Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

been away for ages and need a jump start to how it

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Back to my Roots

Back to my Roots Report 12 Jul 2006 17:14

Good to be back, but have forgotten so much. I have recieved a marriage cert and can not read the brides fathers name. The marriage is from 1845 and the bride was a widow, so its not like i can find her with her father on 1841 census. Any help would be great. Shaz :-)

Dea

Dea Report 12 Jul 2006 17:15

I will pm you my e-mail - If you want to send me a copy I will see if I can read it. Dea x

Merry

Merry Report 12 Jul 2006 17:20

Me too....then you can see if Dea and I say the same! Merry

Zoe

Zoe Report 12 Jul 2006 17:21

me too x

Merry

Merry Report 12 Jul 2006 17:21

lol! Funny if we come up with three different answers! Merry

Zoe

Zoe Report 12 Jul 2006 17:23

lets hope this is a conferring round

Dea

Dea Report 12 Jul 2006 17:26

Has anyone received it yet - I am just SSSooo impatient (as you know). Dea x

Zoe

Zoe Report 12 Jul 2006 17:27

no ;o(

Dea

Dea Report 12 Jul 2006 17:30

Don't you just love it when people put up a message and then go off to cook Dinner?? I am going off to cook Dinner in a minute !! - Will be back soon.!! Dea x

Zoe

Zoe Report 12 Jul 2006 17:31

I'm going to the pub at 6pm so anytime after that I'll be in no fit state to read bad handwriting

Dea

Dea Report 12 Jul 2006 17:32

Zoe, Lol - I know what you mean !! Dea x

Back to my Roots

Back to my Roots Report 12 Jul 2006 17:40

soz every one scanner playing up. i hope i have managed to send it to you. the brides fathers forname looks like lewis but it it the surname i cant make out. Sarahs birth name was cox and that sure dont look like cox to me . thanks again Shaz

Merry

Merry Report 12 Jul 2006 17:42

I see you scanned it at 96dpi and it's only 480 x 349 pixels making it hopeless to blow up and try and read........ Can you scan it at a higher resolution? Just trying to read it now..... Thomas Cox is a witness..... Merry

Merry

Merry Report 12 Jul 2006 17:48

Nope....I'd just be guessing.....maybe he is her stepfather? Merry

Dea

Dea Report 12 Jul 2006 18:08

Sorry, - Cant open the file. Dea x

Back to my Roots

Back to my Roots Report 12 Jul 2006 18:11

I am trying to find away to improve the image. will let you know if i manage too. sorry been away from it all so long i cant remember how anything works lol. shaz

Back to my Roots

Back to my Roots Report 12 Jul 2006 18:41

No sorry cant make the image any clear. Thanks for your help though everyone. I had phoned gro this morning, they said i would need to return the cert to a certain department and ask them. The thing is it took so long to get it, i dont really want to send it back to them. I will be sticking to the local cert offices in the future as they are by far much quicker and more helpful. Once again thanks for trying to help. Shaz :-)

Merry

Merry Report 12 Jul 2006 18:55

Don't go through all that kerfuffle!!! Just phone the local office and tell them you have bought the cert from the GRO (have it in front of you when you phone.....) If they are friendly you should be able to get them to look up the original cert (after all you have all the details so they should be able to find it easily enough).......hopefully they will be able to read it OK. I have done this several times and they have always looked whilst I held on the phone! Merry

Back to my Roots

Back to my Roots Report 12 Jul 2006 19:03

Thanks for that idea Merry will give them a ring in the morning. shaz.