Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A Search In OZ .....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

The Ego

The Ego Report 31 May 2006 13:44

Ive trawled oz white pages,phoned about 50 people,looked at classified and notice archive records from the Sydney Morning Herald,phoned the solicitor that the family used in the 1970's-they said they dont keep records that long- have their adresses from 1975 in Sydney-they have disappeared-looked on USA SSI-nothing- googled their names -nothing.......any pointers from you ozzie people would be appreciated-details below.

The Ego

The Ego Report 31 May 2006 13:55

Harold C. Smith born 1912ish Liverpool England (C= Cain) Beryl L. Barrett(sp?) 1910 ish Australian born. married 1935 in Toowoomba. They had at least 2 children,boy and girl. Boy= Harold B. Smith (B= Barrett) called barry. Girl=? born round 1940-1950 Both called Barrett-Smith as surname. Lived in Sydney Parents loved bowls(have phoned almost 20 bowling clubs long established near their addresses-no luck) They had a patent for a valve supposedly called the Cain-Smith valve and were interested in extending it to Europe in the 1970's.(cant find any mention of this on net) A tyre business was mentioned (?)-have contacted businesses in this sphere in Sydney-no recollection. Adresses in Sydney were in Penant Hills area and they had a few bob.No longer at the 2 addresses given and have phoned people in the street-no luck. Have had trouble working out how to find who has died etc-or where Barry might be-have considered the possibility of them going to thye states,but the family had been there a long time.

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 31 May 2006 14:39

This seems to be the valve, for what it's worth: http://v3.espacenet*com/textdoc?DB=EPODOC&IDX=GB1249543&F=0 (replace asterisk with dot)

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 31 May 2006 14:43

Beryl Barrett born 1896 in Cobar, NSW, parents George H Barrett and Margaretta M Higgins, married Blayney, 1895.

The Ego

The Ego Report 31 May 2006 14:44

awesome mary-but cant get the link.

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 31 May 2006 14:48

Sorry, I've fixed it. Hard to find any more information from the NSW BMD index, because births only go up to 1905, marriages to 1955 and deaths to 1975. No Barrett-Smiths that I can see in the Ryerson death index.

The Ego

The Ego Report 31 May 2006 14:50

got there eventually-trying another browser- found 2 refs -a GB application and a US one in 1971

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 31 May 2006 14:55

They may have moved to a different State. There's a Rhonda Barrett-Smith at Curtin University in Perth.

The Ego

The Ego Report 31 May 2006 14:58

yes i was trying to relocate that name-i think shes a lecturer- having got the patent link if you click on legal details- it shows who the patent has passed on to and i can only assume from the dates given that harold died in 1985.....it also gives a name -Frances ann Burke-thats the daughter i couldnt remember- no mention of the son-interesting-and also it goes to court and the patent is now under corporate ownership.

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 31 May 2006 15:01

Which area was his last-known address?

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 31 May 2006 15:08

OK, found him - I'd forgotten the unusual middle name: This is a summary of the obituary from the Sydney Morning Herald: SMITH,Harold Cain 31OCT1978 67 Death late of Epping 02NOV1978 SMH http://www.rootsweb*com/~nswsdps/ausds277.htm

The Ego

The Ego Report 31 May 2006 15:09

sydney -penant hills area

The Ego

The Ego Report 31 May 2006 15:10

i tried smh website-how did you get that?

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 31 May 2006 15:11

From the Ryerson Index, at the address I've linked to.

The Ego

The Ego Report 31 May 2006 15:13

The cain part is from his mother called Annie Cain-irish family who came to liverpool and started the cain brewery which is still going now-in name only.His wife Beryl was a snob,Smith was too common ,lol.... so poor old harold died 3 years after his brother did in sydney-how strange because the last contact was at his brothers funeral -my nan went over there- and they didnt bother contacting anyone ??.....bizarre .

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 31 May 2006 15:22

Families can be very weird.

The Ego

The Ego Report 31 May 2006 15:32

really appreciate this mary.......

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 31 May 2006 15:33

Do I win a prize? A share of the patent royalties would do... :-)

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 31 May 2006 15:35

I can't find a death for either of the children, so they're probably either still alive or not in NSW.

The Ego

The Ego Report 31 May 2006 15:37

ive been told that the son was the boss but he isnt named in 1985 on the patent applications ... my nans 3 brothers -2 went to oz-one lived nearby-she was never told when either harold or one nearby died ....wierd