Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Should I spend the money? or is it probably wrong?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Selena in South East London

Selena in South East London Report 4 Oct 2006 14:57

Found a possible death but in the wrong area..... see below. Selena

Selena in South East London Report 4 Oct 2006 14:58

Have been looking for the Birth of Charles Bateman 1865-1868 Deptford And his death, approx 1928 Greenwich. Charles is on all censuses (possibly mistranscribed in 81). He pretty much always lived in Deptford/Greenwich or very nearby. I can’t find his birth but I have found his siblings births. I have his marriage cert. The nearest I can find for a death is Stepney Oct 1930 age 64. Don’t want to waste my money – should I order this? Can't imagine why he would be in Stepney. Just popping out to get kids from school if I don’t answer straight away. Thanks for any help Selena

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 4 Oct 2006 15:03

Not that it is much help Selina, but sometimes we have to bite the bullet. i have been quite lucky so far and only have ordered three wrong certs. Still, it hurts when you throw £7 up the wall. Kathlyn

Kate

Kate Report 4 Oct 2006 15:07

Don't forget that the death would be registered in the district where it happened, so if he died suddenly while out for the day, or if he was in a hospital in another district from where he lived, the death could be registered in a different district from the one you are expecting. Kate.

Patricia

Patricia Report 4 Oct 2006 15:08

I think you should hold on, after reading your plea i think you are convinced it is not him, there are a lot of people that will assist and give you surgestions, i will have a look my self, put him on the back burner for now. regards pat

Patricia

Patricia Report 4 Oct 2006 15:33

Sorry i will have to pass this on to someone else, I dont know the areas in London so it is proving non productive, good luck. pat

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 4 Oct 2006 15:45

Selena I have learnt never to assume a place of death. I have a GGGrandmother who as far as I knew was born and spent her life in South London, Brixton.......She died in the 'Cancer Hospital' in Chelsea, north of the river. That was in 1897. Chris

Selena in South East London Report 4 Oct 2006 15:51

Thanks all for the comments. Pat you do know how I feel! Chris - I think I will purchase the certificate - just in case, otherwise it will be bugging me. Thanks Selena

Trudy

Trudy Report 4 Oct 2006 15:55

Selena - the call is yours but - my great grandfather lived all his life in St Neots, Beds, but was transferred to the 'big' hospital before his death so is registered in Newmarket and my Mum lived and worked in High Wycombe, but was transferred to the John Radcliffe hospital in Oxford, so her death is registered in Oxford the answer - never assume - sometimes you just have to take a flyer!!!!!! regards Looby

Patricia

Patricia Report 4 Oct 2006 15:59

All i can say is good luck, it is a 50/50 chance in betting the odds are good. But i can tell your gut feeling is it is the wrong one, if you can afford the £7 go for it, let us know how you get on.

Joe ex Bexleyheath

Joe ex Bexleyheath Report 4 Oct 2006 16:03

Selina, You are right there doesn't apperar to be a birth registered in the period you gave. I take it that you are basing your search on the 1871 Census ?? It is strange that there is a brother Richard and his birth is not reg either Why you should even believe that the Charles death is your one I have no idea as tyhere were several other Charles born in the surrounding area Islington, Hackney, Poplar, ...... Have you got the marriage cert of your Charles ?? do you know the name of the father ?? or husband of the mother of Charles - Frances I think. ??

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Oct 2006 16:11

Where someone has lived isn't necessarily where the death is registered.......they could, for instance, be transferred to a hospital in another area for specific care...and die whilst in that place. My grandmother lived from the age of 20 in Lancs............her death, aged 93, was in Derbyshire! Reg

Selena in South East London Report 4 Oct 2006 16:30

Having a dilemma now! There's always other ancestors certs to buy, especially marriage and birth (more useful). I've got Charles marriage - 1888 I've got his brothers birth - may 1865 I've got his parents marriage 1859 I've got his dad's & sisters deaths in 1870 I know the death info for his wife in Mar 1943 He's my gt grandad. All mum knows is that he was a dustman and smoked a pipe - great help! Wish I could have made the meet - if I'm passing the Anchor I poke my head round the door - hope you have a good time, Selena

Janet

Janet Report 4 Oct 2006 16:31

It seems pointless buying a Death Cert unless you have the Birth Cert first. Always go for Marriage, Birth and then Death Cert unless you are very sure of the date and place of death. Occasionally you can bite the bullet, if you have enough info, but most times you will be disappointed. If the person signing the death cert is not family and the death registration is in another area, how will you know you have the correct cert even if you do purchase? I had one who died in Torquay and was buried in Northants where he came from, but the cert was signed by the person in charge of the hospital he was in. I would not have known that he was my ancestor if I had not already got his birth details and other information to corroborate what was on the Death Cert. If you are very sure of your facts you can put on the back of the form the name of person he was married to and that way you will only pay £3 if the cert is the wrong one, BUT, you will always be left wondering what if the person signing the Cert was not his widow but somebody else, and they then do not issue you with the cert at all. Its a hard decision and one I have made a few times, most times incorrect without the relevant information. Sometimes I am left wondering 'Could it have been.....' Janet

Selena in South East London Report 4 Oct 2006 16:34

Janet I know what you mean, the certificate might not help me at all. I wanted to find out where Charles was buried but I need a date and place of death to start. I can't find where his wife is buried, not where we thought in Lewisham. Greenwich council are looking for the wife burial but it might take a while. It seems daft but I wanted to visit their graves, silly old me, Selena

Janet

Janet Report 4 Oct 2006 16:40

Selena You have my sympathy as I am also looking for a death of an ancestor in the same area. So far I have 2 redundant Death Certs because there are over 20 with thae same name. I will know when I get the right one because I do have other details of her. Had not quite finished message when you replied so maybe extra info in my first message above might help a little. Janet

Selena in South East London Report 4 Oct 2006 16:47

Janet, I could at least put the wife on my request - thanks so much for the tip! Selena

Joe ex Bexleyheath

Joe ex Bexleyheath Report 4 Oct 2006 17:05

Selena I have had second thoughts - you could be right with grpa in Stepney, after all it wasn't so far to walk through the Greenwich Tunnel to Stepney area or even take the tram through the Roth Tunnel - but those things only from about 1900. With the amount of work that was in the docks at that time it was one area where he could make money though he need not have gone that far as there were the docks in Greenwich, Deptford, Surrey Docks ...... I will p m you.

Selena in South East London Report 4 Oct 2006 17:09

cheers Joe, got to pop out with kids and dog, will be back later Selena

Selena in South East London Report 13 Oct 2006 20:02

Just to give a bit of feed back to all those that kindly replied. I got the death certificate today and it was him. died in London Hosptial Whitechapel although home address was Greenwich. Informant was his wife my grt gran. Sadly died of tongue cancer. I said he was a pipe smoker! Selena