Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do you find a Genealogy course?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RStar

RStar Report 26 Jun 2006 16:02

I need to work from home for several reasons, and I know its a lot harder than it sounds, but it occured to me I could study to become a true Genealogist. Where do I start?! Can you study at home, or only at college? Ive done ok with mine and my husbands trees, but need some serious brushing up before I could start charging. Limited funds apply!

Netti

Netti Report 26 Jun 2006 16:04

I reckon experience counts for a lot perhaps you could start small with stuff you already know?

Angela

Angela Report 26 Jun 2006 16:11

Hi Rebekah - I have just started a correspondence course with the Institute of Heraldic and Genealogical Studies in Canterbury. You can do it at your own pace and have to do 24 modules (to date I have done the grand total of one!!!). You can get all the details from their website. Alternatively, are there any evening classes that you could do locally?

RStar

RStar Report 26 Jun 2006 16:16

Thanks both. I suppose Im worried that somepne will be putting trust in me, and I don't want to let them down! How are you finding the course, Angela? Roughly how long does it take to complete? I can study most days.

Angela

Angela Report 26 Jun 2006 16:19

Have to disappear in a minute, Rebekah, so can you send me a private message? I found the first module okay and got good marks for it, but it was mainly designed for them to find out how much research you had already done for your own tree. If you spend 3 hours a week on it they reckon it will take a couple of years, but if you can spend more time studying then obviously you could do it in a much shorter time.

Pippa

Pippa Report 26 Jun 2006 16:20

wea.org.uk I did a couse through them and it taught me loads. Then I learnt more from reading these boards.

Heather

Heather Report 26 Jun 2006 16:25

Doesnt Open University do one? Im often tempted to do an OU course but I still owe them money from my BA 24 years ago!

RStar

RStar Report 26 Jun 2006 16:27

Which course was it, Pippa? Ive typed in family history on their website but it doesnt come up. Tried Genealogy, but that doesnt either.

RStar

RStar Report 26 Jun 2006 16:27

Lol Heather!! Just looked at one for £1980, not sure what hubby would say...would have to mke sure I completed it lol.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 26 Jun 2006 16:32

try, http://genealogy.about.*com/library/lessons/blintro.htm remove * Roy

Heather

Heather Report 26 Jun 2006 16:42

Oh yes, Workers Education - they should have them. Why dont you contact your local FHS or the records office and ask them. Mind you, you want to do it at home, dont you? But some of the college courses only means going once a week - our local Uni does a genealogy one and all sorts of related courses for local history. Check if your local college or Uni have anything. Dont know how old you are - but there is also the University of the Third Age (is that right guys?) for over 50's who will probably do this sort of course. Trouble is, these may be just for beginners in searching for their own family history. I guess the really professional ones are going to cost big bucks.

Karen

Karen Report 26 Jun 2006 17:25

Hi Angela, i was wondering aboout doing that course, the course fees seem expensive, do you think its a worthwhile course? i did read somewhere to get the benefit from it you need to take at least 3 yrs to complete it is that right? i did find another course for about £60 it says you need to spend about 12 hrs a week on pc

Heather

Heather Report 26 Jun 2006 17:27

I think the important thing is to decide if you really do want professional qualifications to do this properly and then go for it. Sort out the recognised authorities though - you dont want to be scammed by any one!

Pippa

Pippa Report 26 Jun 2006 20:14

http://webcam.wea.ac.uk/courselist.asp?currentpage=1&showresults=True&tsearch=family%20history&vLocation=&vsearch=&psearch=&hLocation=&ssearch=All&ssortby=&lngLBound=1&lngUBound=20

Heather

Heather Report 26 Jun 2006 21:20

Reb - tell the old man its a good investment, you will be earning him up to £35 an hour when you are qualified (except for your mates on here of course, whom you will charge just a fiver).

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 26 Jun 2006 21:34

I think its like everything else really - you get what you pay for. The cheap courses are likely to be not much more than an introduction to Family History - come on here and learn it for free! Any course leading to a professional qualification is going to be expensive and I understand that the syllabus is quite difficult - you need to know at least a smattering of Latin and Norman French. If, on the other hand, you want to be a genealogical researcher, then you dont need a qualification - you can just call yourself a researcher and advertise as such. I'm not sure that there is anything in the middle between introductory family history, and the professional qualification. Good luck though! OC

Angela

Angela Report 26 Jun 2006 21:39

Sorry for the delay, Karen - I have resurfaced now!! The full course is £1500, which considering what you can spend per term on a Local Authority evening class or on University fees probably doesn't work out too bad. You do get a proper qualifcation at the end provided that you can pass the exam. I think that some of the later modules cover all aspects of going into professional practise. 11 people sat the exams last time and only 4 passed which is a bit worrying. Think I will have to spend more time on my assignments!!!

RStar

RStar Report 27 Jun 2006 14:26

Lol Heather :)