Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FTM & Ancestry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LindainBerkshire1736004

LindainBerkshire1736004 Report 18 Jul 2006 19:56

Has anyone else had a request for further fees to keep ancestry interaction with FTM after only purchasing a few months ago???

LindainBerkshire1736004

LindainBerkshire1736004 Report 18 Jul 2006 19:57

This is the e-mail ancestry sent me: Dear Friend, Your Family Tree Maker Internet backup service will expire on August 1, 2006. However, you may purchase another full year of service for only $9.95. If you choose not to renew your Internet backup service, you will no longer be able to back up or restore your Family Tree Maker files over the Internet. This will not affect your ability to back up or restore files to your own hard drive or other personal media. Renew backup service for one year: Not sure of the benefits of paying for this or is it just additional to normal Ancestry membership?? Regards Linda

Heather

Heather Report 18 Jul 2006 20:01

Hi, this is a storage facility they offer to keep all your information on your FTM safe in case you have a hard drive failure like I did! I wish in a way Id paid out for it, its very cheap really and if you did lose the lot, you would have it saved in their storage facility. Its nothing to do with ancestry.

LindainBerkshire1736004

LindainBerkshire1736004 Report 18 Jul 2006 20:03

Thanks Heather maybe I should go for it then, I presume it's in American Dollars? I have a couple of weeks to think about it now Regards Linda

Heather

Heather Report 18 Jul 2006 20:05

Well, what is it a fiver? Im going through hell at the moment getting my stuff sorted. I had backed up to cd but a month prior to the crash so well, I think Id been happy to have paid a fiver to have it just all restored from their internet storage. Depends on you, if you back up to cd every time you add info then you should be ok.

LindainBerkshire1736004

LindainBerkshire1736004 Report 18 Jul 2006 20:39

Think you've convinced me Heather. Thanks for your advice. Hope you are enjoying this weather. Regards Linda

Chrispynoodle

Chrispynoodle Report 18 Jul 2006 21:28

Linda Had similar thing from FTM...thank goodness for our Heather...now I know what to do. Phew...heat and corruption by the way. Thinking of doing something shocking and wearing shorts to the office tomorrow. One of our blokes did today..that brightened up the day. Chris

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 18 Jul 2006 22:22

does everybody with FTM get this service and if so will I get an email too or should I email them and ask for it ???

Heather

Heather Report 18 Jul 2006 22:54

Well, I remember that I received that message ages ago and didnt really understand it, just deleted it - so it seems like after a certain time of free storage they mail you Val.

Val wish I'd never started Report 18 Jul 2006 23:01

hi Heather thanks for that.Hope you have things sorted now it must be horrendous for you.What we all need is a PC expert who is cheap and cheerful and always available, I took mine to PC world the other week to have new Memory installed and they had a sign on the counter no repairs for 3 weeks how stupid is that, so we bought it had a quick demo how to do it ourselves and took a chance , it seems to be okay at least my PC has not blown up yet !!!! Do you like this horrible heat ???

Heather

Heather Report 18 Jul 2006 23:21

Hi Val, well Im really peed off with Mesh who I bought this puter from. It wasnt cheap and as you know I kept ringing them (at a £1 a minute) because of all the noises it was making - right from day one. They eventually sent a bloke and all he did was change a fan. Then, just when it was out of the year on site guarantee the damn thing packed up. I was SO angry. If they had spotted the problem then all this wouldnt have happened. They said it would be about 2 weeks to send it back to them for repair. In the end I let a local computer shop do the work (Im still waiting just for the letter Mesh promised last week to send me with details for the pick up. Ive told them just to pick up the duff hard drive and send me a new one) I paid out £115 for the work done locally which is so annoying when I have a guarantee but I could easily lose that in lost jobs if I cant do hubbies quotes and surveys. Anyway, it seems to be working ok now and I think next time I get a puter it will be a made up one at the little local shop. They are cheaper and on the end of the phone - not at £1 a minute - and only 5 mins away if I want to go there. I dont mind the heat - I love the light Val. I hate the dark days/nights of winter. Ive been putting hose on the pond as thank gawd thats allowed - as its full of wildlife. Most of the tadpoles have changed into little froglets but now the baby newts are coming along. My poor plants though. The lavendars are loving it and are huge and beautiful. I shall def buy some more of those in case we have further dry summers. I got the newer variety - with soft scented foligage and mixed with some other gorgeous plants I bought and whose names I must look up - I have them in two barrels next to one another and they are glorious. And the climbing/rambling rose I planted next to an old apple tree down the end of the garden - well after 8 years of a poor show - its fantastic, right to the top of the tree all round it and it looks like a pink waterfall from this end of the garden - so I guess that loves this weather too. We noticed the figs are doing well and hopefully we may have some decent sized bunches of grapes on the vines.

