Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

wot have they done to Ancestry? now have the answe

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

hallyally

hallyally Report 6 Aug 2006 23:02

see tip at end of thread if you are interested! Been on it tonight for the first time in a couple of weeks and they seem to have altered the census 'name list' format. It's rubbish! How can I print up a list of names for quick reference now?

Willow

Willow Report 6 Aug 2006 23:55

I think its better, least now you search along side a name for a husband etc

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 6 Aug 2006 23:58

I hated it at first but not now I reckon its brilliant.

Kath

Kath Report 7 Aug 2006 00:48

I agree Allie i don't like it either In fact i hate it that much that i put in a complaint to Ancestry for what it's worth

Gill1957

Gill1957 Report 7 Aug 2006 10:31

Hmm yes whilst I agree with Val that now I've gotten a bit more used to it, it's not so bad, BUT I'm still greiving the loss of My Ancestry - people I'm looking for don't like shoebox at all and I'm not planning on putting tree onto Ancestry so I can't do searches now from any other PC than the one with my FTM on (i.e. at home, no lunch breaks on Ancestry for me anymore) cos I have now set up to save direct to PC - Kath I also put in complaint email, got reply saying they were sorry I didn't like the improvements and that I should call customer services to talk about it - perhaps we should all do that they might listen when their phone lines jam!! Gill (also in Essex) :))

Bill

Bill Report 7 Aug 2006 12:04

> perhaps we should all do that they might listen when their > phone lines jam!! You are making a huge assumption that 'all' share your view! For me they are great improvements and very well worthwhile. Cheers, Bill

babs123

babs123 Report 7 Aug 2006 12:27

Me too, it's a much better site now, I never used their My Ancestry anyway so not affected by that bit. Hope you get used to it soon Kat

hallyally

hallyally Report 7 Aug 2006 18:22

Thanks all for your replies.... I just can't see the improvement myself. It was so easy to print the list of your people from the census, and see their age, place of birth and relationships for quick reference. So PLEASE Have I missed something or is this still available to print up? And what are the new 'improvements' as I haven't noticed them..... As I said before, I've not been near the computer for a couple of weeks and STILL haven't been able to spend any 'quality' time with my ancesters! Allie

Gwen

Gwen Report 7 Aug 2006 18:31

I like it and think its brilliant. I expect you will get used to it. I have put my tree on and think it is great the way it immediately finds source information for you once you have entered your rellies details. The option to keep it private is also good. Gwen

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 7 Aug 2006 18:35

hiya, i have had problems also getting my head round the new format, however i am getting used to it if i need a family page, all i do is print off the actual census image, and they are breeding LOL not much of a conselation i know, but it does help for easy ref HTH Julie

hallyally

hallyally Report 7 Aug 2006 21:13

Hi Julie I still think it is far easier to read the 'list' of people rather than try to make out the scrawl on the census return! The mind can just focus on those you are interested in rather than Mrs Bloggs and her thirteen children next door....... I was thinking of renewing my Ancestry soon, but am having second thoughts now. It's SO ANNOYING! Allie x

Lesley

Lesley Report 7 Aug 2006 21:33

Lesley Trying to get into Ancestry I have only recently started to look into my family tree and for a while I was getting nowhere and someone suggested to try Ancestry, so I did but it won't let me past my password and no matter how many times I have tried and even used a new password it still wont let me in. Am not very enamoured with them and have now found other avenues to pursue thank you very much.

hallyally

hallyally Report 7 Aug 2006 21:57

Hi Leslie Sorry to hear of your probs with Ancestry. Despite what I have said, it really is worth subscribing so hope you can sort out what is going wrong! I have got such a long way with the scantiest bits of info since joining! Allie x

hallyally

hallyally Report 7 Aug 2006 22:59

Thanks, but when I did the 'other on page' thing, my lot were not there! Allie

Philip

Philip Report 8 Aug 2006 01:04

I'm just confused I seem to be missing half the names I had saved, now i've got to figure out all over again where i found the info!!

hallyally

hallyally Report 8 Aug 2006 14:34

Sorted!!!!!! Select 'Printer Friendly view' I just select my names (make sure you also select the heading) - click on edit - copy - paste into WORD - and then print. You can then edit out the names you don't want using WORD. A bit more work, but the whole thing is clearer than the page you load from Ancestry and is in larger print. Plus you don't get all the small print at the bottom of the page! Allie

Dea

Dea Report 8 Aug 2006 16:51

Gill, 'My Ancestry is still there - I used it the other day - I will go and have a look where to find it. Dea x

Gill1957

Gill1957 Report 9 Aug 2006 09:35

Hi Dea, - yeh the my ancestry is still there, I found it during my 50 minute panic and help from someone on here (of course!!) I've emailed Philip and listed where to find - my main gripe was that we can't continue to use it - for those of us starting out the my ancestry was a great tool that has now gone - shame but as others have said we will get used to it - I DO like some of the other features and will be renewing - but means I can only search from one PC now as have to make sure to save direct to PC as I'm not putting my tree on there - Gill :))