Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A funny place to be born.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patricia

Patricia Report 5 Jul 2006 21:33

Received a birth certificate today and Marie Rose Plumpton born 7.10.1912 'In a tram car in Hampstead Road' - Wow.

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Jul 2006 21:36

I bet that made the local papers!

Heather

Heather Report 5 Jul 2006 21:46

How lovely - oh yes def check out papers.

Sarah

Sarah Report 5 Jul 2006 21:46

LOL I wonder if they would be as direct nowadays or try to 'dress it up' ? No administrative papers seem down to earth now. Don't know how they'd dress that up though! ''In the vicinity of Hampstead Road'' maybe?? sarah :-) Thanks for sharing that Patricia!

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 5 Jul 2006 22:02

Allegedly, there was a poor girl named Trainetta. No marks for guessing where in Croydon she was born.

Janice

Janice Report 5 Jul 2006 22:42

And Cavina was born in Chislehurst Caves in WW2.

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Jul 2006 22:44

Good job parents don't always follow that trend, I know a couple of kids who might have been named Carparkia!

Karen

Karen Report 5 Jul 2006 22:44

Hi, I had my daughter on the bathroom floor!! her birth cert just gives the address we were living at, at the time, we did make the local paper though 2 weeks running the first week was the announcement and the gory details and the following was a pic of us, which i still have, be interesting what her family make of it in yrs to come lol

Gwen

Gwen Report 5 Jul 2006 22:50

The school I worked in we had a pupil called Mercedes because she was born in one, hence the name, we used to joke, good job it was not a vauxhall !!!! lol Gwen

Karen

Karen Report 5 Jul 2006 22:56

Oooh gwen, people did ask why i didnt name her louise or lou for short lol

Janet in Yorkshire

Janet in Yorkshire Report 5 Jul 2006 23:18

And would Tescos be a unisex name? Jay

Karen

Karen Report 5 Jul 2006 23:27

possible, lol do you know who tescos is named after? tessa cohen, the founders wife apparently

Gypsy

Gypsy Report 5 Jul 2006 23:31

I have one uncle who on his birth cert was stated as born in 'A caravan in a field'. That made me chuckle. Pat

Heather

Heather Report 6 Jul 2006 00:02

Nell, I think you are talking about the conception rather than the birth!

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 6 Jul 2006 00:04

I think Mercedes was the name of the founder's daughter (or wife, or some such). Christine

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Jul 2006 07:32

Heather You cheeky mare! (still, I think its good going if you can remember where your baby was conceived!) Mercedes is a Spanish girls name, like Dolores. From internet 'The girl's name Mercedes is pronounced mer-SAY-dees. It is of Spanish origin, and its meaning is 'mercies.' Used in reference to the Virgin Mary, Santa Maria de las Mercedes as 'Our Lady of Mercies.' Literary: the name of the lost love of Edmond Dantes in Dumas's 'The Count of Monte Cristo.' Also the name of the German luxury car, which was named for a little girl named Mercedes. Mostly Catholic use. '

Angela

Angela Report 6 Jul 2006 07:58

My second son was born in an ambulance in Stoke Hammond High Street. As there seemed little point in continuing to the hospital, the ambulance then turned round and went back to where we came from!!!!

Angela

Angela Report 6 Jul 2006 08:04

I thought that Mercedes was some sort of Greek or Roman Goddess? Didn't Mr Benz name the car after his daughter? Or was the car first and she was conceived in one?

David

David Report 6 Jul 2006 08:58

Now that the local NHS trust have moved maternity services from Huddersfield to Halifax there won't be many babies born in Huddersfield in future, but lot's will be born in a lay by on the Elland bypass.