Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A lost or non existent marriage...please help!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mandy

Mandy Report 27 Aug 2006 15:40

In a sec....

Mandy

Mandy Report 27 Aug 2006 15:46

I'm helping out a very dear partner-in-genealogy-crime! We have a missing marriage, but not sure whether it's missing, or indeed, non existent as they sometimes are! John Phipps born Whetstone Leicester c 1855 married Rebecca Clarke Cosby Leicester c 1854 The Census of 1881 says they were in a married state (I know, I know, not always the case!) BUT we can't find any marriage registration for them! Please find more information below: Census 1881 their children were John Henry Phipps 1878 Florence M Phipps 1880 both born Cosby. 1891 Name: John Phipps Age: 36 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1855 Relation: Head Spouses's Name: Rebecca Gender: Male Where Born: Whitstone, Leicestershire, England Civil parish: Wigston Magna Ecclesiastical parish: Wigston Magna Town: Wigston Magna County/Island: Leicestershire Country: England Household Members: Name Age John Phipps 36 John H Phipps 13 Leon R Phipps 1 Rebecca Phipps 37 William T Phipps 4 (Florence is visiting elsewhere and has been found safe and well!) 1901 John Phipps Age: 46 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1855 Relation: Head Spouses's Name: Rebecca Gender: Male Where born: Lestershire, Whitstone Civil parish: Wigston Magna Ecclesiastical parish: Glenn Parva and South Wigston St Thomas the Apostle Town: Wigston Magna County/Island: Leicestershire Country: England Registration district: Blaby Sub-registration district: Wigston ED, institution, or vessel: 13 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 153 Household Members: Name Age Mary Ann Bent 22 Ada R Phillips 16 Beatrice Phillips 6 George H Phillips 9 James R Phillips 11 William T Phillips 14 Florence M Phipps 21 John Phipps 46 John H Phipps 23 Mary A Phipps 18 Rebecca Phipps 47 So to reiterate, we're after a marriage between John Phipps and Rebecca Clarke. Just to note however, that on the second page of the 1901 census, their name is Phillips instead of Phipps, and obviously, there's the Clark/Clarke issue which may have confused too. Is anyone willing to take on the challenge? Many many thanks in anticipation Mandy

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Aug 2006 15:49

Where have you looked so far for a marriage?

Mandy

Mandy Report 27 Aug 2006 15:54

Thanks guys... I'm trying to find out where my friend has already looked, but I grew too impatient! I have looked on 1871, but not being totally au fait with the family, I'm not that sure that I'm looking in teh right place. There is one born in Whetstone living with parents, but 7 years out. I do wish I was more patient. Thanks guys

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 27 Aug 2006 15:59

The chap in '71 with the 7 year difference 1871 England Census Record about John Phipps Name: John Phipps Age: 23 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1848 Relation: Son Father's name: William Mother's name: Ann Gender: Male Where born: Whetstone, Leicestershire, England Civil Parish: Whetstone Town: Whetstone County/Island: Leicestershire Country: England Registration district: Blaby Sub-registration district: Enderby ED, institution, or vessel: 2 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 99 Household Members: Name Age Amos E Phipps 14 Ann Phipps 55 Arthur Phipps 18 John Phipps 23 Selina J Phipps 11 William Phipps 59 William Phipps 25 Occupation is bricklayer,and all the children are ercorded as unmarried Glen

Mandy

Mandy Report 27 Aug 2006 15:59

Ok, to update.... She has looked on Ancestry for Marriage and found 3 Rebecca Clarkes, none of which connect to John Phipps. They were both single in 1871, although it's hard to find whether they are the correct ones with these names!

Mandy

Mandy Report 27 Aug 2006 16:03

Thanks Glen...that's the one I found too, but apparently it probably isn't that one. Looby, do you have experience of the 'unattached' marriages? I've noticed before where partners are missing and not sure how it works!

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 27 Aug 2006 16:03

Re the district of marriage The 7a district covers parts of Leicestershire and Lincolnshire,sometimes the places can seem quite a tangled mess especially villages close to the county boundaries. Glen

Mandy

Mandy Report 27 Aug 2006 16:06

Glen, I don't think I used the correct terminology there! I meant, that Looby Loo found a marriage for John, but not a wife named! (Rather than a location difference) I don't know how far Barrow on Soar is from Whetstone etc, but I know it's in the right county at least!

Mandy

Mandy Report 27 Aug 2006 16:08

Thinking about it, the one from b1848 looks more and more likely, as he was a bricklayer too.... hmmm

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 27 Aug 2006 16:13

I just confused things a little with the district reference,whaat i was meaning to say is that the 7a district spans a large area,and also crosses into two counties,(with a lot of subdistricts). Just looking at the 1861 to see what that says. Glen

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 27 Aug 2006 16:17

Looks like the same John Phipps in 1861,dad is a bricklayer,John is bricklayers labourer 1861 England Census Record about John Phipps Name: John Phipps Age: 13 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1848 Relation: Son Father's name: William Mother's name: Ann Gender: Male Where born: Whetstone, Leicestershire, England Civil parish: Whetstone Town: Whetstone County/Island: Leicestershire Country: England Registration district: Blaby Sub-registration district: Enderby ED, institution, or vessel: 2 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 71 Household Members: Name Age Amos Ernest Phipps 4 Ann Phipps 45 Ann Phipps 17 Arthur Enos Phipps 8 James Phipps 22 John Phipps 13 Joseph Phipps 19 Selina Phipps 1 Thomas Phipps 10 William Phipps 49 William Phipps 15 -------- Just to muddy the waters further there is another Phipps family living in Barrow in 1871,but there is no son caled John recorded in the household. Glen

Mandy

Mandy Report 27 Aug 2006 16:24

Thanks again Glen....have sent all this info over to Belgium where she lives! I have to go out to a BBQ now, but will return to the thread in the morning/afternoon, whenever the alcohol subsides, whichever is sooner! Thanks to all who helped!

Mandy

Mandy Report 28 Aug 2006 00:22

I think my friend is having some vague success on rootsweb, but all other suggestions still welcome!

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 28 Aug 2006 00:29

Just had another look at births, There are three possibles from the mid 1840's to 1850 for Leicester,Blaby and Barrow (these are just via freebmd so there may be more) Not that it helps much i know, Glen

Mandy

Mandy Report 28 Aug 2006 00:33

Glen, you are oh too dedicated! I apologise I can't reply directly now, but please post what you have, and I'll forward to Belgium and see what happens! Thank you Mandy (worse for wear after lovely BBQ!)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Aug 2006 01:03

May be easier to look for an earlier marriage to one or other of them, then the death of that spouse!! My g grandparents married after 9 children and 24 years of being together. G Grandad's wife was in an asylum - and it was illegal to divorce an incarcerated spouse (and very expensive to divorce anyway), so they wed when she died. G Grandma used his name, all the children had his name, they were to all intent and purpose married. The 10th child was legally legitimate ;0) maggie

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 28 Aug 2006 02:33

Think I found it: Marriages Sep 1875 Beeby John Phipps Blaby 7a 68 CLARKE Rebecca Blaby 7a 68 Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 28 Aug 2006 02:49

His birth and then his mother married later: Births Sep 1854 Phipps John Blaby 7a 36 Marriages Mar 1855 BEEBY Robert Blaby 7a 66 PHIPPS Eliza Blaby 7a 66 I'll let you find them on the census records. Robert was a bricklayer too. Rose

Mandy

Mandy Report 28 Aug 2006 09:58

Thanks Rose, All information duly passed on for perusal! Mandy