Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Still need to know WHERE to search for death, Eng

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tiger-Lily

Tiger-Lily Report 30 Jul 2006 18:08

See below in a mo.....

Tiger-Lily

Tiger-Lily Report 30 Jul 2006 18:10

I asked about this on here before, but I had slightly different info then and I also think I put the question badly. So I’ll try again. I am told that my great uncle died in Canada whilst still a young man. His body was brought home for burial. But I cannot find his death registered on Ancestry and I have really looked. Would the fact that he died abroad make a difference? The details, for anyone who would be kind enough to do a look-up for me, are as follows: William Kirby born about 1897 in Lambeth, London and also buried thereabouts according to family stories. I think that he died in the period from 1925 – 28. Thank you for any help or suggestions you can give. TGx

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 30 Jul 2006 18:14

I would have thought his death would be registered in Canada and not England. Or are you asking for a Canadian death lookup? Rose

Tiger-Lily

Tiger-Lily Report 30 Jul 2006 18:19

Well thats the thing - I really don't know where to look. Any suggestions please Rose? TGx

Lady Cutie

Lady Cutie Report 30 Jul 2006 18:37

tg. on deaths i've found a william j kirby lambeth 1d, 205, 1926 oct/nov/dec. hazel.

fraserbooks

fraserbooks Report 30 Jul 2006 18:39

I have a relative who died while on a lecture tour of Canada and his death was registered in Canada and his body was brought home to be buried in England. The Canadian entry gave cause of death as well. I found it on ancestry but had to ask for a look up. Do you know what province of Canada he died in? Have you tried the national burial index for the date?

Tiger-Lily

Tiger-Lily Report 30 Jul 2006 18:46

Thank you Hazel, that seems likely - I'll check it out this evening. Annie, sorry to seem thick, but how do I ask for a look-up other than on here? Regards to you both. TGx

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 30 Jul 2006 18:52

This death is for a 60 year old: william j kirby lambeth 1d, 205, 1926 oct/nov/dec So that can't be the right one. Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 30 Jul 2006 18:53

Do you have him in 1901? It might help to know if he had a middle name. Rose

Lady Cutie

Lady Cutie Report 30 Jul 2006 19:00

tg, rose is right it could'nt be him iif he died young, sorry hazel.

Tiger-Lily

Tiger-Lily Report 30 Jul 2006 19:21

Yes I have him in the 1901 census, but no middle name I am afraid. Rg13, peice 401, Folio 134, Page 40, schedule 316. TGx

Merry

Merry Report 30 Jul 2006 19:38

I think he will have a middle name! There's no birth reg in Lambeth district, so maybe he was born just outside the area, but ALL the William Kirby's born 1896-97 in Surrey have a middle name.....you just need to work out which one is him! Merry

Tiger-Lily

Tiger-Lily Report 30 Jul 2006 19:56

I did find a likely one - William John Kirby - born 1897, 1st Q, vol 1d,Page 61, St Saviour, Southwark. But I am simply not sure it is him at this stage and didn't want to give unsafe facts. TGX

Tiger-Lily

Tiger-Lily Report 30 Jul 2006 20:25

I feel that I would still like to know where to search for William's dearth - England or Canada? In the meantime, I will continue to try to find more about him. TGx

Merry

Merry Report 30 Jul 2006 20:32

His death will have been registered in Canada, if he died there. Sometimes overseas deaths are shown on the Overseas Death registrations which are available through 1837online and Family Relatives - this is when the death has been reported at the British Consulate in the country where the death took place. However, I don't think I have ever seen a death from Canada or the US recorded there, so imagine those countries did pass on records to the UK. Merry

Tiger-Lily

Tiger-Lily Report 30 Jul 2006 20:43

Oh dear, I wonder if I will ever find this one. Thanks Merry. TGx

Merry

Merry Report 30 Jul 2006 20:43

Maybe he was buried with his parents? If you can find their deaths it might be worth trying to find their place of burial and there might be a family plot. Merry

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 30 Jul 2006 21:02

There are some William John Kirbys listed in the Ontario, Canada Marriages, 1857-1922 on Ancestry. I don't have access though. Do you know where in Canada he was? Rose