Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching American deaths?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pain

Pain Report 3 Jul 2006 19:22

Is there anywhere that I can search deaths in America between 1928 and 1940. Jayne

Perranmaid

Perranmaid Report 3 Jul 2006 20:03

Some are available on Ancestry USA site depending on where you are looking for. Need subscription to see the result though. Who do you need and where and I will have a look . Approx age at death would also be useful. Regards Pmaid

Pain

Pain Report 5 Jul 2006 01:00

Sorry Perranmaid that I havent got back to you before now but I have been in hospital today. I dont have a lot of details so I dont think you would be able to search for me. The only information I have is that his surname was Condon and he died in New York after the Wall Street Crash (he commited suicide). It is one thing for me to spend hours trawling through information with the little info I have but it is quiet another for yourself. I really dont expect you to do that. Thankyou for the suggestion. Do you have to be a deluxe member to search the American deaths? Thankyou

Kath

Kath Report 5 Jul 2006 03:01

HI you can always look on www.familysearch.org at the social security death index this is the ONLY condon listed on the site that died between 1922 and 1942 John CONDON Birth Date: 11 Aug 1894 Death Date: Dec 1940 Social Security Number: 020-07-9824 State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: Massachusetts

Kath

Kath Report 5 Jul 2006 03:11

Ancestry has some new york paper obits etc for the name of Condon you can use payper view with ancestry so don't need to take out a full subscription i'm afraid i dont have access to it. the social security index is showing 933 matches for Condon The New York times is showing 639 matches New York Herald is showing 181 Matches Barnard Bulletin is showing 7 matches New York Daily times is showing 41 etc etc etc i would have thought it would be in the papers if he commited suicide?? K x

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 5 Jul 2006 05:32

Hi PMaid. Hope you are feeling better. Do you know when he was born and perhaps where? Maybe we could work backwards to start -- Ancestry has Draft Registration Cards for WWI. If he was old or young enough to have registered, we can see if there is anyone fitting your Condon's information. Then, if we find a likely name, we can try searching for his death. Just a thought, anyway. Through a friend's subscription, I can look for you, but I will be working tomorrow.

Pain

Pain Report 5 Jul 2006 09:48

I wasnt expecting anyone to do a search for me. So thankyou very much for taking a look Kath. I am going to work soon but I will have a look at the pay per views on ancestry. Hi Lisa. Thankyou for your offer. I have just had an idea, I might be able to narrow the first name down. I found some Condons who went to America in the 1870s (?) But on the next English census 2 of them weren't there. So they could have stayed in the US. When I get home from work this evening I will take another look at the information I have and I will get back to you. Once again thankyou to both of you. Jayne

Kath

Kath Report 5 Jul 2006 09:51

Jane you know you can look on the 1881 census for free at www.familysearch.org K x

Perranmaid

Perranmaid Report 5 Jul 2006 19:23

Just got in myself so no problem. When you get chance to look let me know if you still need help with US look up I will be around most of the evening.

Pain

Pain Report 5 Jul 2006 19:27

Hi Kath and Lisa I couldnt believe that I had never searched that census before. Anyway thanks to your reminder I have searched it and found one member of my family on there. His name was David Condon he was married, 23 years old born in England. His occupation was a saloon keeper and both his parents were born in Ireland. On the 1880 census he was not living with his wife and was living in Redwood City, San Mateo, California. It could be this mans children that I am looking for. I will go and see if I can find any. Or even if I could find out who he married? I will be back on later. Jayne

Pain

Pain Report 5 Jul 2006 22:56

Hi Perranmaid I dont know how it has happened but I have only just noticed your kind offer. Please dont think I have been ignoring you. If it is not to late I would like to take you up on your offer. Could you take a look on the census following the 1880 one to see if you can find David with his family. If this costs you any money please let me know and I will refund you any expenses. Thankyou Jayne

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 5 Jul 2006 23:02

Jayne and Pmaid, if I can be of any help, I'm not working tomorrow and a friend can search Ancestry for us. (Have to get back to work now.)

Pain

Pain Report 5 Jul 2006 23:06

Wow Lisa Just looking at the hours you are working. I dont know how you could find the time to help me. But I am grateful for the offer. I will no doubt be taking you up on your kind offer. Jayne

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 5 Jul 2006 23:11

Hi Jayne. (Didn't want to butt in, as Pmaid did offer help.) I live in California, so I'm 8 hours behind the UK, so my hours aren't too bad. However, I volunteer with Scouts a lot, so it can be difficult to find extra time. :) PS Redwood City isn't too far from us!

Pain

Pain Report 5 Jul 2006 23:18

I have only just realised that Redwood is in California (according to the census) and that your in California, lol. I dont know whats wrong with me today. Maybe its the after effects of yesterday. My dad is starting to get interested now. He is a cowboy in a show team that puts on shows for charity and the thought that a member of his family was a saloon keeper in 1880 in Redwood is really keeping him interested. Jayne

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 6 Jul 2006 05:04

Jayne, I will pm you regarding the 1880 census. I could not find David on any other American census. There isn't a full census for 1890, and he is not listed after that (unless he used a different first name, or there was a misspelling of his last name). Redwood City is south of San Francisco. Apparently, it was a town/village during the 1880's. I did several google searches, and didn't find anything. Tried variations of and including: Redwood City saloon keeper David Condon 1857 San Francisco San Mateo New York suicide 1929, etc. Off to check the 1900 census for variations of Condon.

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 6 Jul 2006 05:27

Jayne, on the 1910, living in Cleveland, Ohio: David J. Condon, age 50, married 15 years, born in Ireland, arrived in U.S. 1880, occupation saloon-keeper, cafe. Wife: Elizabeth, children: Marie, Lauretta, Lucille (can get ages and places of birth, if you like). There is a David Condon in Boston, MA on the 1900, but he was born Aug 1860, wife Mary, born Aug 1859. He was a liquor dealer. Unknown immigration date. He also was born in Ireland. 1900, Cleveland, Ohio: David Condon, Dec 1859, born Pennsylvania, married 7 years, saloon keeper, parents born in Ireland. Wife: Lizzie(?), children: Marie and ?. Appears to be the same family as mentioned above.

Just

Just Report 1 Aug 2006 21:04

nudged for people searching american records claire