Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone with supernatural eyesight please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 27 May 2006 19:45

I am trying to read an image.1841 census. The page seems almost blank. My printer/scanner has packed up. Great Faringdon Berks, 10107/18/2 Folio 19 P.32. David Walker what is occ.? what is address. What is the name of man transcribed as Richard Whitenack. Anyone who can help will be my greatest friend. Many thanks Sylvia.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 27 May 2006 19:50

Looks like shoe maker to me Roy

Christine

Christine Report 27 May 2006 19:52

Address: Worlds End Richard Whiteway/Whitway

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 May 2006 19:52

My goodness, it's almost impossible to read. It looks more like Whiteway to me. Kath. x

Anne

Anne Report 27 May 2006 19:53

Address = World's End Occupation Shoe maker Can't make out the name though. Could be Whidway but it really looks as if it ends ..gh. No on a second look the last up stoke is part of the age so I think it ends ...way Anne

Heather

Heather Report 27 May 2006 19:53

Well Im desperate to have a friend, but its a really hard one. Wild guess - thought that the occupation looks like Iron worker or even Shoemaker - but he is surrounded by ag labs? Richard, well gawd knows, possibly Williams?

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 27 May 2006 19:54

address looks like Wolds End had another look it is worlds end Roy

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 May 2006 19:55

I think the line that makes it look like an 'h' at then end of the name, is actually part of the '4' in 40. I agree with the World's End for address and shoemaker for occupation for David. Kath. x

Anne

Anne Report 27 May 2006 19:56

Sorry Kath, I updated and got out of turn!!! Anne

Dianne

Dianne Report 27 May 2006 19:58

Sylvia I think David's occupation is shoe maker. His age seems to be either 25 or 35 on census. I can't find the other chap though. Dianne xx

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 May 2006 19:58

That's o.k. Anne, I think we'll all be squinting before long with images like this one. Kath. x

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 27 May 2006 19:58

A million thanks everyone. I dont know how you read it. I couldnt even find them on the pages. Whiteway is what I was hoping for, I think he is wifes brother my 3xgt.grandad. Sylvia. PS If I went to PRO would I see this image more clearly on microfiche?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 May 2006 19:59

Dianne The other chap is five down from David. Kath. x

Heather

Heather Report 27 May 2006 20:00

Well, now you have said Whiteway ..............yes, I can see it as that!

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 May 2006 20:01

Hallo Address is definitely Worlds End. As to the rest, I can only suggest you try finding them in other records! nell

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 May 2006 20:01

Probably not Sylvia. I'm sure Ancestry has copied it the best they can. Kath. x

Sarah

Sarah Report 27 May 2006 20:02

Blimey, I've just been squinting & couldn't even find David (let alone Richard) but it does say 'Worlds End' Then I came back here to tell you & everyone's already done it, Well, it's just as well 'cos they saw more than I !!! Sarah :-)

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 May 2006 20:02

1851 has these two chaps: Richard Whiteway abt 1793 Highworth, Wiltshire, England Head Great Farringdon Berkshire Richard Whiteway abt 1823 Faringdon, Berkshire, England Head Great Farringdon Berkshire