Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

<b> What viewer would you have to download to view

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 17 Dec 2006 20:29

I need to sent an image from Scotland People to someone, what image viewer would they need to view a downloaded Tiff image. Betty

Andrew

Andrew Report 17 Dec 2006 20:33

I use Irfanview (www.irfanview.com) which is free and reads just about every image format there is.

Andrew

Andrew Report 17 Dec 2006 20:35

Sorry, I forgot this board doesn't like website addresses. It's www*irfanview*com (replace * with . )

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 17 Dec 2006 20:38

Hi Andrew, Thanks for your help, so this viewer can view all different kinds of image jpeg and Tiff!! Thats great may download it myself and mention it to other friends too. Betty

Ron

Ron Report 17 Dec 2006 22:07

If all you want to do is look at images you already have the software in Windows XP. Start, All Programs, Accessories, Paint. Carol www*genealogyprinters*com

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 17 Dec 2006 22:38

Hi Ron, No I have done a lookup for someone on Scotland people and would like to send them the image. However I have found before when I do this because the image is Tiff they are unable to view it with their own viewer. I thought if I could change it to jpeg before sending the image then they would all be able to view them. Betty

Paul

Paul Report 17 Dec 2006 23:18

Hi Betty, All computers that use Microsoft Windows should have Microsoft Paint (look in Accessories). This will open TIFF files or you can open the TIFF and 'Save as' a JPEG, BMP or whatever. Paul

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 17 Dec 2006 23:24

Hi again Paul, I tried this save to paint thing before and it didin't work, also when you view SP in Tiff, I can't view or save it to JPEG. Betty

Paul

Paul Report 18 Dec 2006 00:05

Hi Betty, Open the TIFF file in Paint. Go to File, Save as and select JPEG, give it a new file name and save it to your hard drive. No reason why this should not work. Or send the file as a TIFF with instructions on how to open Paint and then use 'File Open' and select 'All image types'. No reason why this won't work either. Paul PS. Another way to view it is to use 'Microsoft Office Document Imaging'. If you have Office installed, you should have this program listed under Microsoft Office/Microsoft Office Tools.

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 18 Dec 2006 00:05

Hi Paul, I don't have aTIFF file in my paint!!!! At the moment the image is in my picture file. Betty

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 18 Dec 2006 00:11

Hi Paul Windows XP

Paul

Paul Report 18 Dec 2006 00:12

Hi Betty, What version of Windows are you using? Paint should have 4 different types of BMP then JPEG, GIF, TIFF and PNG in the list of file types. Paul

Paul

Paul Report 18 Dec 2006 00:16

Hi Betty, Then your Windows installation is incomplete, it may have been installed with the minimum set of options instead of 'All features' I suggest you insert the original Windows XP CD and add all of the missing bits. Paul When you start Paint, click on File then Save As what file types are listed in the pull down box at the bottom of the File Save As window?

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 18 Dec 2006 00:19

Hi Paul, I will look out the disk and try to reinstall it again, maybe thats been the problem all along!! Betty

Paul

Paul Report 18 Dec 2006 00:29

Hi Betty, You should be able to just add the missing bits, you don't need to install the whole of Windows. Use the 'Install Optional Windows Components' menu and ensure that 'Accessories and Utilities' is checked. Paul

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 18 Dec 2006 00:36

Hi Paul, just set microsoft to check my system and is say if you have microsoft office then Paint may not be able to install fully. Maybe thats what is the problem I also have microsoft office on my system. When you install Microsoft Office 2000 Service Release 1 (SR1) or Service Pack 2 (SP2), you may be ... You May Be Unable to Save .jpg Files with Microsoft Paint After You Install Office 2000 SR1 or ... support.microsoft.com/kb/299953 Betty

Paul

Paul Report 18 Dec 2006 00:40

Hi Betty, I didn't know about that one! I don't use Office 2000 so have never seen the message. It all works with Office XP (2002) or Office 2003. Paul

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 18 Dec 2006 00:42

Hi Paul, This bit I copied and pasted from Microsoft infomation on downloading paint.. When you install Microsoft Office 2000 Service Release 1 (SR1) or Service Pack 2 (SP2), you may be ... You May Be Unable to Save .jpg Files with Microsoft Paint After You Install Office 2000 SR1 or ... support.microsoft

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 18 Dec 2006 00:56

Paul thanks for all your help!! Betty

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 21 Dec 2006 09:38

Anyone with XP should be able view and 'save as' BMP, JPEG, GIF, TIFF & PNG files with Windows Picture and Fax viewer. Bob