Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fed up after such a good day yesterday

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Laura The Explorer

Laura The Explorer Report 5 Sep 2006 19:22

hi been lokking all day (well in between looking at the board) and I have no idea where to go next I have got a Francis Spencer 1831 born in Thurstone derby/leicester/nottingham boarder marring a Mary Ann (have no idea of surname or when and where they got married ) but I can not find him in the census not that fits anyway so I thought if I Found the marriage I could order the cert and find him that way ha going to look at another branch. And I did so well yesterday with my Clara Roper. I need more experiance at marriage/ deaths me thinks Ah well Laura

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Sep 2006 19:26

You are fed up because you can't find ONE marriage? I can't find about half a dozen. I don't know anything about husband's gt gt gt grandfather other than a name (which might not be right) on a marriage certificate. I can't find my gt gt gt grandfather on the census in 1841 even though I know he was there! I will never know if the illegitimate, unbaptised baby that died aged 7 weeks really was my gt gt grandmother's or not. I could go on and on.....

Merry

Merry Report 5 Sep 2006 19:27

Is this him? 1881: Francis SPENCER Head M Male 50 Thurlston, Derby, England General Labourer Mary SPENCER Wife M Female 47 Barton, Nottingham, England George SPENCER Son U Male 21 Hemington, Leicester, England Farm Labourer William SPENCER Son U Male 18 Hemington, Leicester, England Farm Labourer Alfred SPENCER Son U Male 11 Hemington, Leicester, England Scholar Levi SPENCER Son U Male 7 Hemington, Leicester, England Scholar John Henry SPENCER Grand Son U Male 5 Hemington, Leicester, England Scholar George Hurly SPENCER Grand Son U Male 2 Hemington, Leicester, England Merry

Merry

Merry Report 5 Sep 2006 19:30

1871: Household Members: Name Age Alfred Spencer 1 Ann Spencer 39 Eliza Spencer 4 Elizabeth Spencer 17 Frances Spencer 42 Francis Spencer 13 George Spencer 11 Mary Spencer 6 William Spencer 8 Francis is born same place, but Mary is now ann and born in Hemington. May be the same person, or may not be! Merry

Merry

Merry Report 5 Sep 2006 19:33

Maybe she is the same person?? Back to Mary in 1861: Household Members: Name Age Elizabeth Spencer 7 Francis Spencer 30 Francis Spencer 2 George Spencer 8 Mary Spencer 28 Sarah Ann Spencer 5 Merry

Laura The Explorer

Laura The Explorer Report 5 Sep 2006 19:35

hi yes thats him found everything when he was married to her but nothing before not that fits anyway no not just because of one marriage but because I have days like yesterday where other than the marriage I found the whole family back and forth from the marriage of the groom but today I hit nothing but walls. And it just deflates me again gggrrrr Poured my self a large glass of wine to help me Laura

Merry

Merry Report 5 Sep 2006 19:36

In 1851 Francis is married and aged 19, but his wife isn't there :o(( Frances Spencer abt 1832 Thuleton, Derbyshire, England Lockington Leicestershire Household Members: Name Age William Hurt 36 John Kilham 28 Richard Kilham 24 William Kilham 68 William Kilham 26 Mary Ann Norton 19 Frances Spencer 19 Merry

Merry

Merry Report 5 Sep 2006 19:38

This seems a bit early....I wonder if he was really already married in 1851? Marriages Jun 1848 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ALTHORP Sarah Atherstone 16 301 ALTHORPE Sarah Atherstone 16 301 GRUNOUGH Hannah Atherstone 16 301 Hardy Mary Ann Atherstone 16 301 Marnder John Atherstone 16 301 Motham John Atherstone 16 301 Mottram Ann Atherstone 16 301 Spencer Francis Atherstone 16 301 Suffolk Richard Atherstone 16 301 Merry

Merry

Merry Report 5 Sep 2006 19:40

Hmmm....1841 all those in Leic were born there and none in Derby! Merry

Laura The Explorer

Laura The Explorer Report 5 Sep 2006 19:40

see what I mean things do not match with him aaarrrggghhhh Laura do you think he could of fibed a little

Merry

Merry Report 5 Sep 2006 19:41

oops, missed your post before!! When you said you couldn't find him in the census I thought you meant at all! Merry

Merry

Merry Report 5 Sep 2006 19:42

You will need to get a cert for one of the children. Merry

Laura The Explorer

Laura The Explorer Report 5 Sep 2006 19:50

yes I thought that but it will not tell me who his father is I have all mothers info but if I had a marriage which I cant find either today will look again tommorrow thanks for that Laura sorry looked ot what I put last night did not mean mother meant Elizabeth

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC)

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 6 Sep 2006 01:25

Greeting’s Laura…… If you go back one page from the one Merry found for you 1851. Census returns for Lockington ( next Village to Hemington ) HO 107/ 2140. / 87. / Page. 9. Keyword = North. There is a ANN North Servant. Unmar. 17. Dairymaid Born BARTON Nottinghamshire. Within the household of Ann Rose 62 Widow. Farmer Ann North Christening details :- Ann North. 8th. September. 1833. St. George Parish Church Barton in Fabis. Father :- Samuel North. Mother :-Anne. This year Matches those for the Census returns = 1833. ? So..is this your Marry / Ann. Wife to Francis Spencer ? Not found a Marriage YET …. But asked the help of a colleague on another site……. Spencer Burials found :- Village. / Names. / Dates. / Ages. / Notes. LOCKINGTON & HEMINGTON Spencer William 13 Jul 1828 89 Abode Hemington Spencer Hannah 15 Apr 1837 63 Abode Hemington Spencer Len 08 Sept 1872 Inf Abode Hemington Spencer Elisa 25 Jun 1883 16 Abode Hemington MIKE. UPDATED :- Christening details for Siblings of Francis & Mary Spencer. for St. Nicholas Parish Church Lockington Leicestershire.:- Elizabeth Spencer 4th. January 1854. Sarah Ann Spencer. 1st. July. 1856. Francis Spencer. 22nd August. 1858. William Spencer. 17th. January. 1864. Mary Spencer. 20th. June. 1865. Could not find the one for George …sorry.

UrbanGirl

UrbanGirl Report 6 Sep 2006 05:24

Hi Laura, do you think the Mary Ann Norton in the 1851 census with him could be the wife? I have had a wife listed on a census with her husband but for some reason she was put under her maiden name. LOuisa

Andrew

Andrew Report 6 Sep 2006 05:42

If you get one of the children's birth certificates, you might find that the father is given with an alternative surname. Eg, 'John Smith, formerly Bloggs'. You never know!

Laura The Explorer

Laura The Explorer Report 6 Sep 2006 10:07

wow thanks all for the help I got a littel down yesterday but this info will keepp me busy today thanks again very much appreciated Laura

Laura The Explorer

Laura The Explorer Report 6 Sep 2006 10:09

wow thanks all for the help I got a littel down yesterday but this info will keepp me busy today thanks again very much appreciated Laura Mike what site did you look at I couldnt find them on IGI so I guess you found them else where