Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

could it be a mistake?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carole

Carole Report 3 Aug 2006 20:31

in the 1891 census theres a listing for my gt grandad isaac kay, his wife annie, daughter sarah a and an isaac percival aged 1. 1) in the listing it says isaac percival and fathers name edward. when you actually look at the handwritten census page isaac is named as isaac kay son of isaac kay senior. (also theres noone called edward there-its a barge they were living on.) 2) in the 1901 census young isaac is listed again but as kay. also hes been turned into jack as his christian name!!! im having trouble tracing any of the family any further back from 1881. i cant fine any trace of isaac senior b4 then born c1865 or annie c1865. i need to trace someone as im trying to find sarahs maiden name. thanx car01exx

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Aug 2006 20:34

If you are asking if the census entry is a mistake, well, yes, I've found mistakes on censuses, certificates, electoral rolls, gravestones, parish registers etc etc. Who are you looking for, where and when?

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 3 Aug 2006 20:36

It could be a transcription error, if I understand you correctly. In which case, it's worth putting in a correction report if you can suss out a way of doing so. I spotted a really silly error the other day, where the spouse-matching had an 8-year-old entered as the spouse! Can't see how to tell them about that one. Christine

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Aug 2006 20:39

1891 I can only find Prestwich Lancashire Isaac Kay abt 1865 Prestwich, Lancashire, Head with wife Annie and son Isaac, no Sarah. Annie born Wellington, Shropshire, Isaac is a cabman. Is this your lot?

Carole

Carole Report 3 Aug 2006 20:40

hi nell im trying to trace back my gt gt grandparents. isaac kay c1865 wherlock cheshire married annie c1865 barlaston staffs sarah a kay daug c1888 staffs isaac/jack kay 1890 manchester. isaac senior was a bargeman and i can find all of them on 1891 and 1901 census but nothing before that. i cant find definate birth records for children to order certs and so can find no maiden name of annie or even a marriage cert. cant even find isaac before he was married. aaarrrhhhhh!!! car01exx

Helen

Helen Report 3 Aug 2006 20:40

If you ancestors were living & working on the canals & rivers, it is possible that the enumerator never managed to catch them on census night. I have ancestors working on the barges in the Hull area and one woman didn't trouble the census until 1881, despite being born in the mid-1820s Helen

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Aug 2006 20:44

Found them! 1891 The boat appears to be called 'Paragon'. Isaac Kay 26mate waterman mate b. Cheshire Wherlock Annie Kay 26 mate's wife passenger b Staffordshire Barleston Sarah A. ' daughter 3 Cheshire Middlewich Isaac ' son 1 b. Lancashire Manchester They are transcribed as: Annie Kay 26 Isaac Kay 26 Sarah A Kay 3 Isaac Percival 1 So yes, the transcription is wrong. As its Isaac junior's name that is wrong, you can change that. Click on his name on the transcription list to get his record and then click on comments and corrections on the top right hand box. You can then submit your correction. nell

Janet in Yorkshire

Janet in Yorkshire Report 3 Aug 2006 20:46

i understand that due to all the moving about, boat people didn't always comply with civil registration. Jay

Carole

Carole Report 3 Aug 2006 20:47

aawww bless you helen/nell, i found them there too but its further back that i cant trace them. sorry hun but thank you car01exx

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Aug 2006 20:48

This MIGHT be Isaac junior's birth ref: Isaac Kay Year of Registration: 1889 Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec District: Chorlton County: Lancashire Volume: 8c Page: 877 I believe Chorlton reg district is near Manchester, which is where Isaac says he's born in 1891. If registered at the very end of 1889, he might well appear to have been born 1890. nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Aug 2006 20:51

Possible for Sarah: Name: Sarah Annie Kay Year of Registration: 1887 Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep District: Northwich County: Cheshire Volume: 8a Page: 286

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Aug 2006 20:54

1881 roughly right age and county: Name: Isaac Kay Age: 17 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1864 Relation: Son Father's name: Isaac Mother's name: Margaret Gender: Male Where Born: Birkenhead, Cheshire, England Street address: 34 Green Lane Civil parish: Tranmere County/Island: Cheshire Occupation: Fisherman EMI Registration district: Birkenhead Sub reg district: Tranmere Household Members: Name Age Andrew B. Kay 9 Eliza Kay 11 Isaac Kay 45 Isaac Kay 17 James Kay 15 John Kay 19 Margaret Kay 43 William Kay 13 William Matthews 25 Andrew Saite 23 Mary A. Saite 23

Carole

Carole Report 3 Aug 2006 20:54

have put the errror to them thanx helen. i will order those 2 certs, hopefully they will show me something. im stuck without annie maiden name. thanx again for all your help. i trawl my way through and its only when i feel like kicking the computor i decide i must turn to you all for help! dont know what id do without you all thank you car01exx

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Aug 2006 20:56

Possible marriage Isaac Kay Year of Registration: 1885 Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun District: Stockport County: Cheshire, Lancashire Volume: 8a Page: 77 others on page Annie Ibles Martha Elizabeth Lydiate George Robert Manifold

Carole

Carole Report 3 Aug 2006 20:59

a question about marriage entries. if i am looking for isaac marriage, would ann be on the same page somewhere? how would i go about comparing her to him to match them? probably a really dumb question lol car01exxx

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 3 Aug 2006 21:04

Can I just add that the reference to Barlaston is probably incorrect as well. I suspect that it should read Darlaston. This is in the Wolverhampton area and is criss crossed by the Birmingham Canal network. My wife had botmen as ancestors but we have now managed to trace then on the censuses. Mostly they were on dry land when the enumerator called. Some were christend at a place called Stoke Prior near Droitwich, wchich was halfway along the Worcs and Birmingham Canal, which they used to ply, and quote this as their birthplace on the census. In at least two cases we know they were born in Tewkesbury, but the family did a 'mass christening' some years later.

Kerry Ann

Kerry Ann Report 3 Aug 2006 21:38

hi carole have been looking on bmd and found marriage for isacc kay and found matching volume and page number with annie her maiden name must have been ibles kerry ann

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Aug 2006 21:44

Re the marriage entry I have found an Isaac Kay and an Annie Ible on the same vol and page along with some other people. There is no way of knowing IF this Isaac and Annie married eachother, or other people on the same page, apart from getting the cert. the census evidence suggests they did - but only the marriage cert or the birth cert of one of their children will tell you if it was Annie Ible. nell

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 3 Aug 2006 21:47

From Cheshire BMD's Cheshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1881 to 1885 KAY Isaac IBLES Annie Marple, All Saints Stockport Snowdrops Sorry forgot to say www.cheshirebmd.org.uk

Carole

Carole Report 4 Aug 2006 19:18

thank you for that. ive only just seen the last two messages. it looks like them so i will order certs to make sure. thank you all soooo much. carolexx