Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

hitting a brick wall

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pauline

Pauline Report 19 Jun 2006 14:26

Can someone help me??? I am totally lost on trying to trace my grandfather.Diffrent cenus's give a different place of birth so I cannot trace him.The only thing,s I know for certain is his name his age and where he lived in 1901 where my father was born. Has anyone any tip,s for me. Pauline

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Jun 2006 14:29

Do you want to give us some names, dates, places. Someone on here I have no doubt will be able to help. Gloria :-))))

Merry

Merry Report 19 Jun 2006 14:30

Give us the 1901 census details then! Merry

Pauline

Pauline Report 19 Jun 2006 14:33

Henry john Hurst born 1853 not sure whether Dorset or Southampton.1901 he lived in Liverpool and he married my grandmother in 1890.That is all I know for cerain. Pauline

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Jun 2006 14:47

1901 ????? Record Dermott Hurst abt 1891 Liverpool, Lancashire, England Son Everton Lancashire ******View Record Henry Hurst abt 1853 Southampton Head Everton Lancashire View Record James Hurst abt 1896 Liverpool, Lancashire, England Son Everton Lancashire View Record Jannet Hurst abt 1892 Middlesborough, Yorkshire, England Son Everton Lancashire View Record Margaret Hurst abt 1850 Hanley, Staffordshire, England Wife Everton Lancashire View Record Marion Hurst abt 1894 Tranmere, Cheshire, England Daughter Everton Lancashire View Record Pauline Hurst abt 1898 Liverpool, Lancashire, England Daughter Everton Lancashire Gloria :-))))

Pauline

Pauline Report 19 Jun 2006 15:39

This is the right Henry married Margaret McDermott 1889 Liverpool but cant anything prievious to this. Thank you everyone for your help. Pauline

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Jun 2006 16:05

Just to confuse the issue, how about this in 1881. Could he have been married before? View Record Caroline Hurst abt 1846 Winchester, Hampshire, England Wife Southampton St Mary Hampshire *****View Record Henry Hurst abt 1853 Southampton, Hampshire, England Head Southampton St Mary Hampshire View Record William H. Hurst abt 1875 Southampton, Hampshire, England Son Southampton St Mary Hampshire Gloria

Pauline

Pauline Report 19 Jun 2006 16:17

I think Henry was married twice but could never find him on any other cenus.I will check this out Pauline

Horatia

Horatia Report 19 Jun 2006 16:25

Is this Henry on the 1861? If so he was born at Eling, Hampshire which is a parish suburb of Southampton John Harding abt 1851 Romsey, Hampshire, England Servant Romsey Extra Hampshire Charlotte Hurst abt 1845 Millbrook, Hampshire, England Daughter Romsey Extra Hampshire Clara Hurst abt 1841 Millbrook, Hampshire, England Daughter Romsey Extra Hampshire Frank E Hurst abt 1860 Romsey, Hampshire, England Son Romsey Extra Hampshire George A Hurst abt 1850 Eling, Hampshire, England Son Romsey Extra Hampshire Hannah K Hurst abt 1856 Romsey Extra, Hampshire, England Daughter Romsey Extra Hampshire Harriet Hurst abt 1843 Millbrook, Hampshire, England Daughter Romsey Extra Hampshire Henry Hurst abt 1811 Whiteparish, Wiltshire, England Head Romsey Extra Hampshire Henry J Hurst abt 1853 Eling, Hampshire, England Son Romsey Extra Hampshire Septima Hurst abt 1847 Millbrook, Hampshire, England Daughter Romsey Extra Hampshire Maria Hurst abt 1814 Minstead, Hampshire, England Wife Romsey Extra Hampshire Mary J Hurst abt 1835 Millbrook, Hampshire, England Daughter Romsey Extra Hampshire Ann Meacher abt 1842 Eling, Hampshire, England Servant Romsey Extra Hampshire

Pauline

Pauline Report 19 Jun 2006 18:21

Thank you everyone for all your help.I have no way of tieing anyone up but I will keep trying Thank you all Pauline

Merry

Merry Report 19 Jun 2006 19:55

I don't quite understand your last comment? At the beginning you said this man was your grandfather.......do you have the birth cert for his child who was your parent? If so, what were the details on that cert? UPDATE Oops, just noticed I missed one of your replies! Sorry. Still confused? Merry

