Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anybody know Nottinghamshire place names?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jennie

Jennie Report 6 Aug 2006 15:01

Can anyone please decipher the birthplace of Walter Godfrey age 35 on RG13/4310, Folio: 20, Page: 32. If you read the transcript you will know why I ask!! I've looked in my Road Atlas and cannot find anything like it. Thanks, Jennie

Pippa

Pippa Report 6 Aug 2006 15:04

Which census?

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Aug 2006 15:06

Step one - look at image step 2 - despair! Something Forest? Possibly Nottingham Forest? I'd suggest finding this chap on an earlier census.

Dea

Dea Report 6 Aug 2006 15:07

It is transcribed as Carlton, Nottingham - the image looks VERY much like Robbin Hood Forest, which quite makes sense. Dea x

Jennie

Jennie Report 6 Aug 2006 15:07

Hi Pippa 1901

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Aug 2006 15:07

I see the blighter just says Nottinghamshire in 1871 & 1881.

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Aug 2006 15:09

Possibly his birth: Name: Walter Godfrey Year of Registration: 1867 Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep District: Nottingham County: Nottinghamshire Volume: 7b Page: 228

Jennie

Jennie Report 6 Aug 2006 15:10

Dea His birthplace is transcribed as Nobting Frerd!!!

Dea

Dea Report 6 Aug 2006 15:10

Nell, please have another look - to me it is quite clearly 'robbin hood forest' ?? Would welcome your opinion. Dea x

Jennie

Jennie Report 6 Aug 2006 15:13

Nell Thanks for birth reg. I haven't been able to find him on 1891.

Pippa

Pippa Report 6 Aug 2006 15:14

There is an area in Nottingham called Forest Fields. It is where the Goose Fair is now held on the Forest Recreation Field where Nottm Forest first played when they were a hockey (it was some sport like that) team I think. It is full of ladies of the night and students. There are lots of terrace houses and is next to an area called Hyson Green also equally as pleasant.

Jennie

Jennie Report 6 Aug 2006 15:14

Dea Now I've looked at it again, with your suggestion, I agree. Do you think he was really born in the forest?!!!!

Dea

Dea Report 6 Aug 2006 15:18

I really can't imagine,but I doubt it. Why not send off for the cert and then get back to us? Dea x

Pippa

Pippa Report 6 Aug 2006 15:21

Have you seen my reply?

Jennie

Jennie Report 6 Aug 2006 15:24

Dea It is his wife I was really interested in but just wanted to know where he was born for my records. He must have had a great time pretending to be Robin Hood when he was a boy. Thanks everyone for your help. Jennie

RStar

RStar Report 6 Aug 2006 15:50

Hi, most of my living relatives and ancestors are from the Notts area, so I know the probs you're having! I'll be happy to help if you get stuck on any other names.

Linda

Linda Report 6 Aug 2006 15:58

Hi I thought it said Robin Hood Terr or Terrace. I have looked on the Nottingham 1901 map and there is a Robin Hood Terrace. I've also looked on street maps and it is there if you want to look yourself. Strange to give a street as birth place though!! Lin

Jennie

Jennie Report 6 Aug 2006 16:20

Rebekah Thanks for your offer of help but I don't have many 'strays' All my rellies - both sides - were from Lincolnshire where I still live. Lin Now I've looked at it again I think you could be right as I thought the penstroke at the end of the name was part of it but now realise it is just a 'counting' mark. Also having looked at the 1871 and 1881 for him he was living in the city of Nottingham age 3 and 13. Thanks, Jennie

Jack

Jack Report 6 Aug 2006 21:28

Looks like it might well say 'Robbin Hood Ter'. Strange indeed that he gave an address to the enumerator but he was living in Carlton, Yorkshire by then, so might have thought that's what he was supposed to do when asked the question 'Where were you born?' The enumerator, being from Yorks, maybe just took what he said as the name of a place in Notts, not knowing any better. Might be worth getting his birth cert to see if it tallies. Btw, one interesting but totally unconnected fact I've just discovered is that Alfred Hitchcock's mother-in-law lived at Robin Hood Terrace in Nottingham in her youth!! Jack