Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help please my tree has splinters....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 19 Jan 2007 22:22

On receiving a marriage certificate I find that father of the bride is not the one that I had on my tree (should have known better and got cert first)..now have lost a whole family because I cannot find the bride or her father on census (censi?) what can I do now?

Brit

Brit Report 19 Jan 2007 22:33

Why don't you post the details and perhaps someone on here can help you.

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 19 Jan 2007 22:44

Thanks Maggie- I'm a bit frustrated after looking for 2 days.. I have a Florence Wilson b 1890 West Ham Essex and sister Rosina b c1885 West Ham. On getting marriage cet for Florence find that fathers name is Thomas Wilson deceased (able Seaman).. Problem is cannot find Florence & Rosina (their were other siblings but I dont know their names) only family I found had a Christopher as father.

Brit

Brit Report 19 Jan 2007 22:58

Hi How sure were you that the Florence whose marriage cert you got was the one you were looking for?

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 19 Jan 2007 23:04

100% sure as she was my Grandmother

Brit

Brit Report 19 Jan 2007 23:08

what was Florence's married name?

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 19 Jan 2007 23:10

Florence married Albert Nichols on 7th May 1915 She was spinster aged 25 and Albert widowed aged 26 married West Ham Registry Office.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 19 Jan 2007 23:11

Not found a match on 1891 or 1901 1901 there is this entry in the right area Name: Florence Wilson Age: 11 Estimated birth year: abt 1890 Relation: Adopted Daughter Gender: Female Where born: Nk, London, England Civil parish: West Ham Ecclesiastical parish: St Mary County/Island: Essex Country: England Registration district: West Ham Sub-registration district: Plaistow ED, institution, or vessel: 10 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 149 Household Members: Name Age Bartley Wilson 77 Florence Wilson 11 Mary Wilson 48 Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 1569; Folio: 65; Page: 23 But the surname of Florence could be because she is 'adopted' rather than her birth name Maureen

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 19 Jan 2007 23:18

Thanks Maureen - I had looked at that one but ruled her out because I know she had a sister Rosie and a brother (dont know his name-think he married a Florence) but they are not showing on 1901

Brit

Brit Report 19 Jan 2007 23:19

I expect you have seen this one on the 1891 1891 England Census about Florence Wilson Name: Florence Wilson Age: 1 Estimated birth year: abt 1890 Relation: Daughter Father's name: Thomas Mother's name: Sarah Gender: Female Where born: Colchester, Essex, England Civil parish: St Giles Ecclesiastical parish: St Giles County/Island: Essex Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Colchester Sub-registration district: Colchester First Ward ED, institution, or vessel: 13 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Florence Wilson 1 Sarah Wilson 24 Thomas Wilson 43 View Original Record View original image View blank form

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 19 Jan 2007 23:25

Thanks Maggie - No I didnt have this one - does it say fathers occupation as on marriage cert it says able seaman Sylvie

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 19 Jan 2007 23:32

Maggie just had a look and that Thomas is a soldier -paymaster sargeant - dont think its my one Sylvie

Brit

Brit Report 19 Jan 2007 23:33

Sorry I think this is the 1891 family, he is an army pensioner here. On the 1891 he shows as a soldier, paymaster's sergeant born in Ireland. Doesn't sound like them after all. 1901 England Census about Florence Mabel Wilson Name: Florence Mabel Wilson Age: 11 Estimated birth year: abt 1890 Relation: Daughter Father's name: Thomas Mother's name: Sarah Gender: Female Where born: Colchester, Essex, England Civil parish: Wood Green Ecclesiastical parish: St Mark County/Island: Middlesex Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Edmonton Sub-registration district: Tottenham ED, institution, or vessel: 70 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 56 Household Members: Name Age Emily Jessie Wilson 6 Florence Mabel Wilson 11 Grace Alice Wilson 4 Sarah Wilson 34 Thomas Wilson 51 Thomas Charles Wilson 2 Winifred May Wilson 8

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 19 Jan 2007 23:35

There is a birth for Rosina Louisa Wilson in 1886 in West Ham. A possible marriage of a Rosina L Wilson in 1911 also in West Ham. If the right Rosina then do you have the birth or marriage certificates? Maureen

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 19 Jan 2007 23:39

Hi Maureen, could be the birth of Rosina - definately not the marriage as she stayed single ( was deaf and dumb) and is buried with her sister Florence and brother in law Albert.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 19 Jan 2007 23:42

Just wondering if Florence got the name of her father wrong on the marriage certificate. My great aunt Sally married 3 times and put Herbert as her father but her birth certificate shows Harold. If it was not for the fact that the family lived at the same address for 50 years I would have thought I had the wrong certificates. Maureen

Brit

Brit Report 19 Jan 2007 23:50

It does seem to keep coming back to that 1901 family with Christopher doesn't it? I see that Rosina's middle name (if that is the right birth )is Louisa, which is the name of Christopher's wife. This could be following the naming patterns of the day. Perhaps it would be worth the cost of the birth cert

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 20 Jan 2007 00:08

Hello Girls, Yes I think your both right - will have to speak to my aunt ( she s in her 90s so cant speak/hear on phone very well) to try and sort this out - did so want to sort it myself... well with help. Thanks again for your time Sylvie X

Rachel

Rachel Report 20 Jan 2007 02:09

Sylvie, Just seen your thread, the girls have a point about getting the name wrong on the marriage certificate. I have a prime example. My great-grandfather (Henry John James Wyatt) married in the 1920's and gave his father's name as Charles Wyatt, I then looked at the census for 1901 when Henry was a baby (couldn't aford the birth certificate just then) but couldn't find one with father Charles. When I looked again I found one with the father Absolom Wyatt, all the siblings were right and the age and place of birth were right but I couldn't figer out why Charles was given in the marriage certificate if the father was Absolom. Eventually got the birth certificate and father was Absolom. We've still not worked out how or why the name got changed but it happened.

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 20 Jan 2007 02:21

Hello Lunar, Thanks I do see your point -just oft to bed now as absolutely shattered BUT have found the families on 81 and 91 (I'm sure its them) Has Roseanna/Rosina as being deaf on 91 and mum is seamans wife from Ireland (no mention of Dad). my eyes are all blurry and my legs are twitching so I think I've done enough for today (is this genealogyitus!!!!) Thanks again for your info I'm sure it will come in handy AND I've learnt my lesson get certs first and confirm info is correct. Thanks again toyou all and goodnight God Bless Sylvie X