Merry

Merry Report 20 Jun 2006 21:20

PLEASE CAN SOME OTHERS LOOK AT THIS AND HELP ME???!!!! I'm copying some of what's gone before, in order to make it easier to understand..... 1901: Henry Hurst abt 1853 Southampton Head Everton Lancashire Margaret Hurst abt 1850 (mistranscribed, should be 1864) Hanley, Staffordshire, England Wife Everton Lancashire Dermott Hurst abt 1891 Liverpool, Lancashire, England Son Everton Lancashire Jannet Hurst abt 1892 Middlesborough, Yorkshire, England Son Everton Lancashire Marion Hurst abt 1894 Tranmere, Cheshire, England Daughter Everton Lancashire James Hurst abt 1896 Liverpool, Lancashire, England Son Everton Lancashire Pauline Hurst abt 1898 Liverpool, Lancashire, England Daughter Everton Lancashire Henry was a cabinet maker. Note how much they move around. 1891: George Herst abt 1853 Wimborne, Dorset, England Head Liverpool Lancashire Margerite Herst abt 1864 Rugeley, Staffordshire, England Wife Liverpool Lancashire Jack Herst abt 1878 Liverpool Son Liverpool Lancashire Ethel Herst abt 1882 Liverpool Daughter Liverpool Lancashire Lilly Herst abt 1884 Liverpool Daughter Liverpool Lancashire Dermott Herst abt 1890 Liverpool Son Liverpool Lancashire Above, Henry has miraculously become George! He is a joiner. It's a good job they had the boy, Dermott, or I wouldn't have found them! (that's if it IS the same family....but Dermot would appear to confirm it.) Marriages Jun 1889 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- HURST Henry John Liverpool 8b 238 McDermott Margaret Liverpool 8b 238 Margaret was the mother of Dermott and the younger children, above, but presumably not of Jack, Ethel and Lilly. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I spent a LONG time looking for Jack (John?) Hurst b abt 1878, as he should be on the 1881 census. The only ''match'' I could find was this family: 1881 George HURST Head M Male 29 Southampton, Hampshire, England Joiner Elizabeth HURST Wife M Female 20 Awbridge, Hampshire, England Joiners Wife Maud HURST Daur Female 8 Montreal, Canada Scholar Mable HURST Daur Female 6 Liverpool, Lancashire, England Scholar John HURST Son Male 2 Salisbury, Wiltshire, England As you see....John shows as born Salisbury, but as his older sibling was born in Liverpool it's easy to see how a mistake might have been made on one of the censuses. BTW, Elizabeth Hurst is actually 30, not 20 in 1881! Note how much they move about, just like the 1901 family. I couldn't find birth regs for the Liverpool-born children (according to the 1891 census) - Jack, Ethel and Lilly.....Now I can't find birth reg's for Mabel and John (from 1881) either!!! Are the regs in mum's maiden name? The only Elizabeth born in Awbridge in about 1850 was called Baker. Not exactly an uncommon name! Pauline has told me some interesting things from the 1892 marriage cert. Henry Hurst said he was a bachelor - yet he appeared to have three children and if he is George, then he seems to have had a wife before too plus a couple more children!! Henry said his father was (another) Henry Hurst a farrier. The only helpful bit was that one of the witnesses was Mabel Hurst (not a common name, but she seems to be daughter of the bachelor, according to the 1881 census)!!!!! The other witness was Howard Hughes!!! (LOL LOL!!) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ So are George and Henry one and the same? What happened to Elizabeth? Did she die (or not!)? Were Henry/George and Elizabeth never married? Where is George/Henry before 1881?? And a zillion-and-one other questions! Exhausted Merry (off to have a jacket spud now!)

Merry

Merry Report 20 Jun 2006 21:46

Pretty please?!! (see last post) That 1881 census address was New Road, St Mary Extra, Southampton, Hampshire. St Mary Extra is in South Stoneham reg district. There was an Ethel born there in 1881: Name: Ethel Emily Hurst Year of Registration: 1881 Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec District: South Stoneham County: Hampshire Volume: 2c Page: 53 I wonder who gave the 1891 census data?! Merry

Merry

Merry Report 20 Jun 2006 22:07

QUESTION FOR PAULINE! Pauline....in one of your pm's to me you said: ''I know he was married twice and there are 3 children at least from the first marriage but dont know who the mother was.Jack abt1871 Ethel abt 1871 Lily abt 1874 as you can see it is a real mystery.'' When I read this I thought you had the names from the 1891 census.....but I've just noticed all the dates are different. Please can you confirm whether you just made an error with the dates, or if you had not seen that 1891 census before today, but had the names from family memories etc?? Merry

Merry

Merry Report 20 Jun 2006 22:08

Cheers Gillian! Merry

Merry

Merry Report 20 Jun 2006 22:17

Lol! I've finished it now thanks! Tuna, sweetcorn and mayonnaise! Merry

Merry

Merry Report 20 Jun 2006 22:20

I agree about the Canada bit, Gerry. People don't have to be of full age to be a witness. You just have to be considered responsible enough to know that someone has signed their name.....so probably 14+. Ummmm......................It's taken me four hours to find this Mabel!!! LOL Merry

Pauline

Pauline Report 21 Jun 2006 10:27

hi merry what question did you want to ask me, george and henry are the same person as on the 1891 census I am sorry I started you on this quest as it is a nightmare. what else can I help you with.I assumed that Henry had been married twice because of the earlier children.I was not sure of the birth dates of the children sort of guessed. pauline

Merry

Merry Report 21 Jun 2006 11:43

I was just wondering if you knew the names of Jack, Ethel and Lily through info gleened from your family, or through looking at the 1891 census? Anyway......the more I look at it, the more certain I am that George b 1852 Southampton George b 1853 Wimborne Henry b 1853 Southampton (from the three census returns) are one and the same person. The only thing that bothers me is WHY he didn't marry the first time around? Or, perhaps he did, but if Elizabeth wasn't dead when he married Margaret, that might explain him giving the status of bachelor, rather than widower!! (in denial!) If you haven't come across this before, you might think it's a bit far fetched, but I'm afraid bigamy was a much more commonplace thing in Victorian times than today - mainly because of the social stigma and excessive cost of getting a divorce. If it were me I would probably order the South Stoneham birth cert for Ethel Hurst. I realise this is a waste of money if it isn't their Ethel, but I can't see what else you can do? If that birth cert is Ethel's, you will then have the mum's maiden name and you might find George and Elizabeth were married after all! Another marriage cert might open up all sorts of avenues! Good Luck Merry

Pauline

Pauline Report 21 Jun 2006 12:18

Hi Merry, Thanks for all your help. I will apply for Ethel,s birth cert and see what that bring,s me. A lot of the thing,s I knew was just guess work. Thanks again. Pauline ps Thank,s to everyone else who helped in this quest.