Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

RAF records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 25 Jan 2007 11:50

Hi I have today received my Granddad’s RAF records there was a letter saying due to the time that has passed only a brief record if available. I was wondering if anyone knows of any good websites which can help add some more information to the records I have been sent. There are a lot of units listed and would like to find out what they were and what they did. There are a lot of abbreviations for promotions and exams he did. I have looked on some websites but nothing comes up for the abbreviations used on his records. I would love to find out more but need help deciphering the information. Any help would be really helpful. Thanks Karen

Irene

Irene Report 25 Jan 2007 12:26

I know what you mean - we did the same for my father in law - it told you the places he was stationed during the war but not what battles ect he took part in - I bought (or you can go to the library) and looked up the battles for his regiment ect. Not sure but I think there is a RAF musuem at Hendon that maybe able to help you with some of your question - perhaps you could email them. Irene

Heather

Heather Report 25 Jan 2007 12:51

I got the same with my dads records which was really disappointing. I put my dad on the Forces Reunited website 3 years back to try and find his old mates from the RAF, giving his squadron nos and places he fought. A year after he died I received a message from a chap writing on behalf of his dad who was 90 years old. He was the man who had taught my dad to drive an armoured vehicle in the Himalyas. It broke my heart that the message came a year too late for dad but I sent this man some photos of dad in Burma and India in the war and the old chap was apparently moved to tears to see his old mates. Try Forces Reunited to see if anyone on there has any info for you.

Karen

Karen Report 25 Jan 2007 12:59

Hi Thanks will have a look at the RAF musuem website and go from there, I am going to have a looked at website for reuniting old buddies. I was also a little dispaointed that there was nothing more but having never met my grandad seeing the information regarding his hair colour, height etc means a lot. It also gave me my nans WAAF number which we did not know. How did you find out what squadron he was in looking at the information I cant seem to see anything thats says who he served with. Thanks Karen

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Jan 2007 16:50

Why not put some of the abbreviations on here and see if anyone can help you. I think there are some ex RAF on here and I used to work for the RAF in Personnel so you never know. ann Glos

Heather

Heather Report 25 Jan 2007 18:43

DAD had told me the squadron nos but they also appeared on his record and his discharge book.

Karen

Karen Report 25 Jan 2007 20:16

Hi My Granddad seems to have been in a few different units - he served from 1941 - 46 incase this helps. Units: Oxford Res 1? RC 14 RC 9(P)AFU GOS 16MU 5 PDC S E Asia D?? Bombay 5 BSH 7 BSH NTTC 7BSU BPD(U) These are what are listed any information what they are would help. At the top of the record is the following writting I am wondering if this is what squadron he was in?? ACII/INST.?epr.2 ACH/GDBS GRP 5 He was born and lived in Gloucester dont know if that narrow's it down. Any information or ideas would be helpful. Thanks to you all Karen

David

David Report 25 Jan 2007 20:58

Hi Karen , im ex raf regiment, all the no,s you listed would have been squdrons or units he served on like res is reserves, and 16mu is a maitenence unit ,the others im not sure of but oxford may have been raf bicester. Bombay -speaks for itself . . what did he do in the RAF? Another souce of info could come from Raf association was he a member when he retired? The association will have its own web site dave

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Jan 2007 21:24

In your last bit. AC11 could be his rank Aircraftsman 2 ann Glos

David

David Report 25 Jan 2007 22:19

AC11/INST--- RANK AIRCRAFTMAN CLASS2, INST, (NOT SURE) ACH/GDBS - POSS HIS JOB. GRP5-- GROUP NO5 .

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 25 Jan 2007 22:47

Hi Karen found these on this site:- http://www.worldwar2exraf*co.uk/Squadron%20Pages/Squadron%20Search%20Pages/Other%20Units.htm Replace star with dot. Looks like your grandfather was in many units as was normally the case. 9(p)AFU = 9 (pilots) Advanced Flying Unit, 16 MU = 16 Maintenance UNit, not sure where based, possibly Stafford 5 PDC = Personnel Dispatch centre. Also some on this site. http://www.associations.rafinfo.org.uk/acronyms.htm Not sure what ACII or AC11 is but dont think it is AC2 (Aircraftman second class) as I think the INST is instructor or it could be Instrument(fitter)(which would fit with AC2) Good luck

David

David Report 25 Jan 2007 22:51

OK ACH/GDBS--- AIRCRAFT HAND/GROUP DEFENCE ? SCHOOL, TAKE ALOOK AT THIS SITE KAREN LOOKS INTERESTING ITS CALLED WW2 EX RAF.CO.UK JUST GOOGLE RAF WW2. AND IT WILL BE LISTED

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 25 Jan 2007 22:53

David, how about General Duties (Balloon Squadron)

David

David Report 25 Jan 2007 23:02

ID GUEST THAT HE WAS AN AIRCRAFTSMAN CLASS2 WHEN THIS PAPER YOU RECIVED WAS WRITEN , HE MOST LIKELY BE A MECH WORKING ON AIRCRAFT MAITENANCE ,I BELIVE 16 MU IS STILL IN EXISTENCE . FIGHTER GROUPS WERE NO AND 5 WAS ONE OF THEM SO HE WAS POSS WORKING WITH A FIGHTER SQD AS OPPOSED TO BOMBERS. DAVE EX RAF REGT

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 25 Jan 2007 23:06

16 MU is currently at Stafford.

David

David Report 25 Jan 2007 23:16

WELL THAT COULD BE KEITH , BALOON SQD OR SCHOOL, ? ACH IS AIRCRAFTHAND SO IF INST IS INSTRUCTOR ,THEN ITS MOST LIKELY A SCHOOL !! BE INTERESTED IN WHAT YOU FIND KAREN KEEP ME POSTED DAVE

David

David Report 25 Jan 2007 23:23

YEP HAVE FOUND THAT A BALLOON SQD WAS IN OPPERATION AT RAF SWINDON /OXFORD IN WW2 .

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 26 Jan 2007 00:53

Here is another brilliant sight that you can put queries into http://www.rafcommands.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=list&forum=DCForumID6 babs

Karen

Karen Report 26 Jan 2007 11:15

Hi Thanks for all the information I have had a look on the websites. I have looked at the information I was sent its shows that he was promoted he started of as AC2 then AC1 then he was a LAC then A/CPL then T/CPL. He was a CPL when he left in 1946. On two of the units there is a reason code HH does any one know what that means? Thanks for all you help Karen