Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Slaves!!! Any Tips??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deb

Deb Report 22 Aug 2006 22:32

I am facing the possibility that my 4xg grandfather was a slave from the West Indies and came to England sometime before 1809...Has anybody got any tips/suggestions on tracing slaves? Thank you. Deb

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 22 Aug 2006 22:32

Here's a tip Debs Check the message from Mary on the other thread!

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Aug 2006 22:38

The National Archives website has details of a book which might help --Tracing Your West Indian Ancestors-- RECOMMENDED (Paperback) Author: Guy Grannum Publisher: The National Archives Date published: September 2002 ISBN: 1903365384 Price: £14.99 'The foremost guide to the wealth of sources available to those researching West Indians. Reviews: **'Essential reading, highly recommended' - Caribbean Roots **'It works well, it looks good, and its author … knows what he’s talking about' - Journal of Society of Archivists Synopsis:Research into Caribbean ancestry is a relatively new and much neglected area of study in the U.K. This revised illustrated guide introduces researchers to the main sources available at The National Archives and elsewhere, including electoral and tax returns, land grants, colonial civil servants, the West Indian regiments and the Slave Compensation Commission. This is the only title currently available which brings together the wide range of sources available to researchers of Caribbean ancestry. It includes details of recent accessions to The National Archives, in particular relating to the First World War military service records, the British West Indies Regiment and records of service for the merchant navy. It has been updated to include all the administrative changes at The National Archives since publication of the first edition and information about The National Archives' online services. Contents: First Steps Who are the West Indians? Starting your research, & slave ancestors Records of the Colonial Office Correspondence, Entry Books, Acts, Sessional Papers & Government Gazettes Migration to the West Indies Emigration records, Indentured servants, transportation, Slave Trade, Liberated Africans, East Indians & American loyalists Life Cycle Records Records of birth, marriage, & death, censuses & wills Land and Property Records Land grants, maps, plans & plantation records Military and Related Records Army, Navy, Dockyards, Royal Marines, RAF, Merchant Navy Slaves Slavery, Slave Registers, the Slave Compensation Commission & other records The Colonial Civil Servant Migration from the West Indies Migration to the UK & Caribbean migration outside the UK British West Indies Resources Anguilla, Antigua, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize (British Honduras), Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana (British Guiana), Jamaica, Montserrat, Nevis, St Christopher (St Kitts), St Lucia, St Vincent, Tobago, Trinidad, and the Turks and Caicos Islands Records of the Non-British West Indies Cuba, Denmark, Dominican Republic (Santo Domingo), France, Haiti (Saint-Domingue), Honduras, Netherlands, Panama, Spain, Sweden and the USA Useful Addresses, Bibliography, Index Author:Guy Grannum is Knowledge Systems Manager at the Public Record Office. A keen family historian, he has been researching his Barbadian roots for thirteen years.' Other stuff on Nat Archives site might also help. I just put 'West Indies slaves' into the search box on the home page. www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/bookshop/title_show.asp?title_id=88&j=1

Deb

Deb Report 22 Aug 2006 23:35

Thanks Nell, Better check the bank account!!! Deb

Deb

Deb Report 23 Aug 2006 11:49

I didn't want to say anything but I am gald that last post was deleted.....It was abit bad taste...

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 23 Aug 2006 12:07

Yes, very, thank goodness it's gone.

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 23 Aug 2006 12:28

In total agreement with you ladies, think it's why the post went quiet. How you getting on with it now Debs?

Deb

Deb Report 23 Aug 2006 12:41

Well, I'm know nearer to finding the truth!! I thought it would be best to go over agian what I DO know... If it is true that his father (master) came to England and died here then his burial would be here somewhere....The first place assossciated with Samuel was Rogate,Sussex. He married his first wife Charlotte Pratt there in 1809...Maybe I should search their burials?? Another intereting fact about Samuel was that he could write?? I have not seen it myself but a local historian from Alton,Hampshire has a document that belonged to the Baverstocks (Samuel was there Butler) and it has his signiture on it.....Would a slave have been able to write?? Also, Samuel had a headstone erected by public subscription in 1828...Why?? I have so many questions and no answers!!!

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 23 Aug 2006 12:44

Sounds to me like you could do with at least a couple of days in the record offices down there. Do you live anywhere near there? Fascinating story - it'll be good to find the truth!

Deb

Deb Report 23 Aug 2006 12:50

I live in Lambeth, London. Not a million miles away I know but I will be back at work next week and I also have a 7 year old to think of.....I think that poor boy of mine has seen to many RO's already!!!! Deb

Deb

Deb Report 23 Aug 2006 13:52

Just want to nudge in case anyone has any more tips.

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 23 Aug 2006 14:37

Caribbean - MigrationHowever, if you have African forebears you cannot assume that they had been slaves: many Africans freely migrated to the West Indies from the 1830s: ... (www.)movinghere.org.(uk)/galleries/roots/caribbean/slaves/slaves.htm - 23k - Cached - Similar pages remove brackets Timeline: Cuba and the Caribbean

Val wish I'd never started Report 23 Aug 2006 14:40

if you google West Indies Slaves to the UK there are quite a few sites

Deb

Deb Report 23 Aug 2006 14:46

Hi Val, I looked at that earlier but it does say they moved freely from 1830. Samuel was in England by 1809?? Deb P.s did you contact Lambeth Archives??

Val wish I'd never started Report 23 Aug 2006 14:59

yes thanks they were quite helpful and going to let me know . What was Samuels last name ??

Val wish I'd never started Report 23 Aug 2006 15:02

dont know if you have seen this William Ewart Gladstone (1809-1898)His father was a West Indian slave-owner and Gladstone defended him against ... Just before she appointed Gladstone, Victoria wrote to Sir Henry Ponsonby ... (www.)historyhome.(co.uk)/pms/gladston.htm - 27k - Cached - Similar pages Community History

Deb

Deb Report 23 Aug 2006 15:09

Hi Val His name was Samuel Emo or Amo early records show AMO and later ones the name changed to EMO and he was born c1782.... Deb

Deb

Deb Report 23 Aug 2006 15:16

I just thought I would post this as this is what has caused my sudden interest in the Slave trade!!! This was from last nights live web chat..... Deb N - 22/08/2006 21:04:59 I have an ancestor that from his date of death I know was born about 1782. The problem is where though. There are stories about this man that say he was from the West Indies but not sure if they are true. I do know that there doesn't seem to be any births of anyone with his surname of EMO (Amo)in england at this time and all the people of that surname since are descendents of him. Any ideas? Deb Answer It's not an English surname so you;re probably right about the West Indies. Many resources are listed at www.cyndislist.com: I hate to be negative, but if he was, as he sounds, black or mixed race, it's not likely you'll find him. Sources for black slaves that could possibly mention him, if he started off as one, include the lists of slaves on plantations at the National Archives, Kew - but he's likely to be a bit of a needle in a haystack.

Debra

Debra Report 28 Feb 2009 07:03

Here is a good site if you have a general idea of the timeline you want to search in - http://www.vc.id.au/edg/ I believe the Suriname govt has or is working on translating documents and putting them online in English.

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 28 Feb 2009 10:28

Debra.
It is best if you contact Deb N direct since her message is 2 1/2 years old she might not be looking and miss your reply