Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

If a baby was baptised in hospital

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 21 Oct 2006 18:33

where would the records be. Nan keeps giving out snippets of info on my dads twin sister who died at birth. Now turns out she was born alive (no birth reg can be found) and died in hospital. My gramps told nan he wanted to get her baptised but not sure if he did or not. If he did and she was in hospital where would the records be. No death record can be found either which is why we thought stillborn. Mum now writing to local Reg office wto see if they have anything, local cemetery are being as helpful as they can but can't find any burials. If he did have her baptised would be great to be able to find it.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 21 Oct 2006 18:47

Dawn Sorry to have to tell you this, but if the baby was about to die, then ANYONE could have baptised her, any member of the C of E faith that it, assuming a C of E baptism, and it may not have been recorded anywhere. But all hospitals have a Chaplain attached - suggest you contact the present Chaplain of the hospital concerned and ask him who was the Chaplain then, he might be able to help. OC

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 21 Oct 2006 18:53

OC thanks will get mum to contact them is a long shot as we dont know if he did or not just told nan as he left for the hospital he would do it.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 21 Oct 2006 19:18

Dawn Fifteen years ago next Thursday my son was baptised in hospital as he was not expected to last the night. To be honest I don't remember alot about it....Just that a kind nurse suggested it and I agreed so she arranged for the hospital Chaplain to attend in the early hours of the morning. I wasn't given any documentation but I guess if I wanted the info I could approach the hospital and they would have a record of the 'on duty' Chaplain for that date and I could then approach his Church.....As OC has suggested. My son is now here to celebrate his fifteenth birthday....Whether that was devine or medical intervention or just plain luck of the draw ...I will never know! Chris :)

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 21 Oct 2006 19:27

Chris glad he made it must of been a worrying time for you. Dad only found out 11 years ago about his twin and we are now finding bits out and every time mum finds something she trys to confirm the bits she is told. Cemetery have been great and look into all bits for her as they are intruiged why she can't be found. Hospital say they cant find records and there is no birth or death entry I can find so if there was a baptism record would be a glimmer of hope

Janet in Yorkshire

Janet in Yorkshire Report 21 Oct 2006 20:15

Dawn, I don't know about the local hospital's policy, but if you can't find anything, try checking where the surviving twin was baptised. I live in a village, which is a bit different, I know - however, until about the 1960's they were practically all home births. In the baptism register, the vicar has recorded baptisms of little babies who only survived for short periods - its says e.g ' Mary X , twin daughter of Fred and Jane X born (date) baptised by Dr P-B. Lived for 30 minutes. Other twin stillborn.' (These 2 were older siblings of a friend) There are others in the same register, and it says who bp them. Some of the entries are followed up with a note of when they were publicly received into the church, or sadly, a note of their death. Jay

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 21 Oct 2006 20:25

Janet will have to ask dad where he was baptized so mum can check They were born at home and the girl was taken to hospital by ambulance and died there dad stayed with nan at home.

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 21 Oct 2006 20:25

Sheila And they probably wouldnt register it anywhere

Georgina

Georgina Report 21 Oct 2006 20:35

Dawn if you would like me to double check the records incase you missed anything post some names & dates or send them in a PM & I will gladly check. Georgina.

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 21 Oct 2006 20:37

Georgina was a girl born dec 30th 1942 in Banbury district Surname was Dove. Mothers maiden name Andrews Think she would of been called Sylvia

Georgina

Georgina Report 21 Oct 2006 20:45

Sorry Dawn only Stewarts birth registration, nothing in births or deaths for a daughter. Georgina.

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 21 Oct 2006 20:46

Georgina thanks at least I know I haven't missed something

Janet in Yorkshire

Janet in Yorkshire Report 21 Oct 2006 20:49

I wonder if the poor little mite died on the way to hospital and so there was nothing they could do for her? I'm not sure what would happen under those circumstances, but would have thought the hospital would have had to write out a death certificate? The Mum of another friend actually had two little girls, in hospital, before my friend was born. Sadly, the first baby was stillborn, but the next one (not twins) lived for 30 minutes. They have both a birth and a death certificate for her. As you can imagine, my friend is very cherished as she is so precious to both her parents. Jay

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 21 Oct 2006 20:56

Jay she was my aunt and I keep getting an image oof her wrapped in towel being carried into one of the old type ambulances. Strange but me and my sister are the only granddaughters but it wasn't until my eldest was born that my grandparents said I wonder if she would of been like my daughter and a shame none of us knew while my granddad was alive so we could of found more out

Kate

Kate Report 21 Oct 2006 23:18

You've got me thinking now because I was also baptised in hospital. I stopped breathing twice at birth and I wasn't supposed to make it, but on that occasion I do know I was baptised by a priest. However, I don't have any certificate or anything to do with my baptism.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Oct 2006 23:26

My sister was a midwife and spent most of her working life working with premature babies. She often baptised babies if it was thought that the baby was going to die before a priest or vicar could get there, and there were no records of these baptism's kept. Kath. x

Margaret

Margaret Report 21 Oct 2006 23:31

My cousin was baptised in hospital. It was in the parish records of the church nearest to the hospital. It did say that he was in the hospital in the records.

Orange Cat and Me

Orange Cat and Me Report 21 Oct 2006 23:36

Hospitals used to have admission books, large leather bound and full of info. including baptisms. The hospital must have them archived somewhere. Parents used to be offered a hospital burial, the hospital had an area of a cemetery which was set aside for children. You could find out which cemetery the hospital used, and they should tell you where the children's plot is. A family friend lost her baby at birth, her husband organised everything and then it was never spoken of, it was only after his death that she decided to find out what happened, the hospital chaplin was very helpful and eventually she discovered she had a son and that he was buried in the hospital plot. Good luck KG

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 21 Oct 2006 23:53

This probably isn't appropriate and I will delete if it upsets anyone. A friend and her husband were first on the scene of an horrific RTA. One of the men was obviously dying and kept on screaming 'I don't want to got to Hell! I haven't been baptised!' My friend's husband, who is not a bit religious, made the sign of the cross on his forehead and said 'I baptise you in the name of the Lord'. The man died shortly afterwards, but my friends were traumatised, and though not religious themselves, eventually contacted their parish priest and asked him if what they had done was 'alright' and did it count where it mattered!?! The Priest told them that yes, it DOES count, that God heard the words spoken by my friend and took the dead man as a Christian. So, in extremis, ANYONE can baptise an unbaptised person and it 'counts', even if there is no written record for we mortals. OC

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 22 Oct 2006 12:51

Thank you everyone, will pass it all onto mum as she has made it her mission to find her. the hospital burial not sure about cos my gramps told nan where he took the coffin at the local cemetery its just they can't find a record but with the trauma that they were both going through things will of got muddled