Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

can anyone with knowledge of Wrexham area help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mike

Mike Report 11 Jul 2006 10:55

I've just received a wedding cert of 1841, The marriage was at The Baptist Chapel (looks like Cefin Mawr) in Wrexham. The address of the couple marrying was Rhosymedre Cefin Mawr I'de like to know if there's a baptist Chapel still there that i could get in touch with, also if anyone can find the couple on 1841 census, their names were David Humphreysb abt1820 and Ann her maiden name was Ann Frances b abt 1821 Ann was born in Oswestry. And David was born Wales that's all he gives as place of birth in later census returns. Any help would be really appreciated. Regards Michael

Janice

Janice Report 11 Jul 2006 11:06

Hi Michael, No idea if it's there today but it's probably Cefn Mawr. I'll look at the census for you. Janice

☺Carol in Dulwich☺

☺Carol in Dulwich☺ Report 11 Jul 2006 11:08

Ebenezer Baptist Chapel, Crane Street, Cefn Mawr, Denbighshire: Recently sold.

☺Carol in Dulwich☺

☺Carol in Dulwich☺ Report 11 Jul 2006 11:11

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northeast/sites/wrexham/pages/cefnmawr.shtml

Mike

Mike Report 11 Jul 2006 11:12

Thanks Janice and Carol, looks like i read the name correct anyway. Much obliged. Michael

Janice

Janice Report 11 Jul 2006 11:19

There's a Jonathan Humphreys christened at Cefn Wesleyan Methodist, Cefn Mawr, in 1829. Any connection? Son of Robert Humphreys and Mary Davies. No luck with census. Sorry.

Mike

Mike Report 11 Jul 2006 11:25

Hello again Janice, on the wedding cert it says David Humphreys was a shoemaker and his fathers name was David too and he was a labourer. The marriage was in February 1841. Michael

William

William Report 11 Jul 2006 11:36

The 1841 census for the area is 'missing'.As far as the Baptist Chapel in Rhosymedre it has been closed quite a few years ago now. Regards William Russell Jones Cefn Mawr Wrexham.

William

William Report 11 Jul 2006 11:39

Further to my last message,a full list of Chapels in the area can be found at; http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/DEN/Rhosymedre/index.html#ChurchRecords Regards William Russell Jones Cefn Mawr Wrexham.

Thelma

Thelma Report 11 Jul 2006 11:40

Was the marriage before or after the census? Is this them? 1851 census View Record Ann Humphres abt 1824 Oswestry, Shropshire, England Wife Wednesbury Staffordshire View Record David Humphres abt 1821 Wales Head Wednesbury Staffordshire View Record Mana Humphres abt 1848 Wednesbury, Staffordshire, England Daughter Wednesbury Staffordshire View Record Sam Humphres abt 1851 Wednesbury, Staffordshire, England Daughter Wednesbury Staffordshire View Record Thos Humphres abt 1842 Oswestry, Shropshire, England Son Wednesbury Staffordshire

Mike

Mike Report 11 Jul 2006 11:43

Thanks for that William. Jim yes that's them in 1851. was hoping they might be found in 1841, possibly with parents, Hoping more than expecting, Regards Michael

The Ego

The Ego Report 11 Jul 2006 11:46

North wales Bmd have the marriage down as 1840 not 1841,in Wrexham as a civil marriage.Reference WM /017/6 despite them being in the March Quarter 1841 in the official index ?

Mike

Mike Report 11 Jul 2006 11:47

Jim they were married February 1841 would that have been before census

Mike

Mike Report 11 Jul 2006 11:55

Hello Ego, i'll have to look that up I've got the cert in front of me and it's deffinitely 1841.

The Ego

The Ego Report 11 Jul 2006 11:58

I was asked to help transcribe for this lot recently-starting to have my doubts -Its supposed to be more accurate than the typed sheets because they are being transcribed from the books from the registries.....Ive spotted 5 anomolies in cheshire alone this week.

Mike

Mike Report 11 Jul 2006 12:04

Hello Ego, yes i've just looked 1840. Who do you think i should believe

The Ego

The Ego Report 11 Jul 2006 12:17

Problem is that all the typed images we see on ancestry and 1837 have been produced by viewing these registers over the years,although government property they are not original records-99.99% are probably spot on,but the od one or two are missing or misspelt or even missapproppriated-apparently,a lot of these were typed in china by speed typists on low wages. I would contact The records office that holds the original register.I personally would be annoyed if Wales bmd has got it wrong as this program is done from primary source.

Thelma

Thelma Report 11 Jul 2006 12:21

There is always the chance they married twice. Once civil/once church.

Mike

Mike Report 11 Jul 2006 12:21

Thanks very much Ego, i will get in touch with them, Appreciate your help. Regards Michael

Mike

Mike Report 11 Jul 2006 12:24

Thanks Jim, i did'nt think of that one. Good luck Michael