Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Great Grandads not there!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Star

Star Report 3 Jan 2007 11:57

Great Granadad Alfred Dagless only appears on the 1901 census, as age 57, he was born around 1844 in North Walsom, Norfolk, armed with this I decided to look for his birth entry, I looked from 1843 - 1847 and he's just not there, neither is he on any of the other censuses. How could this be? What time span would it have been to register a birth? And why is he not on any of the other censuses other than 1901? Thanks - Stella.

Sam

Sam Report 3 Jan 2007 12:00

It wasn't compulsary to register births until 1875 so it is possible that he wasn't registered. As for the census, he has probably been mistranscribed. Can you post 1901 census info for reference? Sam x

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 3 Jan 2007 12:07

Hi Is this him in 1881? Name: Alfred Daglass Age: 31 Estimated birth year: abt 1850 Gender: Male Where born: Norwich, Norfolk, England Civil parish: Farnborough County/Island: Hampshire Country: England Street address: 'nrth Camp Aldershot A B & C Lines' Education: Employment status: View image Occupation: Private 56th Regiment Registration district: Hartley Wintney Sub-registration district: Farnborough ED, institution, or vessel: 10 Birthdate a bit out Cheryl

Star

Star Report 3 Jan 2007 12:09

1901 census Alfred Dagless Age 57 Relation Head Spouses Name Elizabeth Gender Male Where born North Walsom Norfolk Civil Parish Whaplode Ecclesiastical Parish Whaplode St Mary Town Whaplode County Lincolnshire Country England Registration District Holbeach Sub-Reg District Holbeach Ed institution or vessel 14 Household Schedule Number 21 Household members Alfred Dagless 57 Alice M Dagless 6 Elizabeth Dagless 32 (don't know maiden name but born in Wigtoft Lincs) Harriet Dagless 4 Louisa Dagless 7

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 3 Jan 2007 12:10

Hi Possible marriage? Marriages Dec 1893 (>99%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Clements Elizabeth Holbeach 7a 739 Dagless Alfred Thomas Holbeach 7a 739 Cheryl

Star

Star Report 3 Jan 2007 12:11

Ozibird you beat me to it LOL LOL!!!!! X Cheryl, your reply is not him, but thanks for looking/typing & helping X

Star

Star Report 3 Jan 2007 12:16

Ooh - a marriage, I don't know Cheryl, I haven't looked into that yet!!! The reg district would have been Holbeach wouldn't it?

Star

Star Report 3 Jan 2007 12:18

Thanks Cheryl/Ozibird, the marriage looks right doesn't it, and I never knew anout Alfred's middle name either, I shall look at the Marriage image now, so was Clements her maiden name?

Willow

Willow Report 3 Jan 2007 12:19

Its North Walsham, I used to live there many moons ago.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 3 Jan 2007 12:21

CLEMENTS was her surname at time of marriage.... but not necessarily her maiden name. Gwyn

Star

Star Report 3 Jan 2007 12:21

1881 census - cheryl gave, got him down as being born in Norwich and the Reg District as Hampshire. I know there is a Norfolk and Lincolnshire link not a Hampshire link. Stella X I know somewhere along the line the name was changed from Douglas to Dagless to get into the army. I was told that our Douglas ancestors were thrown out of Scotland for fighting apparently!!!

Star

Star Report 3 Jan 2007 12:28

Gonna log off, better feed my children Stella X

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 3 Jan 2007 12:49

Stella The 1881 that Cheryl gave - the district of Hampshire is where he is on census night, not where he was born. I would be VERY surprised if that's not him, can't be many men called Daglass in the army! Dont worry about the birth date being out, as the census returns for the baracks would have been filled out by a lazy clerk, not by your man himself. OC

Sandra S

Sandra S Report 3 Jan 2007 12:50

Hi ref - the 1881 census I live in Aldershot, and it still is very much an army town. North Camp is situated mid way between Aldershot and Farnborough. I had one of my relations who was born and bred in Essex turn up here (Aldershot) in the Army in the 1881 census. Sandra

Star

Star Report 3 Jan 2007 13:58

Thankyou for all of your replies, maybe the 1881 census - it is him. The marriage is def. correct, I looked on the census and clements was her maiden name and born in Wigtoft which i knew about so it is right, you have given me more ancestors for the Clements branch of my tree. I will look on the 1881 census again and not jump to conclusions next time!!! It is confusing me, all the mispellings and different or estimated date of births. Thanks Stella X

Star

Star Report 3 Jan 2007 18:40

Thankyou for the 1851 census, it looks about right doesn't it? But wondering why the Birth place is different on each census? One says Norwich, another says North Walsham, and another says Banningham, all in Norfolk area though. So I'll check it out Thanks for you time. Stella X

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 3 Jan 2007 19:14

Stella Generally speaking, I find that the earlier the census, the more likely the birth place is to be correct. the question regarding place of birth changed wording on the 1871 census to read 'Where born? Give nearest identifiable town'. OC

Star

Star Report 3 Jan 2007 21:57

1851 Census Alferd Daglass Born Banningham Norfolk abt 1850 1881 Census Alfred Daglass Born Norwich Norfolk abt 1850 1901 census Alfred Dagless Born North Walsom Norfolk abt 1844 Confusing me? Different Birth places? But all in Norfolk area. Is it the same man?

Star

Star Report 4 Jan 2007 13:16

Update!!! I found Alfred Daglass in the Birth Index images in 1849 -July/Aug/Sept ........Born in Aylsham......Norfolk.....