Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New Zealand Soldier

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Samantha

Samantha Report 4 Jun 2006 09:14

My great great grandad was a new zealand soldier. His name was John Breedon and in the 1901 census he was 'living' at shoeburyness barracks. Any tips on tracing his further than that? Thanks Sam x

Georgina

Georgina Report 4 Jun 2006 09:27

Sam I cant see him on the 1901 census, when was he born? Georgina.

Samantha

Samantha Report 4 Jun 2006 10:36

Hi He is on the 1901 census, living in shoebury ness barracks. Born in new zealand in abt 1878 sam

Samantha

Samantha Report 4 Jun 2006 10:36

Georgina I've already found him on the census - I want to know where to go from there....

Elaine

Elaine Report 4 Jun 2006 10:50

Am not doubting your information, but are you sure he was born in New Zealand or have you got this information from the 1901 census. I can´t see him on the census - can you give us the reference.

Georgina

Georgina Report 4 Jun 2006 10:59

Samantha I take it he married in England, if you find his marriage certificate it will give you his fathers name. You can then google 'New Zealand GRO' and apply for a Birth certificate search. Georgina.

Elaine

Elaine Report 4 Jun 2006 11:18

This is the only John I can find on the 1901 census who was living in the barracks and born in New Zealand John Rutland abt 1878 New Zealand Solder South Shoebury Essex Can´t see your John Breedon

Samantha

Samantha Report 4 Jun 2006 11:22

Sorry guys - too much 'vino collapso' lasy night...I meant john rutland....and it appears he never married here...or at least I can;t find a marriage certificate. My great grandma was born in 1897 and in 901, her father, john RUTLAND was registered as single in the census sorry for being such a dumb blonde... Sam x

The Ego

The Ego Report 4 Jun 2006 11:51

Marriages Jun 1904 John Rutland John Derby 7b 1165 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Marriages Dec 1904 Rutland John Staines 3a 32 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Marriages Jun 1907 RUTLAND John Burton 6b 591 these are the only 3 marriages on free bmd between the census and 1910......you'll need to trawl the bmd entries manually on ancestry for after this or use family relatives site for up to 1920. There are free bmd sites that relate to single counties after this period .I suggest you start with Essex and range outwards,and also knowing where different army barracks would help. The staines marriage looks interesting-Staines being close to London.......he may have been called up for WW1 aswell despite his age- my ggrandfather served and was born in 1880-his previous army experience might have helped and who knows he may well still have been in the army by 1914.

Samantha

Samantha Report 4 Jun 2006 12:00

Thanks alter ego.. I agree that the staines marriage looks interesting and if my geography is correct (it usually isn't!) Staines is near essex. How would I trace soldiers serving in WW!? Sam

Georgina

Georgina Report 4 Jun 2006 12:06

What was your Great Grandmothers name who was born in 1897? Georgina.

Samantha

Samantha Report 4 Jun 2006 12:12

Georgina Her name was mary rutland. She was born in Belper, derbyshire in 1897. She was married to william breedon in either Belper or Ripley, derbyshire. At the time of their marriage both their addresses where registered as 6 providence street ripley. sam

Georgina

Georgina Report 4 Jun 2006 12:19

Sam do you have her birth certificate? If you do what info does it give about her parents, I cant see Mary Rutland born Derbyshire on the 1901 census. If her parents were not married when she was born her birth may be registered in her mothers maiden name. Georgina.

Samantha

Samantha Report 4 Jun 2006 12:24

I couldn't find her on the 1901 census either. She was definitly born in belper - I have found her birth registered (awaiting birth certificate) . I have her marriage certificate and her father is John Rutland, Born New Zealand, Soldier. I would really like to trace john rutland...How can I find where he went after 1901. I know that my great grandman (mary rutland/breedon) never talked about her parents and I know that my grandma and great aunts never vistied their grand parents on their mothers side. Our current line of theought is that mary rutland was born out of wedlock, she must have been to be born in 1897 and her father registered as single in 1901. I have no experience in tracing family members from abroad or in the military. Sam

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 4 Jun 2006 12:32

You can check the CWGC site to see if he was killed in WW1: http://www.cwgc.org/debt_of_honour.asp?menuid=14 and the National Archives to see if you can find his medal card: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/medals.asp

Georgina

Georgina Report 4 Jun 2006 12:35

Sam I think you are going to have to wait until you get the birth certificate for Mary Rutland born in Derbyshire and find out her mothers name. She may not be your Mary because normally if the mother was single when she gave birth then the child usually takes her surname. If her mother was single she may have married someone else between 1897-1901 and be on the census under another name. I have looked on the IGI for John Rutlands birth in New Zealand but there is nothing showing, you could try googling 'new zealand armed forces' and see what info it throws up. Georgina.

Samantha

Samantha Report 4 Jun 2006 12:47

I understand what you're saying about if women where single the child took her name, but my mary breedon nee rutland has on her marriage certificate - given to me by my grandma ( her daughter). That her maiden name is rutland and her father was john rutland a corporal in the new zealand army. I'm not really bothered about persuing mary rutland for now because I remember her, I know she exsisted, when she died where she lived etc... and I want to persue the line of John Rutland.

Salty

Salty Report 4 Jun 2006 16:20

Samantha, Staines is near Heathrow Airport, Shoeburyness is 4 miles from Southend. Rod