Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

would this have been normal

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jean

Jean Report 3 Jun 2006 12:54

I have just received a marriage certificate for david parry clark and harriott baker married 1867, they have 5 children all born before then, would this have been the norm. have checked on ancestry they were together in 1861, cant find them on 1851, first child born 1848. they were both 44 when married. jean

Merry

Merry Report 3 Jun 2006 13:00

I think anything seems to be the norm!!! When I started doing family history, I thought Victorians were straight-laced, goody-goody and prim and proper!! LOL Is it possible either of them had a previous spouse and they had waited for that person to die before marrying? Merry

Jean

Jean Report 3 Jun 2006 13:01

hi merry, thought of that, but I cant find him or them on 51 census. jean

Merry

Merry Report 3 Jun 2006 13:03

Could you post some 1861 details, so I can see tham on that one....?? Merry

Jean

Jean Report 3 Jun 2006 13:09

hi merry, not sure what details you want, here goes, david parry clark born 1823 in hornchurch, essex, married or with harriot baker born maidstone, kent 1824, its def them on 1861 census. I have the source details and the folio and page in you need them. jean

Elaine

Elaine Report 3 Jun 2006 13:15

1861 for reference Ann Clark abt 1852 Bearsted, Kent, England Daughter Maidstone Kent Charlotte Clark abt 1848 Loose, Kent, England Daughter Maidstone Kent David Clark abt 1823 Hornchurch, Essex, England Head Maidstone Kent Harriot Clark abt 1824 Barming, Kent, England Wife Maidstone Kent Isabel Clark abt 1859 Maidstone, Kent, England Daughter Maidstone Kent Lizza Clark abt 1856 Maidstone, Kent, England Daughter Maidstone Kent Sarah Clark abt 1855 Maidstone, Kent, England Daughter Maidstone Kent

Merry

Merry Report 3 Jun 2006 13:15

OK. I've found them in 1861......going to look in 1851.....fingers crossed! Merry

Elaine

Elaine Report 3 Jun 2006 13:16

found this one in 1851 Harriet Baker abt 1825 Barming, Kent, England Visitor Bearsted Kent Rose Baker abt 1846 Loose, Kent, England Visitor Bearsted Kent Charlotte Clark abt 1828 Loose, Kent, England Daughter Bearsted Kent David Clark abt 1824 Romford, Essex, England Head Bearsted Kent Matilda Clark abt 1850 Loose, Kent, England Daughter Bearsted Kent Charlotte is aged 3 - therefore born 1848 David listed as married - occupation general dealer address Bearsted Street ?? Harriett listed as unmarried - occupation house servant, cook

Merry

Merry Report 3 Jun 2006 13:21

Oooh Elaine, I was just going to post that!! LOL Merry

Elaine

Elaine Report 3 Jun 2006 13:23

sorry about that Merry !

Merry

Merry Report 3 Jun 2006 13:26

Ggrrrr! Can't see birth regs for Charlotte or Matilda. Would have been good, to help find mum. ( I have only checked FreeBMD though) Merry

Elaine

Elaine Report 3 Jun 2006 13:35

This really is a long shot - but could they have been Bakers Matilda Elizabeth Baker Year of Registration: 1850 Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar District: Maidstone County: Kent Volume: 5 Page: 357 Charlotte Davies Clark Baker Year of Registration: 1848 Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar District: Maidstone County: Kent Volume: 5 Page: 329 Registration district for Loose = Maidstone

Merry

Merry Report 3 Jun 2006 13:36

Aaaahhhhhh!! Marriages Dec 1841 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- CLARKE David Parry Romford 12 436 HORSELER Rachel Romford 12 436 So, what happened to Rachel??! (assuming there are no more names awaiting transcription) Merry

Merry

Merry Report 3 Jun 2006 13:38

Elaine....those reg's look good, esp Charlotte's!! I think your David was a naughty boy, Jean! LOL Merry

Merry

Merry Report 3 Jun 2006 13:41

I do wonder if this is ''our Rachel'' having another stab at marriage?? (would have to see how many Rachel's there are on the 1841 and 1851 census, but there are none spelled this way!) Name: Rachel Horseler Year of Registration: 1851 Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec District: Sheppey County: Kent Volume: 5 Page: 701 Pos spouses: Charles Knight William John Penny John Fryday Ratcliff Henry Samuel Smith Merry

Elaine

Elaine Report 3 Jun 2006 13:41

1851 census David was listed as married - not widowed

Merry

Merry Report 3 Jun 2006 13:46

Exactly, Elaine.....and possibly to someone called Rachel (though I can't see a Rachel Clark or Rachel Horseler anywhere in 1851. Maybe she was in an asylum?) Merry

Jean

Jean Report 3 Jun 2006 14:16

hi merry and elaine, sorry for the delay in replying, had to get lunch and put washing out. thanks for the help, yes thats def them, it would seem that david was up to something, think I will be sending for some more certificates then. thanks again jean