Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Did I knock down this 'Love' wall last week or am

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 15 Aug 2006 12:24

I have been trying to find my Elizabeth Love since last year;;;This G.Gran has been very elusive, we found her last year living as a lodger with her brother Sam staying with aunt and uncle in 1871;;;;Elizabeth and Joseph Quarman;;This must have been before she married my G,Grandad in 1871/or is it her??? as they got married Jan 22nd 1871 she says father Sam deceased and that she is from Netherton they got married in All Saints parish of Moxley Staffs;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;more

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 15 Aug 2006 12:28

I have foun one whos is down as father Sam but he is married to Lydia in 1861 and they lived Shinfield Berks sorry phone;;;; RG9 piece 751 folio 88 but then there is a James and Harriet 1861 RG9 piece 2090 Folio 74;; My grandfather came from Dudley yet they married in Moxley ;; any Ideas please all I want is to get her birth cert;; Babs

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 15 Aug 2006 12:35

Sorry didnt add she is down on Wedding cer as been 20 so born in 1851;; if that is any help;; I have gone crossed eyed looking at birth details;;on Ancestry and 1837;; Babs

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 15 Aug 2006 13:21

Babs, on the 1861 census there's an 11 yr. old Elizabeth Love with a 1 yr. old brother Samuel. The parents are James & Harriet and they're living next door to Joseph & Elizabeth Quarman in St. Swithins, Worcester. This seems to be the brother & sister that you found in 1871. However the 1871 census was done on 2 April so she couldn't be your Elizabeth since she was still a Love and listed as unmarried. Sounds like a confusing one, good luck! Margaret

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 15 Aug 2006 13:43

Thanks Margaret, Yes I know ;;; I am not sure she is the one on the 1861 census, but just carnt find them anywhere else;; if it was she has Sam as older brother aged 7 when she was 5 ;;ah right so that would mean she was born 1851 not 1850; she also has a younger brother listed as Thomas 3 and William 5months but its just this sorting out the right one ;; In 1861 there is 2 Elizabeths 1 with father James and the other Father Sam;; Babs

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 15 Aug 2006 15:01

Babs, You didn't mention what your g. grandad's name was. Was it, perhaps, Thomas Stroyd? If so, that couple are already on the 1871 census so you can discount the brother and sister living with the aunt and uncle in 1871. Margaret

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 15 Aug 2006 17:29

Marget and Jim sorry been out to shop and then was kicked of comp;; Yes her husband was Thomas Stroyd, and dont who where born as on wedding cert she has put Netherton;; Babs

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 15 Aug 2006 17:53

Babs, On the 1871 census, he says born 1851, Netherton, she 1851, Brierley Hill. They're living in Bilston, Staffordshire. In 1881 he says born 1852, Dudley and she 1852, Netherton, living in Barrow-in-Furness, Lanc. By 1891 she must have died and he's got a new wife and a bunch of step-children. He says born 1851, Netherton. Living now in Linthorpe, Middlesbrough. I have a Spencer family in my tree, born Netherton and ended up in Middlesbrough. They alternately gave place of birth as Netherton or Dudley. Hope this helps, Margaret

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 15 Aug 2006 18:15

Margater yes you are following right family , but Thomas didnt get a new wife that I know of;;' Elizabeth died 05 Oct 1884 I have her death cert, but its her birth cert I want and carnt find;; Margarer thats wierd isnt it yours endind up her in the Boro to , a lot of Spencers around here;;;

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 15 Aug 2006 18:58

Babs, in 1891 there's a Thomas Stroyd, aged 40, born Netherton, living at 25 Derwent St., Linthorpe with a wife, Emma aged 46. His children James 16, born Bilston, Staff, Lizzie 11 born Barrow in Furness, Arthur 9, also Barrow in F and George 3 born M'bro are with him as well as 5 step-children named Welsh. Margaret

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 15 Aug 2006 22:51

Jim and Margaret many thanks for your help;; Jim I honestly didnt know he had remarried anoth name to look for Welsh ;; Many many thanks for that;; and sorry wasnt back earlier but got company;; Would still like help of anyone for getting Elizabeths birth cert;; Babs

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 15 Aug 2006 23:23

Yuo're very welcome, Babs. Actually that second marriage didn't last very long. On the 1901 census he's a widower again. I found the death of Emma in 1896, M'bro, aged 50. Jim, where or what is Soton? I got out my Road Atlas to look but couldn't find it. Margaret

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 15 Aug 2006 23:28

LOL Margaret you have had me reading all the messages to see where Sorton was mentioned ;; and its Jims name ;;;;hehe

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 16 Aug 2006 12:14

Thanks Jim, I learn something new every day! No wonder I couldn't find it in my road atlas. My excuse, I'm a colonial, don't use Royal Mail, use Canada Post. Margaret

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 16 Aug 2006 12:29

Hehe you to ;;;what you like but I am in England Margaret and I didnt know ;;;LOL;; Stourbridge, never heard of the place but I will give it a go ;;; I cannot get my head around the new ways on Ancestry at all used the old one to long I think ;;will keep playing with it and try to find them on the other census years now ;; Thanks again you two very much appreciated Babs

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 16 Aug 2006 12:57

Jim thanks you are a darling;; Ps I love the new name ;;; you have me singing now ; Rosie and Jim Rosie and Jim;;; friends daughter had all videos for them and used to play them all time ;;;hehe Will look at those sites , many thanks for your help give me whole set new rellies to look for now;;;LOL Babs

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 16 Aug 2006 13:10

Thanks, Jim, but you didn't have to change your name for the sake of us two dummies! (Sorry, Babs) I've never heard the song 'Rosie & Jim'. I must be too old. Thanks for the info about the Netherton, Dudley, Brierley Hill areas, Jim. It's a very confusing area, isn't it? My Spencers didn't even seem to know which county they were from. Sometimes it was Stafford, sometimes Worcester. Incidentally, I have connections to both of you in that I was born in M'bro, Babs, and when I came to Canada I sailed from Soton, Jim. (And don't ask me if it was a clipper ship.) Margaret

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 16 Aug 2006 13:13

Margaret if I can help you any in the search about your rellies in the Boro I would be happy to do so , the same as for anyone else out there if you read this thread;; Babs