Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Giving Dead Children's Names to New Babies

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Richard

Richard Report 16 Nov 2006 13:18

Was this a common practice in the 19th century? My gt-gt-grandmother Jane Foster was, I thought(!) born in 1846. That's what all the census records indicate. But I've just found her father, Samuel, and sister, Eliza, in the 1841 census...and Jane Foster is recorded as living with them aged three-years. Is it likely that between 1841 Jane Foster could've died, a new baby been born and then christened Jane Foster as well? Unfortunately, like most people on my father's side, they were living in London which narrowing things down for BMD certs. rather difficult. >:o Rich

Charlie chuckles

Charlie chuckles Report 16 Nov 2006 13:21

Very common and into the 20th century--My gt uncle Louis died aged 24 and 2 years later my 2nd gt uncle Louis was born all in the 1930's!, This happens more on my Irish side but has happened on the English side

POSITIVE Pauline

POSITIVE Pauline Report 16 Nov 2006 13:22

Hi Rich It was a common practice back then. It was a sort of commemoration of the first child that died. I have found many instances in my research. The first one I found I thought I had made a mistake. I think we would find it very strange today. PP xx

Kerry

Kerry Report 16 Nov 2006 13:25

Afraid it happens in Scotland as well. My dad's side has a least two instances of this that we know of. His GG granda had 3 sons all called William (1st died and next baby born was called William then he died and next baby born was called William). This was so the fathers name was definately going to be carried on. Then one of these Williams did the same (he only had 2 Williams). My dad is actually the 8th William down the line!

Potty

Potty Report 16 Nov 2006 13:25

I have a son from a second marriage who was given the same name as one from the first marriage, who was still alive when the second was born!

Richard

Richard Report 16 Nov 2006 13:26

Thanks for the replies. I think that is what hapened in my gt-gt-grandmother's case, but it's a bit worrying when you first find it. And, yes it's hard to imagine it being done today! Rich :-)

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 16 Nov 2006 13:31

There was also a certain amount of superstition attached to this practice, the thinking being that as the Devil had taken one child called John, he wouldn't be looking for another one. Didn't work very well in my family - four Samuels born in four successive years, all died in infancy. OC

Roger in Sussex

Roger in Sussex Report 16 Nov 2006 17:40

I have found a variant in my family, where the dead child's name was given as a second name, with a different first name, for example, Ralph had died and a later brother was called Norman Ralph.

Laura

Laura Report 16 Nov 2006 17:43

This has happened helluva lot in my family! On all sides, English, Irish, Scottish etc! Seems to be quite common wherever you look, even with children being called Mary Louisa and another daughter called Louisa (after the mum, Louisa!) Laura x

Vikki Brace

Vikki Brace Report 16 Nov 2006 18:25

It was common for a long time - I have 5 Thomas' born between 1750 and 1767 None survived. Although sometimes if one child was thought to be dying and another born the new child would be given the same name which is why you can find 2 children in one family with the same name Vikkix

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 16 Nov 2006 18:28

I think the other reason is the naming pattern. They were so determined to name a baby after their mother, father whatever.

Kate

Kate Report 16 Nov 2006 18:28

My great-great-great grandad was John Siggs, born to John and an unknown mother in 1823. His mother must have died because twenty years later, his father remarried and had another son called John, again while the first was still alive. Maybe it didn't bother them so much if the first one had grown up and moved out.

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 16 Nov 2006 18:36

Sometimes it can help you guess which family is yours. I've got a Daniel I am trying to find with an unusual surname. Still can't find his birth but I have found a man with that name on IGI who had three sons called Daniel in a row who all died. I am assuming for the moment that the one I need is a 4th who survived. He's only pencilled in at the moment but it looks like a good hunch for the moment. Sue

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 16 Nov 2006 18:39

My husband has the same name as a baby brother who died the year before hubby was born. (We only found this out last year). They were both named after their grandfather, who unfortunately died three months before hubby was born. Kath. x

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 16 Nov 2006 19:11

My uncle (born 1924) was given the same name as his brother who died two years previously. I was quite surprised as I'd thought the practice had stopped years previously.

Karen

Karen Report 16 Nov 2006 19:25

There are loads of examples of this in my family. My grandad even got his old age pension 3 years early because they got him mixed up with an elder defunct sibling of the same name!

Helen

Helen Report 16 Nov 2006 19:58

It is usually because the dead child had an important family name, either Dad's, Dad's Dad's or Mum's Dad's etc. And it seemed to happen more for boys than girls, not sure why.

Stacy

Stacy Report 16 Nov 2006 20:18

I found a case of this in the early 1900's, my grandfather was born in 1929, after searching for his siblings I found he had a brother born in 1920 with the same name, he dies aged 2 Stacy

Joanna

Joanna Report 18 Nov 2006 12:18

One of my families had 4 williams! If I had 3 babies that died that were all called william I think I would of called the 4th somthing else

Rachel

Rachel Report 18 Nov 2006 12:34

my lot did it in wales too, I have Amelia maxey bap. 20 Nov 1871, burial 23 Nov 1871 Amelia maxey 10 Jul 1872, live to adult hood Margaretta maxey bap. 12 May 1875, burial 19 July 1875 Margaretta maxey Bap. 30 Sept 1877, 19 Mar 1878 These are the last 4 children recorded in parish records, mum was 42 when Margaretta (2) died so may not have had many more. There may have been other older children that I have no knowlege of too as 5 of 6 older children were christened 22 Nov 1871 (the day before Amelia (1) was buried - think a new vicar was in town but not sure) A relative of my cousin wanted to name her 2nd daughter after the 1st daughter that died as an infant in the 1990's, the family intervend and pointed out that the 2nd girl would always be in her sisteres shaddow and couldn't replace her sister - the mum finally aggred and give the 2nd girl a different name but the child's middle name is her sisters first name.