Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Spill The Dirt

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JosieByCoast

JosieByCoast Report 21 Oct 2006 16:23

I've just found something on the internet about one of my great grandmothers nephews. He kidnapped a solicitor, took their trousers off, photographed them trouserless with a dunces cap on, then put them out on the streets again trouserless. The man got a prison sentence for this act of madness. He wanted to teach the solicitor a lesson for wording his aunts will is such a complicated way that the solicitor inherited the lot. What have you found ?

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 21 Oct 2006 16:27

pmsl :-)))) i wish mine were that mad----a couple of mine were downright nasty(both gg grandmothers in fact), Karen

Rachel

Rachel Report 21 Oct 2006 16:38

my cousin twice removed was burnt to death when she was 3, her grandma had put her on the sofa whist drawing a bath and the child climbed down and knocked over the bucket od hot water, poor kid fitted from the shock of her injuries and died within 24 hours. Found a report of the inquest in the local paper.

Kate

Kate Report 21 Oct 2006 23:34

My great-great-great grandad was in prison in 1881 - the census said he was an accountant, although ten years before he was a farmer. Still haven't found out what he was there for. Also, it's not really scandal but my grandma told my mum that my great-grandfather (Grandma's father in law) was a grenadier guard outside Buckingham Palace. We've since discovered he was actually the son of a gamekeeper, with no given profession in 1901! (But only after six months of following up a completely wrong family from Sussex.) Also, my great-great grandmother had an illegitimate child then lived with another man without marrying him (or, at least, didn't register it) and then had three more children. I've found so many marriages that must have happened while the bride was pregnant, it's actually beginning to wash over me.

moe

moe Report 21 Oct 2006 23:47

after being so proud of my very long line of hard working liverpool/irish dockers, i found A CLERK!!!!!! oh the shame!!!!!...moe

Linda

Linda Report 21 Oct 2006 23:51

My Great Grandmother had three Daughters before marrying my Great Grandfather. When she married she was down as Spinster, therefore not married before. Three Birth Certificates for her Daughters, first one unmarried no fathers name, second said she was married to a George, third one said she was married to a Charles, all same surname. No marriages found. Do wish she would keep to the same story. Linda

Janet in Yorkshire

Janet in Yorkshire Report 22 Oct 2006 01:55

It's now looking very likely that I'm descended from a village bike - 6 children, but no husband; he came later, and is not the name that is given for father of the bride on the marr cert of one of the daughters. Jay

Patricia

Patricia Report 22 Oct 2006 03:55

pmsl

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 22 Oct 2006 08:28

Hi Joseanne, I found a newspaper report on an inquest 1857. It concerned the drowning of 3 year old boy. My great great grandmother then aged about 12 had taken the boy (her cousin) out for a walk in a little cart, and then decided to amuse herself swinging on a tree. When she went back for the boy he was nowhere to be found, he was found by a neighbour floating in a nearby stream. Another great great grandmother ran off with the lodger. She had 5 children at the time and had another five with the lodger. She married the lodger about 10 years later in a different county. Problem was she was still married to her first husband. Jenny

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 22 Oct 2006 12:00

Janet Join the bike club lol! My ancestors were so trollopy - but at least they saved me money, so few marriage certs to buy. OC

Lady Cutie

Lady Cutie Report 22 Oct 2006 12:46

Hi, my family are sooooo boring, noone ran off wth the family silver [not that they had any as far as i know] no murderers, no nothing that i can find any way, hazel.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Oct 2006 12:50

The most interesting this I can find about my family if that a Gt grandmother had a child before she was married which was brought up as her sister. Boring isn't it? Ann Glos

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 22 Oct 2006 21:14

My 3x great grandfather looked like an ordinary farmer until I found him in Gloucester Gaol. He was sent there for attempting to murder his wife. My poor 3x great grandmother was nearly disembowelled but survived. The trial was reported in local papers. He was eventually acquitted on the grounds of insanity! However he was kept in prison awaiting a decision on what to do. He died there in 1859 and his body was removed for burial by his friends. At his trial his wife said that one of his brothers had been mad for years.........so it runs in the family!!! :(((( Sue ps........got a 2x great granny who was one of 6 illegitimate children too.

Richard

Richard Report 22 Oct 2006 22:30

One of my great uncles has a new wife on every census, each time ten years younger than the last! He was a milkman from Bethnal Green, but his son went on to be a cabinet minister in Clement Attlees government.

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 22 Oct 2006 22:33

pmsl

Sue

Sue Report 22 Oct 2006 22:45

Josie, That is brilliant! Is he from the part of your family that I am trying to link in with. I fancy having him as a rellie. Suexx

JosieByCoast

JosieByCoast Report 23 Oct 2006 15:01

Sorry Sue he isn't from that part of the family, although he still is on my mothers side but not from the B's. The only dirt on her side so far is one of her uncles left his wife and went to Australia and married someone else and then left her went to New Zealand and married another, he never got divorced. But that is only hearsay and not so interesting.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 23 Oct 2006 15:40

GGGGrandfather finally found on the 1841 in a Prison Ship in Hampshire. That took the wind out of my mother's sails as till that revelation her lot had been particularly God fearing....No shotgun marriages ect LOL Dad's side are a bit more dodgy! GGGGGrandfather tried for the theft of a pig in 1813, 2 months in Newgate and fined 1 shilling. Went on to be a pillar of the community as a PORK Butcher and was a witness at several more trials....Pots and kettles! His own father was tried for murder in 1796 and was found not guilty....Reading the trial transcriptions I doubt he would have got away with it today! However I would still be here as GGGGGrandfather was already born LOL Chris

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 23 Oct 2006 16:25

Hi Jay, It looks as she was a tandam bike lol lol lol Kathlyn

Sprack

Sprack Report 23 Oct 2006 17:49

My G.G.Grandmother had five children and not married, three of them in the workhouse and two of them had diferent fathers listed on their marriage certs so I don't know what you would call her? and another G.G.Grandmother was illigitimate, her mother and her two sisters all had babies out of wedlock. Jenny