Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Why are some people so weird?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jennie

Jennie Report 27 Aug 2006 17:19

I've just received a message from G----- about a rellie of mine. I clicked on message and all I found was a question mark. What's that all about? There's no way I'm going to waste my time with a reply. Do people think this is a game? I've not received anything like this before, has anyone else? Jennie

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Aug 2006 17:24

Maybe they were going to add something else and pressed the send button by mistake. On the other hand, if some people weren't weird, no one would be normal! nell

Jennie

Jennie Report 27 Aug 2006 17:27

Nell Why though would he start a question with a question mark, even if he did press the send button by mistake. Also if it was a genuine contact wouldn't he have immediately sent another message. Jennie

Jennie

Jennie Report 27 Aug 2006 17:33

Jacquie Some people who know me would hardly say I'm normal (whatever that is) as I spend most of my time searching for dead people!! as we on here all do, but they just don't understand. Jennie

Philip

Philip Report 27 Aug 2006 17:33

Speak for yourself Jacqui ;) I'm anything but 'normal' lol Helen

Judith

Judith Report 27 Aug 2006 18:04

Perhaps you should answer with an exclamation mark!

♫ D☺ver Sue

♫ D☺ver Sue Report 27 Aug 2006 18:04

Maybe he received his Hot Matches and feel that he has to reply to all of them. If yours was obviously not a Hot Match and he thinks that you sent it to him he might think that YOU'RE the weird one.

Ruth

Ruth Report 27 Aug 2006 18:05

If that wasn't a mistake then they are very rude. I wouldn't bother answering if it was me.

Jennie

Jennie Report 27 Aug 2006 18:22

Ann, Judith, Sue, Ruth Thanks for your replies. I definitely didn't contact him but I found it a bit unsettling that was all and I won't be answering him. Jennie

Keptin

Keptin Report 27 Aug 2006 18:48

You could always check in your shared tree list. Bet he's given you access without even realising.! Kept.

Alan

Alan Report 27 Aug 2006 20:08

For weeks I have had this cretin email me asking to see my tree and each time I reply that I need to see some proof that we are related. This is the latest email I received with a request to see my tree ' 'reginald lloyd you is about 65 from wellington shropshire' Who is reginald lloyd???????

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 27 Aug 2006 20:13

Um...Alan, why are you bothering to reply?! Delete! OC

Jennie

Jennie Report 27 Aug 2006 21:11

Hi Kept What a brilliant idea, and yes I have access. I cannot find my rellie in his tree, though he has people with same surname in next village so probably related somehow but I still don't want to know him. Your name had me scratching my head and I thought you may be Danish or something but I said both names together and then got it!! LOL Jennie

Uncle John

Uncle John Report 27 Aug 2006 21:31

Jennie I thought of going under the name of A Round Tuitt. Or Sanders. Or indeed Trespassers W. But life is too short. J

Keptin

Keptin Report 27 Aug 2006 22:20

Most of the Hot Matches just create 'GR spam' in the inbox. I'm thinking of removing most of the names from my tree and not renewing my subscription. Jennie, You can share my name if you like. You can have the and fedshit part of it. lol.

Jennie

Jennie Report 27 Aug 2006 22:34

Kept I too get annoyed with some of the things on this site but I would miss reading the messages and all the laughs they give me so keep up with my subs. Naughty!! I think I'll pass on the name thankyou and stick to my boring one. Jennie

Christine in Yorkshire

Christine in Yorkshire Report 28 Aug 2006 00:29

I go so fed up of all the mail I have removed most of my tre but will keep my sub though. It's my online 'family' Christine:)

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 28 Aug 2006 02:12

Hi all, I think whats happening is that some of us are receiving hot matches ( Im not and havent since May this yr for some reason). Those that get them then send a message to you if they have a name match. I had one this morning that just said ( name bloggs is pretend) Father George b1843 Mother Mary nee Walker b 1844 Son George Simpson b1888 in Dewsbury Yorks That was it! I replied with: so? So what do they want? Jackie I do have those names in my tree