Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help Help, Calling all experts!!!!!!!! Still Stuck

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Willow

Willow Report 18 Jul 2006 23:58

Willow

Willow Report 19 Jul 2006 00:00

I need some advice William Rancombe born circa 1829 (According to 1871 & 1881 census and death entry on freebmd), and born heston, middlesex and Hounslow on the other William Rancombe's wife was Ellen Dascombe according to their eldest childs birth certificate, however, I cant find their marriage certifcate anywhere. So this is where im a bit stuck. I have looked at most of the other census's with the soundex on and there is one in the 1841 that looks good Ann Rankean abt 1837 Middlesex, England Heston Middlesex Bohannal Rankean abt 1811 Middlesex, England Heston Middlesex Elizabeth Rankean abt 1840 Middlesex, England Heston Middlesex Emma Rankean abt 1839 Middlesex, England Heston Middlesex George Rankean abt 1833 Middlesex, England Heston Middlesex John Rankean abt 1811 Middlesex, England Heston Middlesex John Rankean abt 1831 Middlesex, England Heston Middlesex Sarah Rankean abt 1835 Middlesex, England Heston Middlesex William Rankean abt 1829 Middlesex, England Heston Middlesex Bohannal looks like Rosannah on the page?? see what you think 1851 Elizabeth Rankcom abt 1841 Heston, Middlesex, England Daughter Heston Middlesex Hannah Rankcom abt 1811 Heston, Middlesex, England Wife Heston Middlesex John Rankcom abt 1811 Heston, Middlesex, England Head Heston Middlesex Mary Rankcom abt 1844 Heston, Middlesex, England Daughter Heston Middlesex William Rankcom abt 1849 Heston, Middlesex, England Son Heston Middlesex Do you think this is the same family Hannah - - Rosannah??? but theres another William?? with a different dob? 1861 John Rancombe abt 1810 Heston, Middlesex, England Head Heston Middlesex Mary A Rancombe abt 1841 Harwstar, Middlesex, England Servant St Sepulchre Middlesex Rosenah Rancombe abt 1810 Hounslow, Middlesex, England Wife Heston Middlesex William S Rancombe abt 1849 Hounslow, Middlesex, England Son Heston Middlesex OK...so I thought I would have look at Pallots Baptisms Wm Ranken 1829 Parents Jno Ranken and Rosanna Ranken, Heston Middlx so then I thought I would look at Pallots marriages John Rancome - Rosanna Barnett 21 Sept 1828, Stanwell Middlx. There are also poss entries for the siblings Sarah Rancomb 1835 Jno Rancomb Rosannah Rancomb Heston Middlx George Rancomb 1833 Jno Rancomb Rosannah Rancomb Heston Middlx John Rancomb 1831 Jno Rancomb Rosannah Rancomb Heston Middlx Would you take it that William Rancombe born 1829 was the son of John & Rosannah? But why call two sons the same name? Was Rosannah a common name? Any ideas??

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Jul 2006 00:13

a) yes, I think - without even lookijng - that Bohannah is a mistranscription of Rosannah. b) it seems likely that you have found the right parents for Wm b. 1829. It would be useful to confirm it with the original parish baptism register though, which is probably at the London Metropolitan Archives. It might give John's occupation which you could cross check with the census. c) have you checked the image of William b. 1849 on the 1861 census? Ages can be mistranscribed as with other details. nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Jul 2006 00:15

There are 3,446 Rosann, Rosanne, Rosanna and Rosannahs on Ancestry's 1841 index, so I guess it was quite common.

Willow

Willow Report 19 Jul 2006 00:20

Hi Nell Thanks for replying the census page looks ok to me, and its 1849 on 2 census's. Would someone call 2 sons william? it dont make sense I was really hoping you would say rosannah was an uncommon name As for the LMA no chance till Sept now not with the kids off :-(( .......Im off to bed now, need to be up early, but I will check back AM Thanks

Cornish

Cornish Report 19 Jul 2006 00:49

The earlier William could well have died (I have 3 sons named Robert in one family). In my families at least it seems that, in order carry on family names, if one son died the next son born would be given the same name, It might be worth checking. Bex x

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 19 Jul 2006 02:43

The later William is on IGI if that helps: WILLIAM SAMUEL RUNCOMB Event(s): Christening: 20 AUG 1848 Hounslow, London, England Parents: Father: JOHN RUNCOMB Family Mother: ROSANNA Which is the same name the William from 1829 calls his eldest son. Rose

Georgina

Georgina Report 19 Jul 2006 04:23

Possible marriage for William to Ellen... Marriages Mar 1862 Ranscombe William Whitechapel 1c 579 Mc Carthy Ellen Whitechapel 1c 579 Georgina.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 19 Jul 2006 06:12

Where's the older William in 1861? Rose

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 19 Jul 2006 06:20

I don't think I have one branch of my or my husband's tree that hasn't reused a name, usually when the first one died. Sometimes it was reused three or four times. Plus of course there is always my whackiest branch that named three Isabells and two Roberts, all with the same middle name and they all lived.

Willow

Willow Report 19 Jul 2006 08:05

Hi Thanks for all your replies. My main problem is that there are 2 williams, one b1829 and the other 1849. The 1829 matches to my William who didnt die until 1884. Is this the wrong family then, and you wouldnt call two sons the same name would you? I cant find William 1829 on any other census, not until 1871where he gives his occupation as a Chelsea Pensioner working gardener. I think im gonna have to hide all this lot somewhere till I can get to the LMA and Kew, its gonna drive me mad otherwise.

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 19 Jul 2006 08:12

At first glance Dascombe looks like a mistranscription of Rancombe, so the wife's maiden name could be anything.

Willow

Willow Report 19 Jul 2006 08:13

Hi Paul I have Williams and Ellens oldest sons birth certificate its definately Dascombe, and its all transcribed on Bath BMD which gives the mothers maiden name.

Willow

Willow Report 19 Jul 2006 09:38

Thanks snowdrop

Willow

Willow Report 19 Jul 2006 11:49

Would Williams military record as he was described as a Chelsea pensioner give his parents names, or wasnt this done then?

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 19 Jul 2006 11:57

1851 possible - I presume you have already got this info Name: Ellen Dascomb Age: 7 Estimated birth year: abt 1844 Relation: Daughter Gender: Female Where born: C H Hinton, Somerset, England Civil parish: Charterhouse Hinton County/Island: Somerset Country: England Source information: HO107/1940 Registration district: Bath Sub-registration district: Twerton ED, institution, or vessel: 4b Folio: 114 Page: 4 Household schedule number: 13 GSU Number: 221099 Hanah Dascomb abt 1842 C H Hinton, Somerset, England Daughter John Dascomb abt 1808 Bath, Somerset, England Head Mary Dascomb abt 1810 C H Hinton, Somerset, England Wife Siannon Dascomb abt 1847 C H Hinton, Somerset, England Son Maureen

Willow

Willow Report 19 Jul 2006 11:58

Hi glitter Yeah I have alll that. Merry helped me out a while back with the Dascombe's It the Rancombe's that are driving me round the twist.

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 19 Jul 2006 12:24

It is possible that Ellen married as a widow or, if William was in the army, that they married abroad. The service record would show next of kin, but if William joined up after he married, that would be his wife.