Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I need a mental massage

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Philip

Philip Report 24 Aug 2006 08:22

Tic....

Philip

Philip Report 24 Aug 2006 08:23

I ordered a birth cert for my Ggrandad and it arrived today. Somehow when I ordered it I thought it was the right one but looking at the BMD's today there's a dozen that could be him. How do I get a definate year of birth for him? By ordering my Grandads birth cert or marriage cert? That would work IF I could find those records to order the certs! Info is Grandad William Roy Gilbert b. 15 Sept 1929 Father William Robert Gilbert b. about 1900 essex? Hilda Maud Williams b. 1904 Bethnal Green. I got this info from my uncle but haven't learned of his sources so I only know that my Grandads info is definately accurate. Help before my brain explodes Helen

Judith

Judith Report 24 Aug 2006 08:32

Its always best to start with most recent events, and with what you are most certain of so Yes, I would look for grandad's birth cert. first to confirm parents names, then their marriage cert to find age at marriage and their father's names. As long as gt grandad didn't lie about his age this should narrow down his year of birth and give a checking point of his father's name.

Irene

Irene Report 24 Aug 2006 08:34

If one of these people died after 1984 you may get their dob from Ancestry. Regards Irene

Georgina

Georgina Report 24 Aug 2006 08:40

Philip there is no birth entry for a William Roy Gilbert in the last 2 quarters of 1929 are you sure of his birth year? Georgina.

Gwen

Gwen Report 24 Aug 2006 08:42

Found this on Death Ancestry could this be the one Gwen William Roy Gilbert Birth Date: 15 Sep 1926 Death Registration Month/Year: Nov 2001 Age at death (estimated): 75 Registration District: Southend On Sea Inferred County: Essex Register Number: D11C Entry number: 38

Philip

Philip Report 24 Aug 2006 08:45

ooh I goofed. That is his death in 2001 (Still brings tears to my eyes) So he was born 1926

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 24 Aug 2006 08:47

... and this is the ref for his birth cert (registered in the Oct-Nov-Dec quarter of 1926): Births, Dec 1926 Gilbert, William R, (Williams), W Ham, 4a, 90 Richard

Gwen

Gwen Report 24 Aug 2006 08:51

Could this be Hilda Gwen Hilda Maud Williams Year of Registration: 1904 Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun District: Bethnal Green County: Greater London, London, Middlesex Volume: 1c Page: 193 (click to see others on page)

Gwen

Gwen Report 24 Aug 2006 08:56

Who did Hilda marry. Gwen

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 24 Aug 2006 09:09

Marriages, Sep 1925 Gilbert, William R, Williams, W Ham, 4a, 713 Williams, Hilda M, Gilbert, W Ham, 4a, 713 Richard :)

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 24 Aug 2006 09:13

Gt-grandad's birth: Name: William Robert Gilbert Year of Registration: 1903 Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun District: West Ham County: Essex, Greater London Volume: 4a Page: 7

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 24 Aug 2006 09:18

gt-grandma's death (and date of birth): Name: Hilda Maud Gilbert Birth Date: 17 Mar 1904 Death Registration Month/Year: Jan 1995 Age at death (estimated): 90 Registration District: Southend On Sea Inferred County: Essex Register Number: D68B Entry number: 205

Philip

Philip Report 24 Aug 2006 09:39

wow I called my g'ma and came back to some great info. that last one.... hilda maud's death made me realise she was 'Gran' who we used to visit... i had clean forgotten! Thanks so much everyone :)

David

David Report 24 Aug 2006 11:06

Phillip All that good information above that others have been good enough to search for, was all available to you. You could have found it all yourself! Do you not understand how to use your computer to search the online records?

Philip

Philip Report 24 Aug 2006 11:13

David I think that is rather rude of you, I did a lot of searching and trying to figure it out before I asked for help. Yes I know how to use a computer but i'm fairly new to genealogy and I'm still learning how to utilise the functions available to get the results I need. I do apologise for this but one must learn somewhere!

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 24 Aug 2006 11:25

Helen - it's no problem really - and in fact, some of that info (the post-1983 deaths) is only available via Ancestry subscription, which you may not have. Most of us on here recognise that someone who is only back to their grandparents is relatively new to the hobby, and are more than willing to help get you started. Cheers, Richard

Philip

Philip Report 24 Aug 2006 11:31

Thankyou Richard :) I do have the Ancestry sub but I still don't realise half the stuff I can do with it as I only joined a short while ago. For example I have been using freeBMD and didn't even realise Ancestry had it too.

David

David Report 24 Aug 2006 13:14

Phillip It was not my intention to be rude. You rightly say that you have to learn somewhere... So what you need to do now (using your Ancestry search facilities) is to prove to yourself that all the above provided data is indeed correct. Then by buying the relevant certificates, you will be able to move your records gradually backwards in time. With a bit of fortune you should be able to find your 16 gt gt grandparents. Good luck.