Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New TV series

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 30 Jun 2006 11:38

ITV has commissioned a new celebrity genealogy series similar to BBC Two's popular Who Do You Think You Are? You Don't Know You're Born, a 3x60' commission from Wall To Wall Media, will follow well-known personalities as they trace their family tree and then take on their ancestor's job. 'These stars will go on a unique and emotional journey as they explore and get to grips with the often tough and demanding lives of their ancestors,' said Alison Sharman, ITV's director of factual and daytime. 'This programme will give them a very real feel of the social history of the day, show them and us a stark and sometimes surprising reminder of our nation's roots.' The series is due to air later this year. <

Kate

Kate Report 30 Jun 2006 12:25

Hmmm, do you think about 75% of them will have to be 'ag labs', or do you think they will each pick out the one ancestor who had an unusual occupation, by any chance? Kate.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Jun 2006 12:34

I think you are probably right Kate. All of them working in the fields woudn't make very interesting t.v. would it? Still, I'm sure most of us will watch it all the same. Kath. x

Cath

Cath Report 30 Jun 2006 12:41

Would highwayman be considered a valid occupation?! I'd love to see that episode.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 30 Jun 2006 12:54

Or how about Olde Crone's Beaver Blower.....:))))))) Chris

Philippa

Philippa Report 30 Jun 2006 12:57

Sagger Makers Bottom Knocker ? (no it's not made up !)

Aimee

Aimee Report 30 Jun 2006 14:18

I am sure it will be very interesting but I do wish these programmes weren't so often based on celebrities. I would be just as interested in a 'mere mortals' family history.

Jane

Jane Report 30 Jun 2006 14:23

Aimee - a huge 'hear hear' to that - I loved the series about ordinary people and their quest for family history - 'Family Ties'. It's a shame when the TV companies just focus on the 'rich and famous' Annie

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 30 Jun 2006 15:22

Oh no, moans the Olde Crone, not another flaming family history programme to bring the GRO to a grinding halt.

hallyally

hallyally Report 30 Jun 2006 15:37

If it's on ITV it'll be rubbish anyway - loads of ads and hype! Allie

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 30 Jun 2006 15:41

Many many years ago there was a News Presenter called Gordon Honeycombe. He made a series of programmes about his own family and his search for his history. It was absolutely fascinating (no Internet then!), made to a very high standard. I doubt if the ITV lot is going to be anything like that! OC

Margaret

Margaret Report 30 Jun 2006 16:05

And, dont forget, because its on ITV they will probably keep plugging this site. The programme will probably be sponsored by Genes. Margaret

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 30 Jun 2006 16:17

Dead right, OC That television programme had me glued to my seat for the six weeks or so of the series. I've still got the book that went with it, and I can still remember the tale of the old lady who set off to get a copy of her marriage certificate. The local registrar could not locate it in their index, and the next day the old woman was found drowned.

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 30 Jun 2006 16:28

I might drown myself if I don't find a couple of certificates I've been searching for.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Jun 2006 17:17

I, for one, won't be watching..........the people they choose could easily afford to have the research done for them. Why should we subsidise them? Reg

Jean....

Jean.... Report 30 Jun 2006 17:26

They only seem to go back to g.grandfathers...I would like to see them go further back in time. See if it's so easy for them then!!! They might then find a few Master Shifters and Ag Labs. Jean

BabyLemonade

BabyLemonade Report 30 Jun 2006 18:42

Oh h*ll! How depressing, just as certificate ordering was returning to something more normal. And this site is owned by ITV? Even more depressing. Anyone know when this prog is scheduled to go out? Think I'd better get an overdraft to pay for a shed load of certs now!

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 30 Jun 2006 19:02

There is probably a sister programme planned for celebs of yesteryear 'My celebrity career is as dead as my ancestors' And each week viewers are asked which family member should be evicted from the 1871 census household,vote by phone at £1 a throw. Glen

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Jun 2006 21:43

And no doubt they will be plugging this site at every opportunity, so we'll get a whole load of new members who think you can find fifteen generations of their ancestors in half an hour....................... Reg

Margaret

Margaret Report 30 Jun 2006 22:16

Reg Yes, and then the site grinds to a halt. Plus if they put rellies on and lose interest, thats how some contacts never reply Margaret