Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is Merry around ? Any other super brains out there

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Penelope

Penelope Report 22 Jul 2006 12:15

Hi, has anyone seen Merry around please? Pen x

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 22 Jul 2006 12:24

She's probably doing housework. Don't worry, it doesnt take her long. OC

Penelope

Penelope Report 22 Jul 2006 12:30

Lol, cheers OC. Just had 2 hours sorting out the boys bedroom....now need some me time. I'm stuck and can not see the wood for the trees. I knew hubbys lot would be a nightmare. Pen x

Penelope

Penelope Report 22 Jul 2006 12:48

I am stuck....any ideas on how to confirm that I have the right family between 1901 -1915 ? We have been told that my husbands grt x2 grandfather was born Ireland (looks right) and came over here, but had to change his name. (He was meant to of caused a lot of trouble in Ireland and was disowned by his family - Hubbys aunt says the original name was O'Connell). She claims to of heard that he married a welsh woman and took her name - Roberts - but that does'nt look right on the census if I have the right chap. I know I should take it all with a pinch of salt, but thought I should mention it. On the marriage cert for my hubbys grt grandfather - Thomas Roberts marrying Mary Hunt. Her father is down as deceased - John just has his name down, so assuming he was alive in 1915. Occupation Bootmaker. The marriage took place in Bethnal Green and apparently this is meant to be where they settled. The witness's to the marriage are John Roberts and Ellen Coates. There is an Ellen Roberts, sister, in the census shown below. I have found a possile marriage between Ellen Roberts and a Coates - 1905 Bethnal Green. Thomas was 24 according tohis marriage cert. I am stuck on what to do to confirm that I have found the right family in 1901 and previous census years. I know that 1911 will help but can not wait 6 years, lol. Should I order the possible marriage of Ellen Roberts to Coates and hope for an address match, or am I missing something else.... Any ideas or advice gratefully lapped up! Pen x In 1901 I have found Agnes Roberts abt 1900 Hackney, London, England Daughter Hackney London View Record Charlotte Roberts abt 1864 Ford End, Essex, England Wife Hackney London View Record Charlotte Roberts abt 1897 Hackney, London, England Daughter Hackney London View Record Ellen Roberts abt 1886 Stratford, Essex, England Daughter Hackney London View Record John Roberts abt 1848 Ireland Head Hackney London View Record Mary A Roberts abt 1895 Hackney, London, England Daughter Hackney London View Record Richard Roberts abt 1889 Hackney, London, England Son Hackney London View Record Thomas Roberts abt 1891 Hackney, London, England Son Hackney London Occupation of Head of house - Leather Cutter ******************************************************* In 1891 Charlotte Roberts abt 1864 Waltham, Essex, England Wife St George in the East London View Record John Roberts abt 1848 Ireland Head St George in the East London View Record Richard Roberts abt 1889 St Georges, London, England Son St George in the East London View Record Thomas Roberts abt 1891 St Georges, London, England Son St George in the East London Occupation of John - Boot cutter ************************************************** A possible - 1881 View Record Emily A. Dunleavy abt 1870 Pimlico, Middlesex, England Daughter Lambeth London View Record George Dunleavy abt 1847 Ireland Head Lambeth London View Record Sarah Dunleavy abt 1847 Cambridgeshire, England Wife Lambeth London View Record Sydney G. Dunleavy Camberwell, Surrey, England Son Lambeth London View Record Jane Pay abt 1846 Camberwell, Surrey, England Prisoner Lambeth London View Record John Roberts abt 1847 Ireland Prisoner Lambeth London John is a Dock Labourer The other prisoner is a prostitute Being held at the police station

Merry

Merry Report 22 Jul 2006 13:34

Hello!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am going to have to read that a few more times, before I can take it all in!!! However, I have an excuse (as I have NOT done any housework today)........imagine the scene....these are the required ingredients...... One middle-aged female with midde-age spread, wearing flip-flops Two small children One husband One large pile of library books One handbag One sunny day Walk a mile to the library, spend ages in there.....step out into the GLOOM......Oh nooooo, it looks like RAIN!! Start walking home....half way.....a fat drop of rain..........¾ way home.....three fat drops of rain, a flash of lightening and a roll of thunder........we start running (remember the flip-flops and the pile of books)......250 yards to go and the skies open and someone chucks a MASSIVE bucket of water out.......rain is bouncing two feet into the air......children start crying......reach front door......can't find door keys........Aaagggghhhhhhh....find keys in handbag.......come in........hubby says he must put car in garage.......Says, ''I may be some time''.....doesn't return (because he was waiting for the rain to subside).....children decide he has been struck by lightening.....children howl....... Son finds a Velux skylight is OPEN........soaked carpet......soaked chair, dirty streaked ceiling......... Hubby come back in.....children recover..........I stamp on the wet carpet with a towel in between.............. I come to find a safe haven on GR and instead find this thread!! Merry

Merry

Merry Report 22 Jul 2006 13:42

I would say get the Coates/Roberts marriage cert to check the bride's father is the same name and occupation as the other records for John Roberts. Leather cutter and bootmaker tie together nicely. Merry

