Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can Someone Explain This To Me?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Daniel

Daniel Report 1 Oct 2006 19:24

At the moment i'm researching my Grandfathers side of the family, and with his last name being Taylor I knew it wasn't going to be easy. I've managed to track down his Grandfather who was George Taylor born 1873 and his wife Lousia Heaton, who were living together in 1901 and also George's mother Mary who was down as widowed and living with them, but as I go through the 1891, 1881, 1871census she is still widowed, however there is still children being born. What is going on? Anyone help?

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 1 Oct 2006 19:26

At last.... a really interesting question. Well, I'm stumped. Let me get back to this one.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Oct 2006 19:28

well if they were hers she was still entitled to register them in her married name cos that was her current name . getting one of the certs may put some light on it

Daniel

Daniel Report 1 Oct 2006 19:40

I am going to get George Taylor's birth and marriage certificate, but I just hate waiting for them. but they should explain something

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Oct 2006 19:50

One of the childrens birth certs would help too cos then you can see if Mary was the mum altho she was widowed!!

Daniel

Daniel Report 1 Oct 2006 19:56

i'm beginning to think that maybe she slept about a bit but i think i'll have to get a certificate

Kim

Kim Report 1 Oct 2006 20:10

Daniel if you look at the 1881 census she is housekeeper to John Robinson if I have the right Mary Taylor , I have one like this and the children were all his , Mine married the housekeepr r after the first 4 children though! If its not her then the certificates may help , or the parish records may note the father if the birth certs don't Kim

Daniel

Daniel Report 1 Oct 2006 20:13

thanks kim i had noticed that but i didn't take much notice of it to be honest.

Kim

Kim Report 1 Oct 2006 20:27

Err Daniel I hate to say this but can you look at 1871 , she is a 'Common Lodging House Keeper ' And 2 of her lodgers are err um 'Prostitutes' and John Robinson is a Boarder in her house..... Nuff said Kim

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 1 Oct 2006 20:35

hey! thats better than an AG LAB lol Swapsies? ;-))

Joan

Joan Report 1 Oct 2006 20:36

Daniel, don't be harsh on her. I have a similar situation where although still married, my rellie never seemed to live with her husband who seemimgly had run away and married again !!!!! Because she wasn't widowed or divorced, OR living with the husband the 'fathers name' on the next 5 children's birth certificates was missing although the lodger at the time was the father. Are you still with me ? Then 46 years later they are buried together. All say Ahhhhh. Sweet but sad story. Joan

Daniel

Daniel Report 1 Oct 2006 20:38

Hang on so she was a prostitue? is that what a common lodging house keeper is? so basically all the children will have had different fathers?! this is just typical for this side of my family, they were from a VERY rough background.

Kim

Kim Report 1 Oct 2006 20:38

But were her lodgers listed as Prostitiutes on the census Joan?? Not necessarily a prostitute she could have just run an 'unruly house!' I would imagine John Robinson the Carpet Weaver could have something to do with it!! Don't worry I have an ancestor with about 8 illegitimate children and the only man around seems to be her own father, unless she slept with the neighbours, the parish records state 'single Woman ' each time..... Have fun! it what makes it interesting! Kim

Daniel

Daniel Report 1 Oct 2006 20:44

She was with him in 1881 and i can't read the condition to marriage but relation to head of house is house keeper? but she is with john robinson as she was 10 years earlier. this is quite interesting, as her grandsons marriage certificate in 1933 has a john william robinson on. so was she a prostitue or was john robinson the father and the children were born out of wedlock?

Daniel

Daniel Report 1 Oct 2006 20:49

i can't find them on 1861 or 1851 census, did anyone look?

Kim

Kim Report 1 Oct 2006 22:07

I would say strong likely hood the John Robinson is father as he seems to be a constant, however she had a lot of children and he may not be the father of all of them .. Then again who knows ... without further certs we are all guessing, certainly can't find a Mister Taylor ! Will have a hunt on the 1851/61 Kim

Kim

Kim Report 1 Oct 2006 22:24

In 1861 John Robinson, Carpet weaver is in Liversedge ref rg9 3405 folio 51 p 46 Still looking for Mary , probably havent met yet as youngest child not yet borne. Kim

Ellen

Ellen Report 2 Oct 2006 07:10

Does it really say prostitute? COOL! Makes a change from laundress or dressmaker, tell it like it is. Ellen X

Jeannie

Jeannie Report 2 Oct 2006 07:49

hi daniel, just read all messages,what a story, its wonderful real life, better than (who do you think you are) it brings our ancestors to life, good luck jean