Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Second cousins, third cousins, five times removed.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kate

Kate Report 21 Jun 2006 11:44

Can anyone explain to me the meaning of first/second/third etc. cousins, and 'twice removed' and things like that? I'm completely confused. What is my mother's cousin to me?

Horatia

Horatia Report 21 Jun 2006 11:45

This website page is very helpful. Scroll right down to see the chart. Cheers, Horatia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin_chart

Kate

Kate Report 21 Jun 2006 11:49

Phew...thank you, brilliant!

Horatia

Horatia Report 21 Jun 2006 11:52

Your mothers first cousin to you would be a first cousin once removed. Cheers, Horatia

Christine2

Christine2 Report 21 Jun 2006 12:01

That's brilliant Christine and I have printed it off. Could I ask 2 questions though please? 1) What word is missing off the end i.e. The word grand has been popularly replaced by................ 2) I'm a bit confused by Your second cousin is your Grandparents' brother's or sister's grandchild. So what is your Grandparents' brother's or sister's child? Sorry, I always find it difficult to get my head round this subject, so I expect I am asking the obvious:) Thank you Chrissie OOPS - sorry - I see you have amended question 1)

Merry

Merry Report 21 Jun 2006 12:04

''I'm a bit confused by Your second cousin is your Grandparents' brother's or sister's grandchild.'' Yes, that's right! ''So what is your Grandparents' brother's or sister's child?'' They are first cousin to your parent, and first cousin once removed, to you! Merry

Christine2

Christine2 Report 21 Jun 2006 12:06

Thanks Merry - will I ever get my head round this subject :)

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 21 Jun 2006 12:15

This is interesting because my gran was always in this and she explained it all quite differently. According to her my mums cousin would become my second cousin etc Was it maybe viewed differently in Scotland as that's where she was from. Gypsyjoe Just three days till I'm back in the UK yaaa

Maureen

Maureen Report 21 Jun 2006 13:53

I find this website useful http://www*mormonhaven*com/relchart*htm (put . instead of *) Maureen

PDH not so new now!

PDH not so new now! Report 30 Mar 2007 19:43

nudged for susan

Yummy-Mummy

Yummy-Mummy Report 30 Mar 2007 19:50

it all confuses me! but never mind.

♫ Penny €

♫ Penny € Report 30 Mar 2007 20:44

I always remember being told that someone in the family was my 2nd cousin when I now know he is my 1st cousin once removed. I think it was just ignorance!!

Richard

Richard Report 30 Mar 2007 23:13

I find this site useful http://www.iroots.net/tools/cusncalc/cusncalc.htm I have been contacted by 32 cousins in all since joining Genes Reunited, from first cousins to sixth cousins. It's very useful tool to work out exactly how contacts are related.

Cheshiremaid

Cheshiremaid Report 30 Mar 2007 23:53

I found a website and was able to print off their chart....which I have found invaluable. http://genealogy.about*com/library/nrelationshipchart.htm repace * with dot Linda

silvery33

silvery33 Report 31 Mar 2007 20:14

nudge for later study

Bee~fuddled.

Bee~fuddled. Report 7 Jun 2007 10:29

Nudged. Bee

Maureen

Maureen Report 7 Jun 2007 19:48

nudged

Kate

Kate Report 7 Jun 2007 20:07

I have a question. Is a grand aunt or grand uncle the same thing as a great aunt or great uncle? My late gran's sister is still alive, and although we all call her Aunty, I have always understood her to be my great-aunt.