Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Suggestions please for this puzzle - SOLVED Thanks

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 1 Jun 2006 15:49

Information that I had been given said that Norman Brown married Dolly Dines in 1919 and died in 1920. I checked back to the 1901 census and found his name was actually Ernest Norman Brown. I checked on Ancestry from 1918 to 1921 for both the marriage and his death (under Ernest and Norman). I also thought that maybe he was married at 19 and died at 20, so checked from 1914 through to 1917. I also tried to find a birth for Dolly Dines around the same time as him (c1895), but no luck. Don't know if Dolly was her given name. I'm at a loss as to where to look next.

Jack

Jack Report 1 Jun 2006 15:57

There are several birth entries for Doris Dines around 1900. Where do you think she was born? Jack

Margaret

Margaret Report 1 Jun 2006 16:05

Hi. I have no info at all on Dolly except that she married Norman (he is my relation). He was born in Poplar and his family lived in Middlesex for the longest time.

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Jun 2006 16:07

Without the marriage cert you don't know how old either Ernest/Norman or Dolly were and therefore can't really find the right birth cert. The marriage cert would give their fathers' names and occupations which would help in finding them on a census. Dolly might have started off as Dorothy or Dorothea? nell

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 1 Jun 2006 16:11

1918 1Q 4a p.894 Romford Dorothy e. Dines Ernest N. Brown

Margaret

Margaret Report 1 Jun 2006 16:16

Nell, I have the listing for Norman's birth on FreeBMD and he is on the 1901 census with his parents and grandmother visiting, so I know he was born in 1895. Just a thought....was there a war happening around 1920 -- maybe he was killed in action, so therefore his death wouldn't be listed on the regular BMD sites. Where would I check for that?

Jack

Jack Report 1 Jun 2006 16:17

There is a Dorothy Emmeline Dines b1897 in West Ham which I think (being an ignorant Northerner!) is in a similar part of London to Poplar.

Margaret

Margaret Report 1 Jun 2006 16:17

Sylvia, Where did you find that? That looks like it might be my people.

Margaret

Margaret Report 1 Jun 2006 16:18

Jack, That might be the same lady Sylvia found for the marriage.

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Jun 2006 16:18

Using middle E. as a guide, this could be her in 1901 East Ham Essex Walter H Dines abt 1876 Grays, Essex, Head schoolmaster Emmeline S Dines abt 1876 Colchester, Essex, England Wife >>>> Dorothy E Dines abt 1898 Upton Park, Essex, Daughter Percy C Nisbett abt 1881 Colchester, Essex, Brother-in-law Frank S Nisbett abt 1883 Terling, Essex,Brother-in-law Edith Fairhurst abt 1884 Coventry, Warwickshire, Visitor Martha Joyce abt 1881 Limehouse, London, England Servant nell

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 1 Jun 2006 16:18

A possible birth for Dorothy? Births Dec 1897 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Dines Dorothy Emmeline W Ham 4a 270

Jack

Jack Report 1 Jun 2006 16:22

Upton Park and West Ham are the same (the soccer team play there) and it looks like she took her mother's name as a middle name. I've also looked at the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site and can't find him KIA. Maybe he died in the 'flu epidemic at the time? One of my relatives did.

Margaret

Margaret Report 1 Jun 2006 16:29

Thank you for all your help ladies - I don't know how I could have missed that marriage entry....maybe with blurred vision from looking for too long!! I'm off to look for his death now. He was the last piece of a puzzle for that part of the family.

Margaret

Margaret Report 1 Jun 2006 17:14

OK -- I've had a look and the likeliest ones agewise that I could see between 1918 and 1923 died in Southwell and Driffield. Any ideas where these places are?

Jack

Jack Report 1 Jun 2006 17:25

Southwell is in Nottinghamshire and Driffield is in East Yorkshire. Both nowhere near London, I'm afraid! Jack

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 1 Jun 2006 17:26

Southwell in Nottingham Driffield in Yorkshire I found a death in Poplar 1920. Right district but age was 33. Too old? Sylvia

Margaret

Margaret Report 1 Jun 2006 17:26

Thanks Jack - maybe he went awandering...

Margaret

Margaret Report 1 Jun 2006 17:30

Sylvia, Based on his DOB on the 1901 census and FreeBMD (1895) I was looking for age 23 in 1918 to age 28 in 1823.

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 1 Jun 2006 18:03

ERNEST N. BROWN WHITECHAPEL 1924 AGE 29 2Q 1c 205

Margaret

Margaret Report 1 Jun 2006 19:31

Sylvia, You're brilliant. That's about the right area - have rellies on his grandmother's side of the family born/living around there. Trust me to stop just before finding it - I guess I was focused too much on what I'd been told: married one year, died the next. Figured that 5 years later was far enough!! Many thanks. Margaret