Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

missing children

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

joyceyh

joyceyh Report 29 Aug 2006 01:19

why would my g grandmother leave out three of her children on 1901 census ? i know she remarried when my gfather was 1yr old can anyone please tell me were i can look for were my grandfather was or could it be possible she just didnt put them on the census thanks joyce

Jennie

Jennie Report 29 Aug 2006 01:29

Hi Joyce There are several possibilites. If they are on the 1891 did any of them die before 1901? Was the 1901 census entry on the bottom of the page and the three 'missing' children are on the next page? Or if they were older could they be working away from home? Or maybe the 'missing' children were staying with another rellie, maybe their grandparents? Jennie

Richard

Richard Report 29 Aug 2006 01:37

If your getting your info from the census transcriptions at Ancestry it's worth actually viewing the image. I have had children and family members missing from the transcripted list missing that were actually there when i viewed it myself, on more than one occasion. You can also see whether they were next door! This has happened with my relatives too, visiting either grandparents, relatives or just neighbours when the census men came round. On the other hand others do just dissapear for one census or even two then reappear and I havn't a clue what happened to them in between, so your not alone, the censuses were far from perfect.

joyceyh

joyceyh Report 29 Aug 2006 01:44

hi jennie i know 2 of the children who are missing lived 1 was my gfather he died 1963 they had rare first names obadiah reavas and benes hillman

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 29 Aug 2006 02:03

Joyce, Give us the details and I'll have a look. Might find mine at the same time.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 29 Aug 2006 02:08

Is this one of the children? Births Mar 1886 HILLMAN Obadiah Liverpool 8b 111 Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 29 Aug 2006 02:09

and the other? Births Sep 1890 Hillman Bence Bradford, Y. 9b 247 He's listed as Benas on the death index. Rose

joyceyh

joyceyh Report 29 Aug 2006 02:11

yes rose thats them thank you

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 29 Aug 2006 02:15

Joyce, Can you give us the details of their parents so we can look for them in 1891 and 1901? Rose

joyceyh

joyceyh Report 29 Aug 2006 02:16

hi elizabeth thank you reavas hillman born pudsey benes hillman pudsey albert houlihull staffs esther houlihull william ? 1891 living 5 windmill hill pudsey east riding yorkshire reavas dissapears as does benes and esther 1901 living beanfort street liverpool

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 29 Aug 2006 02:18

Joyce, They are on the 1901 census in Toxteth Park. They are listed as Obediah 15, Reavas 10 , William H 24 and wife Alice 19. They are living with Robert and Fanny Powell. Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 29 Aug 2006 02:25

Where did you get the name Reavas from? That name is mentioned on the 1901 census but I assume it's a mistranscription for Bence/Benas. There's no Reavas in 1891. Rose

joyceyh

joyceyh Report 29 Aug 2006 03:02

thank you rose and ozibird so much fanny was married to george hillman fanny ran a boarding house robert powell was a lodger my gfather was born 1890 b cert says father deceased fanny marries robert powell the lodger ! 1891 and hers me thinking theres a revas and as you say possibly spelling error i thank you for your help can you solve this one ! was she dabbling with the lodger am i a hillman or a powell ! ill never know thank you again for your time joyce

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 29 Aug 2006 03:06

Joyce, I can't seem to find George's death. Do you know when he died? Rose

joyceyh

joyceyh Report 29 Aug 2006 03:12

hi rose george died 1889 aged 29 halifax

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 29 Aug 2006 03:16

Hmmm. He died Dec qtr and Benas/Bence was born Sept qtr the following year. That might be pushing it. Do you have dates for both so we can do the mathematics? Rose

joyceyh

joyceyh Report 29 Aug 2006 03:38

hi rose sorry no i always wondered why my dad would say what you doing all this for you may not like what you find i have the b cert for benas amongst all my papers but havent got d cert for george didnt want to but think i have to now what if we are powells maybe i will never know im more curious now joyce

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 29 Aug 2006 04:04

Joyce, Are you sure about that death being your George Hillman? Rose

joyceyh

joyceyh Report 29 Aug 2006 04:12

yes on benas bcert it says father deceased will have to get death cert think its the only way so he must of died within 9 mths for benas to be born ?

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 29 Aug 2006 05:04

I noticed that Benas was named after his uncle. George's sister Matilda married a Benas Watson Hartley. I think Benas Hillman must have have been George's son. Seems unlikely Fanny would name him after that side of the family if he were really Robert Powell's son. What do you think? Marriages Mar 1883 HARTLEY Benas Watson Bradford, Y 9b 110 HILLMAN Matilda Bradford,Y. 9b 110 Rose