Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Strange puzzle!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

hooch

hooch Report 12 Jun 2006 15:18

I have a very strange puzzle and cant figure it out I have found my grand dads birth marriage death eventually lol but my nanna ive hit a brick wall :( I cant find a birth for her at all does any one know why this is? she married my grandad in 1930 so thought mmmm born between 1907 (as was my grandad) and 1910 cant find a thing gone from 1903 right upto 1915 (long shot I know lol and not possible as they married in 1930) cant find it anywhere can anyone shed any light as to why? ive tried to widen the search to worldwide but still a blank please help im going nuts here lol Angie

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Jun 2006 15:23

You need the marriage cert if you haven't already got it. That will tell you her age at the time, plus the name and occupation of her father. Could she have been married before? What was her full name when she married? Reg

hooch

hooch Report 12 Jun 2006 15:37

Hi Reg thank u for replying x Unfortunately im still waiting for the marriage certificate to come through (I ordered it online 3 weeks ago and they have a backlog) Dont think my nanna was married before her full name was Ethel Frances Mabel Dodd they married in the summer of 1930. my grandads name was John Henry Arthur Webb My grandad died in 1941 aged 33 my nanna went on to remarry in 1946 found all that plus all my aunts and uncles etc just hit a very big brick wall with my nanna :(

Krissie

Krissie Report 12 Jun 2006 15:44

Which county, Angela? Then you can look in the local BMD's.

Janice

Janice Report 12 Jun 2006 15:55

Hi Angela, When did your nanna die? Her death entry will have her date of birth if it's recent enough. Janice

Barbara

Barbara Report 12 Jun 2006 15:56

just a thought but have you looked earlier, I have a few female rellies who were older than their partners by a few years, one by 10 years.. Barbara..xx

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Jun 2006 16:20

The marriage was registered in Nottingham......... Reg

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Jun 2006 16:21

It's possible she was married before; its possible she was born earlier than your grandfather; its possible she was registered as female Dodd or with different names. nell

Kate

Kate Report 12 Jun 2006 16:22

Angie, if I were you I would wait for the marriage certificate to arrive and take it from there. Kate.

hooch

hooch Report 12 Jun 2006 16:36

Hi Everyone Thank u all so very much for taking the time to try and help me solve my puzzle xxx Yep reg they were married in Nottingham xx thats where my grandad was born too havnt got a clue where nanna was born thought maybe she may have been foreign but tried searching the BMD for england wales and other countries but nothing. Tried to go back as far as 1903 thinking that maybe she was older than grandad but still nothing :( saying that tho I have 1 photo of her with my dad and his 2 brothers and she only looks to be in her early 20's in the pic (either that or she's very good for her age thanx nanna lol) also searched the 1901 cencus that drew a blank too. when I get the marriage certificate will it have her place of birth on it? or just her address at time of marriage? will it have her dads place of birth? looks like got to sit on my hands and be patient lol not a easy thing for me Thank u all so very much I really appreciate all your help and advice Angie xx

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Jun 2006 16:41

The marriage cert will give you her age and status at the time, plus her place of residence. Her father's name and occupation will be recorded........but nothing else. You may find the witnesses' names to be helpful............. Reg

Janice

Janice Report 12 Jun 2006 17:37

Angie, Think you missed my question. When did she die and what was her name at death? Janice

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 12 Jun 2006 21:26

Why assume she was born in England?

hooch

hooch Report 13 Jun 2006 02:24

Thank u Reggie xxx Hi Janice sorry did miss ya Q's sorry :( (teenage kids for ya demanding my cooking skills lol) My nannas name changed in 1946 to Ethel Frances Mabel Colbert dont know when she died tho still searching for that too presuming she didnt divorce or change her name again :( or indeed that she has died (wishfull thinking on my part longed for a nanna lol never had one ya see) Hi Paul thats the prob ya see my dad seems to think she was foreign but wasnt sure whether that was my dad making up childhood stories or if it was true im kinda thinking now it is true dad says she was of spanish origin but that a few generations back (maybe my dads great grandparents were from india) but as said not sure if that is true I do know tho that ive olive skin and dark brown eyes and hair so maybe it is true after all this is hard lol thanx a millian everyone for trying to help me solve this puzzle it means the world to me it really does xxxxxxxxxxxx

hooch

hooch Report 13 Jun 2006 04:07

another puzzling update!!!!!!!! just sat and searched through Death registers from 1952 through to 1983 and no death for my nanna during them dates with the name Ethel Frances Mabel Colbert. So im thinking nanna either divorced and reverted back to either Dodd (her mainden name or Webb her first married name) or she died after 1983. I need to get some sleep lol ill have to search the whole lot again in a couple of hours using her other names. Maybe she isnt dead! right off to bed I go too much thinking happening here lol. Thank u all once again your stars xxxxxxxxxxxx Angie xxx

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 13 Jun 2006 04:23

Hi Angela, What's your dad's name and dob? Her maiden name will be listed next to his entry. Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 13 Jun 2006 04:26

There's this: Name: Ethel Frances M Birkinshaw Year of Registration: 1906 Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep District: Nottingham County: Nottinghamshire Volume: 7b Page: 337 Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 13 Jun 2006 04:31

Things to consider: Maybe she wasn't Ethel Frances Mabel when her birth was registered. My grandmother's name changed by the time she was baptised. She was registered with a first and a middle name, but by the time of the baptism her parents had added another name and she was later known by that new name. Could be she was born out of wedlock. Her mother married later and she then used her new surname. Rose

ValT

ValT Report 13 Jun 2006 10:03

Hi Birth Dodd Ethel F Garlick Northampton.3b 65 Birth 1 1912 Death Dodd Ethel Frances 10 DEC 1911 Wantage 7051 20B 035 Death Dec 1995 Dec 1995 Marriage Dodd Sidney A Northampton.3b 187 Marriage Sep 1910 Garlick Florence Northampton.3b 187 Marriage Sep 1910 Have you looked at these? Val

Janice

Janice Report 13 Jun 2006 17:51

How sure are you of her first names? There's an Ethel May Colbert death in 1997 in Mansfield - birth given as Nov 1905 and there's an Ethel May Dodd born in the last quarter of 1905 in Birmingham. Coincidence? Janice