Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Curious Fox

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Raymond

Raymond Report 14 Aug 2006 10:04

This is a Web site I came across While doing some research, I found very helpful, it is a Free or pay site, depending on what you want out of it. I have never seen it mentioned anywhere before so I thought I would put it up. www(.)curiosfox(.)org(.)uk

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 14 Aug 2006 10:05

Yes. Although it's limited in scope I've more than once made a useful contact and it's only a fiver for full membership.

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Aug 2006 10:12

I find Curious Fox excellent. I've found far more decent contacts from there than from GR! Bev x

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 14 Aug 2006 10:19

the address slightly wrong www(.)curiousfox(.)com Remove brackets jeanette

Mandy

Mandy Report 14 Aug 2006 10:22

In the original thread, the word curious didn't have a u in it! It worked when I adjusted the spelling. My fingers never go as fast as my brain!

Horatia

Horatia Report 14 Aug 2006 10:27

I too like Curious Fox. You have an exchange of information with contacts rather than just pressing buttons and looking at trees! Curious Fox encourages COMMUNICATION rather than rude button pushing and impersonal templates! All power to Curious Fox! I've found many contacts there who have given me information about relatives who had literally fallen off the face of the earth. The reason they had fallen off the face of the earth was because they had changed surname and emigrated. Lots of stuff about jumping ship etc etc! But all proved. Cheers, Horatia

The Ego

The Ego Report 14 Aug 2006 10:53

curious fox is like a lucky dip.....there is no way it could compare on a broad scale in contact possibilities...some get lucky ....2 villages I have relatives in have less than 5 entries on the site....if youre getting more contacts on there than through genes then youve been lucky on curious fox or unlucky on genes.

fraserbooks

fraserbooks Report 14 Aug 2006 10:56

I just find the small typeface a bit off putting. I have had more luck leaving details on village websites. A lot seem to have a section for family history. You never know where you might find information though and if you make contact with someone researching the same village they might have some new sources.

Horatia

Horatia Report 14 Aug 2006 11:09

Quantity in contacts doesn't always equal Quality! I have passed info onto some GR contacts only to watch them massacre my info but putting many of the dates on incorrectly! Sooo annoying! :-( Cheers, Horatia PS What many people don't realise is that if you put messages on Curious Fox, they come up on Google Searches, so a casual surfer is more likely to spot your messages. Put as many messages on there as possible - that's my advice but make your messages clear and concise. Many messages are far too long and confusing. The messages need to be attention grabbers! Put any surnames in your messages in capital letters so that they jump out at readers.

Cornish

Cornish Report 14 Aug 2006 11:11

Is definitely worth registering for free on Curious Fox, then if you do find any contacts worth pursuing you can always pay the £5 and upgrade. I'm just wondering whether to do that or not, as I found a message on there last night relating to one of my lines, but it was dated 2003. There's definitely no harm in using Curious Fox as an extra source of information, and entering some details on it. You never know who else might be looking at it :) Bex PS. That's very true Horatio, it's very handy from the googling aspect. Think I will add a few more messages on there using your tips. :)

Mavis

Mavis Report 14 Aug 2006 14:00

Also find Curious Fox a quick way to link to old photos and maps of the village I'm interested in. Mavis

Mavis

Mavis Report 14 Aug 2006 14:15

Another thought, check your own village, see if you can help, checking graveyards, knowing if streets/houses still exist etc Mavis

Anne

Anne Report 14 Aug 2006 23:21

Earlier this month a 3rd cousin found me through a message that I posted on there 3 years ago !!!! I have found it a very good and useful site.............through one of my many contacts I now have photos of my great grand parents and all 12 of their children including my grand mother who died when my father was 4, I had never seen a photo of her. Well worth the £5 a year !!! Gill

Tikal

Tikal Report 23 Sep 2006 22:54

nudge- i really like this site and have found useful

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Sep 2006 23:00

I contacted someone on CF who actually lives in one of my relatives' old houses!!!!

dragongirl

dragongirl Report 25 Sep 2006 20:31

Hi Curious Fox seems to have a big following in USA and Canada I have had contacts from both places with great results and they have contacted me out of the blue really has I`d forgotten some of the messages which are a few years old now.

Tikal

Tikal Report 8 Nov 2006 22:29

nudge

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 11 Nov 2006 23:31

n

Tikal

Tikal Report 12 Nov 2006 00:09

The day after my nudge I get my first positive link on curious fox! A 4th cousin, researching the same line as me. She is also not on any of the other sites you might expect! I am not even a paid member. So not a bad result for free.