral, which is classed as Collyhurst. Not to far from where my ggrandad lived, which was Cheetham. That at least helps me a little. You will have to visit Manchester, you may get a suprise. Ann

Merry

Merry Report 26 May 2006 17:01

What sort of surprise????????! (I know it's a fantastic place already!) Merry