Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Claude Hodgson - Thornton, West Yorks Help!!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah

Sarah Report 15 Sep 2006 22:28

Can anyone give me any information of a Claude Hodgson from Thornton, West Yorks. I believe he is buried at Thornton church. I think he died in WW1 He fought in ww1 so may be about 12-18 yrs old in 1901 Any help or info would be great!! thanks

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Sep 2006 22:30

You need to give a bit more information. Is he still alive? When was he born? What information are you looking for? Kath. x

Jim The Ferret

Jim The Ferret Report 15 Sep 2006 22:30

Any dates - even rough? Jim

Sarah

Sarah Report 15 Sep 2006 22:35

Would this be enough info to make a start with? Thanks Sarah

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Sep 2006 22:37

This one is in a boarding school in 1901 Name: Claude Hodgson Age: 13 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1888 Relation: Boarder Gender: Male Where born: Burnley, Yorkshire, England (S/be Beverley, I think) Civil parish: Cheam Ecclesiastical parish: St Dunstan County/Island: Surrey Country: England Registration district: Epsom Sub-registration district: Carshalton ED, institution, or vessel: 19 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 216 Manor House School Reg

Jim The Ferret

Jim The Ferret Report 15 Sep 2006 22:40

No mention on CWGC site. Which Thornton, there are 13 in UK. Jim

Sarah

Sarah Report 15 Sep 2006 22:41

thornton, bradford, west yorks thanks

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Sep 2006 22:42

Same one in 1891 Claude Hodgson Richard, Catherine M abt 1886 Beverley, Yorkshire, England Son St Mary Yorkshire The complete household............. Lavinia Barley 27 Emily Batty 19 Edith A Bentley 15 Annie E Falkingham 19 Joseph Greaseley 14 Catherine M Hodgson 28 Claude Hodgson 5 Gwendoline M Hodgson 1 Harold I Hodgson 3 Richard Hodgson 38 Richard Hodgson 7 Rachel Hood 24 Sarah I Pinchbeck 30 Hilda Francis Studley 21 Mildred K Studley 19 Reg

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Sep 2006 22:43

Can't see anyone of the name in the Bradford vicinity.............. Reg

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Sep 2006 22:43

The only Claude Hodgson, born Yorkshire, that I can find in the 1901 census is aged 13 and is at Manor House School, Cheam, Surrey. It gives his birthplace as Burnley, Yorkshire. Kath. x

Sarah

Sarah Report 15 Sep 2006 22:49

Are you able to searh for any Hodgson's in Thornton, Bradford WYorks or do I need to give a first name? Thanks

Sarah

Sarah Report 15 Sep 2006 22:53

I'm not sure if it is, I know he was brought up in west yorks so the Burnley connection as place of birth fits, but i've never heard anything about boarding school so I dont know. Sorry!

Uncle John

Uncle John Report 15 Sep 2006 22:59

Sarah You haven't given your little helpers any feedback on whether they've hit the jackpot for you. They've found some likely families in the censuses and some Claudes at posh schools. Cheam School was where Prince Charles went.

Sarah

Sarah Report 15 Sep 2006 23:01

If I've worked it out correctly, Claude is my Great Grandads nephew(I think). I know of the connection through my Mum as she visited Claude's Mum in the 70's when she was a very old lady but my Mum cannot remeber her name. My Dad wont tell me as he doesn't approve - too many skeletons and closets etc I know there is a connectin somewhere I just can't find it! Only been doing this 24hrs!!! I'm hooked!!

Sarah

Sarah Report 15 Sep 2006 23:03

Sorry for not giving much feedback on the info provided, I'm just trying to jot it all down and see if I can link anything up. My trouble is I only have a name and place and not much else, but I do really appreciate all the help you guys are giving!! I'm only a newbie!! Sarah

Sarah

Sarah Report 15 Sep 2006 23:10

My Great Grandad is Charles W Hodgson born 1886 Lund Nr Beverley East Yorkshire. Charles' father was called Thomas born same place in 1863 Sarah

Sarah

Sarah Report 15 Sep 2006 23:26

yes that is the right family! There are some more brothers but they were not born but are on 1901 census

Sarah

Sarah Report 15 Sep 2006 23:33

Charles did go to WW1, my Mum found some old letters from My great grandma (Doll) to her husband Charles. There are 3 altogether all dated 1915. I was really suprised when my Mum gave them to me only yesterday as I just started this and she thought they would help!! Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

Sarah

Sarah Report 15 Sep 2006 23:41

Just one more thing while I have you - i'm so cheeky!! If I wanted to find details of my Grandma's marriage could you help? Kitty Hodgson Born Circa 1923 Lund Nr BEVERLY EYORKS Married a man named Haldenby. I dont have first name pob, dob for this guy. May also have been a previous marriage as Haldenby adopted Kitty's eldest daughter but she may have been illigitimate i'm not sure - this is where my whole problem comes in with my Dad, it's almost as if they dont want me to know who my real grandad is?!?!?!

Sarah

Sarah Report 15 Sep 2006 23:48

erm... No! is that ancestry dottuuss coos dotuus ukay?