Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Need some help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Eleanor

Eleanor Report 29 May 2006 19:44

I have a marriage of Alfred Nelson Varney b1858 to a Louisa Barnard b1856. Alfred lived in Wormley, Herts. They have a stepson living with them called William Barnard b1876, so this tells me she herself was once Louisa Barnard. In my search to find her birth name, I look up both of these marriages to find that both marriages were in Sept 1878....one in thetford and one in ware.....I am now totally lost can someone please advise me on what to do now?

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 29 May 2006 19:51

After my cheeky reply to you earlier on I think I owe you some help. I'll have a look.

Eleanor

Eleanor Report 29 May 2006 19:53

Thanks Paul *hug* I do forgive you Hehe

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 29 May 2006 19:54

Louisa Barnard could be her maiden name? William Barnard could have been born out of wedlock? were did you get the info from Alfred Nelson Varney Sept 1878 Louisa Barnard is not shown on the same page at ware her page number is 367 and his is 302 Roy

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 29 May 2006 19:55

Sticky, Sorry to butt in on this thread. What happened about the suitcase? I have been off for a few days and may have missed you conclusion. Vanessa

Eleanor

Eleanor Report 29 May 2006 20:02

Hi Vanessa, The daughter, Angela actually came to the house to collect it. Turns out her brother split with his wife and took that and his other possesions to lodge with a friend around the corner from me this stuff was stored in this friends garage. This friend stole some stuff from my garage one time and must have dumped the suitcase there. This so called friend then told the family that his garage was broken into and everything was stolen so they assumed they would never see it again. She was over the moon to get it back.

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 29 May 2006 20:04

My God sticky!! What an out come!! Well done in reuniting the family with lost links. I was following your link and had to go and sort out some family busness. I love a happy ending!! Vanessa

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 29 May 2006 20:08

I can only find the two marriage entries in Ware - one for Alfred and one for Louisa. What's the Thetford connection?

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 29 May 2006 20:11

were did you get the info from Alfred Nelson Varney Sept 1878 Louisa Barnard is not shown on the same page at ware her page number is 367 and his is 302 also as i said before, Louisa Barnard could be her maiden name? William Barnard could have been born out of wedlock? Roy

Eleanor

Eleanor Report 29 May 2006 20:16

Thanks guys I think I have 2 different Louisa's here, not sure where I picked up the 2, will start over on her and see what I get. Thanks for the ideas, it is possible that she was never married to richard, and Barnard was her birth name. Just got so confusing there Thanks for the assistance

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 29 May 2006 20:23

This could be the birth of the son: Name: Frederick William Barnard Year of Registration: 1877 Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep District: Bethnal Green County: Greater London, London, Middlesex Volume: 1c Page: 186

Eleanor

Eleanor Report 29 May 2006 20:54

Thats him paul, he is living with alfred and louisa in several census. So he holds the london connection, I am just getting lost from there on in with his parents. Unless of course she never married his father. But having those 2 marriages to 2 different ment in the same month and yr (sept 1878) has thrown me right off.

Merry

Merry Report 29 May 2006 21:01

I don't understand????? They both have the same page number from where I'm standing??!!! Marriages Sep 1878 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- BARNARD Louisa Ware 3a 367 VARNEY Alfred Nelson Ware 3a 367 (I have checked the numbers) Merry

Eleanor

Eleanor Report 29 May 2006 21:20

Sorry Merry I am just getting mixed up with another Louisa Barnard I think, the other was born in thetford and married a richard barnard.. Before I realised they were 2 different people I had searched the 2 marriages (1 to richard barnard, and 1 to alfred varney) only to find them at the same time I was hoping to get her maiden name, and instead sent myself on a wild goose chase

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 29 May 2006 21:24

Ah, Merry.... we can always rely on you to find an answer!

Merry

Merry Report 29 May 2006 21:27

Others were saying they think Louisa barnard was single when she had William Barnard.....I would agree - there is a birth reg for a Louisa Barnard in 1853 in Ware district, which may be her. Also......I will look into my crystal ball and give you the cause of death for Alfred N Varney.........!! I bed he died from chest problems....probably TB?? Here's his death reg: Deaths Jun 1891 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Varney Alfred Nelson 33 Kensington 1a 157 and on the 1891 census Nelson Varney abt 1858 Wormley, Hertfordshire, England Patient Kensington London He was in the Brompton Hospital, Kensington....which was a renowned chest hospital. Didn't do him any good though...... Merry

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 29 May 2006 21:31

Merry, I don't understand, I found the marriage earlier this evening and it gave me the page number 302 for Alfred Nelson Varney, when i clicked on to see others on page Louisa Barnard was not their, so i put her name in with quarter and year and then looked at the image and it had her as page 367, Just read your post so checked again and it came up with them both on the same page. Roy

Eleanor

Eleanor Report 29 May 2006 21:32

YES! I did see him as a patient there and wondered what he happened to him!! At least he was kind enough to pass over right after a census so we at least know what happened to him, instead of just disappearing! I now do not think Louisa was married before even though she had a son, On a census she gives her place of birth as Hertford Heath which is very close to where they lived in Wormley So mystery over I think Thanks for all the help guys, you lot on here are honestly the most helpful bunch ive come across ;)