Val wish I'd never started Report 18 Jul 2006 23:35

If you can prove that fault was on it all the time then the guarantee still covers it.Shame you went somewhere else because as you know that probably cancels the guarantee. Glad it seems to be up and running, mine is like my right hand feel really lost without it, dreading next week when I get Talktalk hope it works straight away cannot bear to be without my PC even for a minute, and then I will have to have a new email address which is a pain as you know I sell on Ebay and have a lot of regulars who email me all the time ,I am going to have to inform them all of my new email address.I am also changing my Phone number as I have two phone lines here and am cancelling the House one and keeping this one, so have to inform all our rellies and friends too, hope its all worth it.If it goes wrong I shall be emailing you for advice. goodnight Val By the way we have lots of Lavenders I love them so hardy and attractive to Butterflies Bees and things.

Heather

Heather Report 18 Jul 2006 23:40

Val, I found that you can access your old emails through the homepage of your internet server. That is, I had wanadoo (or orange as it is now). After I got talktalk, I found I could go to the orange home page and they have a webmail facility where you just enter your old email addy and password and can still receive emails on there. Bedtime now kiddo - little Ralphie has just come back from his walk and is already jumping on the bed. Nite nite. x

Val wish I'd never started Report 18 Jul 2006 23:44

I had forgotten I did that when I left Freeserve but didnt think it would last for long once they realise you have gone dont they cancel them ??? I love to hear about Ralph how is he ??? I bet he is glad you took him !!!! and I bet you are too!!!!!! Goodnight time for a Hot Choccie Val

Elaine

Elaine Report 24 Jan 2007 09:25

I have just taken advantage of the internet backup facility, even though I have been using FTM for a few years. If you wish to register then - go to FILE select BACKUP select INTERNET STORAGE - if you haven´t paid for this service then a box will come up giving you the details of how to subscribe. At six pounds a year I think it is a very reasonable charge - and it is very easy to do - everytime I have added something new on my program I click on Internet backup. (I would also recommend that you back up regularly on CD´s or similar storage device). For those of you who are new to FTM it might be worth seeing if this facility is currently available to you free of charge - by following the instructions above - FILE - BACKUP - INTERNET STORAGE. I think that depending on the FTM program you have purchased in the first place, this service is offered free of charge for anything up to one year from date of purchase (or date of registration of your FTM program) Elaine

Lancashire_Lady

Lancashire_Lady Report 24 Jan 2007 12:40

nudge ... what a good idea. I'm dreadful at keeping my paperwork in order and always forget to do backups. I know, I know I should do this but ... no, there's no excuse! What I need is a magic wand to mysteriously sort out my paper mountain .. but failing that I'll go for the FTM internet back up.

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 28 Mar 2007 22:13

Don't forget though that the internet back-up facility only applies to FTM 2006. If you have 2005 or earlier then internet back-up isn't an option. Glen

LindainBerkshire1736004

LindainBerkshire1736004 Report 10 Aug 2007 06:52

Nudge Linda :o)

LindainBerkshire1736004

LindainBerkshire1736004 Report 8 Nov 2008 17:53

Nudge for Kenneth

Heather

Heather Report 9 Nov 2008 00:38

Nothing alice, its probably just a glitch, try later or email ancestry direct.