Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help please anyone

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 19 Aug 2006 15:17

Most of my ancestors came from Scotland. I have been told that one off them went to live in England. It is rumoured that she left with a horse trainer and went to Newmarket. I have a birth of 1896 for her but she is the only one in the family that I cannot find any marriage or death for. Her name is Catherine Jane Kerr. I only have access to scottish records. Is there anyone out there that can help. Thanks Julie

Mandy

Mandy Report 19 Aug 2006 15:31

Have you tried alternative spellings of her name? Kerr could very easily be misconstrued, and there are loads of ways of spelling Catherine, including nicknames!

Mandy

Mandy Report 19 Aug 2006 15:34

And of course, if she did marry, she wouldn't be called Kerr when she died.

Gwen

Gwen Report 19 Aug 2006 15:35

Where was she born Gwen

Heather

Heather Report 19 Aug 2006 15:36

Hi Julie You could try searching the BMD index on Ancestry, (which is free at the moment I think), starting from when she might have been old enough to marry. It might be a long job as you'd have to look at the images. Heather

Julie

Julie Report 19 Aug 2006 15:36

Thanks Mandy I have already tried that. The problem I have got is I only have Scotlands People. I have found lots of info on her siblings but nothing on her apart from her bith certificate. My father sayas that he was speaking to an older aunt and that she recalls her moving away with this man to England, but cannot recall his name.

Julie

Julie Report 19 Aug 2006 15:37

Hi Gwen She was born 1896 Knockando Moray Scotland.

Mandy

Mandy Report 19 Aug 2006 15:38

There are quite a few possible marriages, but do you know which area of England she may have been in, or was it most likely Newmarket when she married?

Julie

Julie Report 19 Aug 2006 15:41

Hi Mandy I was told that she went away with a horse trainer and that they went to Newmarket. I have searched Scotland and cannot find a marriage, so I am assumingthat she married down there somewhere or never married him at all.

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 19 Aug 2006 15:41

Do you have her exact date of birth? If she lived until 1984 (she would have been 88, so it's possible), then we can search Ancestry death index by first name and date of birth, to see what comes up.

Julie

Julie Report 19 Aug 2006 15:43

Hi Richard She was born 30 september 1896

Gwen

Gwen Report 19 Aug 2006 15:46

Have you any idea how old she was when she married and his name. Gwen

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 19 Aug 2006 15:48

These are the only Catherines with that birth date who died in England/Wales between 1984 and 2004. Nothing too promising there I'm afraid: Marjorie Catherine Bresher 30 Sep 1896 Mar 1984 87 Southampton Hampshire Margaret Catherine Fleming 30 Sep 1896 Nov 1991 95 Tunbridge Wells Kent Catherine Campbell Forbes 30 Sep 1896 Dec 1993 97 North Tyneside Tyne And Wear Catherine McGeary 30 Sep 1896 Dec 1984 88 Blackpool And Fylde Lancashire Catherine Ryan 30 Sep 1896 Nov 1992 96 Liverpool Lancashire Richard

Julie

Julie Report 19 Aug 2006 15:54

Hi Gwen She had achild in Scotland about 1925 give or take a couple of years. The child was left with my g grandmother to bring up. I am guessing she must of married after that.

Gwen

Gwen Report 19 Aug 2006 15:59

Sorry still looking on ancestry but not having a lot of luck as yet. Gwen

Julie

Julie Report 19 Aug 2006 15:59

Hi Richard Iam assuming that there is no record of maiden name.

Gwen

Gwen Report 19 Aug 2006 16:06

sorry cannot find anything you might have to search through the BMD marriage indexes. I was doing that last night for one of my rellies very tedious but I found him in the end. Gwen

Julie

Julie Report 19 Aug 2006 16:08

Hi Gwen Thanks anyway, as you know these things have a way of turning up. I will keep looking. Julie