Merry

Merry Report 22 Jul 2006 13:49

Who is that Barnett Rueben in 1891? I can't see him on the image? Merry

Merry

Merry Report 22 Jul 2006 13:50

He belongs five doors up the road!! (I had thought he was the key to mum's maiden name for a mo.....!) I think if the Coates marriage ties in, then your 1891 and 1901 censuses look good. Can't say about the 1881...too many John Roberts! You might find something interesting on John Robert's marriage cert, but you will need a birth cert of one of his children to find Charlotte's maiden name, as there are a lot of John Robert's marriages to women called Charlotte............... Merry

Merry

Merry Report 22 Jul 2006 14:42

This seems the most likely marriage (pity about the wife's surname!!!!!!!!): Marriages Dec 1888 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ROBERTS John Whitechapel 1c 763 SMITH Charlotte Whitechapel 1c 763 and 1871 census: >>>>>Charlotte Smith abt 1865 Great Waltham, Essex, England Daughter Great Waltham Essex George Smith abt 1830 Pleshey, Essex, England Head Great Waltham Essex George Smith abt 1867 Great Waltham, Essex, England Son Great Waltham Essex Mary Ann Smith abt 1836 Pleshey, Essex, England Wife Great Waltham Essex Mary Ann Smith abt 1869 Great Waltham, Essex, England Daughter Great Waltham Essex Sarah Warriker abt 1860 Great Waltham, Essex, England Niece Great Waltham Essex George Smith is an Ag Lab! Merry

Janice

Janice Report 22 Jul 2006 14:49

Someone on another thread earlier had a George Smith!!!

Merry

Merry Report 22 Jul 2006 14:57

I expect everyone has a George Smith somewhere! I have four on my tree! Merry

Penelope

Penelope Report 22 Jul 2006 15:04

Hi - sorry about that - had to dismantle an old wardrobe. Will just read through and get up to speed. Pen xx

Penelope

Penelope Report 22 Jul 2006 15:14

OMG ......rain and flip flops, not a good combi, lol. I'm sorry to be a pain but you helped me out before when I was stuck on my BROWNS - census stated sheffield - was later basingstoke - misheard and turned out to be Sherfied Lodden in Hants. You managed to find the right wife and everything I confirmed it all with the RIGHT certs, lol. Well, now I needed to pick your brain about this ROBERTS lot. Have already found that my hubbys uncle was illegitimate and not his grandfathers and now been thrown these other tales lol. Want to make sure I have the right lot on 1901 first though. Thanks for your help, I thought perhaps seeking out possible marriages of children between the years 1901 -15 would help with the info on John. Pen x

Merry

Merry Report 22 Jul 2006 15:18

Yes, finding the marriages of other children after 1901 would be good, but won't it be very difficult? The dau who was a witness is OK because you then knew what spouse surname you were looking for.....but if you don't.......................... I remember the Sherfield/Sheffield thing now you mention it! Merry

Penelope

Penelope Report 22 Jul 2006 15:25

I thought you might remember it. Was thinking of tryng to find a Richard Roberts marrying in Bethnal Green and asking if they could check that the father was a John Roberts. Can't be many Richard Roberts can there, lol. Those were the two I was hoping for - Ellen being a Coates and just hoping for a possible on R.R. Pen x

Penelope

Penelope Report 23 Jul 2006 15:26

Hi Have been told that 'our' Thomas Roberts (the one that married Mary Hunt) died in the early 70's - between 1971-73 in Harrow. Have also been given the addy that he was at when he died. Have found this death - age ties in nicely with the family I have found on the census'. In 1891 census Thomas Roberts is shown as 3 mths - so this death does look good. (If ever a death can look good, lol) Thomas Roberts Born 3rd January 1891 Died Harrow September 1971 5b 1939 Which means this could be his birth - place matches census info Thomas Roberts March 1891 St George In the East London Surrey Volume 1a Page 392 So, am I right in thinking that - If the birth dates match I have the right John Roberts (father) and family on the census's. And I should be able to match to the address that I have been given in Harrow (the place of death) Would that clinch it Merry...still would'nt hurt to order the Roberts/coates marriage though, lol. Pen x

Merry

Merry Report 23 Jul 2006 17:07

Looks good......order everything!! lol Merry

Penelope

Penelope Report 23 Jul 2006 17:36

Will do, lol Pen x

Penelope

Penelope Report 29 Jul 2006 09:52

Morning Merry, I'm so excited..... Two of the certs have arrived just now, still waiting for the marriage cert of the possible sister Ellen Roberts to Coates, but not fussed now. The good news is that the birth date on the death cert matches the birth cert from 1891. The address on the death cert is the one that I had been given and the informants details match my husbands grandfather. The birth cert addy matches the census addy for 1891 and the parents are John and Charlotte. John being a leather cutter. Looks like you were right with that marriage as Charlotte's maiden name is down as Smith.....lol. The best bit about it all is that my hubby has an Uncle John, son of the Thomas born 1891. He is still alive, but a bit 'detached' from the family ( I have not asked why) But hubbys aunt contacted him and asked if he would help out and he did. His going to get someone to write it all down with him, but he remembers that the grandmother was Charlotte etc and not welsh. So hopefully lot's of little bits of info will soon be winging it's way to me. Once again thanks for the help....off to order that marriage cert now. Pen x

Merry

Merry Report 29 Jul 2006 09:55

Oooh, goodie! It's nice when it all comes together and you KNOW you are on the right track!! Merry