Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Norton Subscription/Help needed plz

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann

Ann Report 6 Feb 2007 22:47

Help..........PLease!...only 8 days to sort it out! I am trying to renew my Norton Anti Virus BUT AOL message says 'This file is too large to open using AOL Please open this file using another application' How do I do that? Does anyone know? Many thanks Ann

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 6 Feb 2007 23:06

Sorry can't help on that specific question, but I do know that the current (new) Norton is not as good as the old one and lots of people recommend that you choose different spyware. I've got Zone Alarm which you can download for a similar price (I think) to the Norton one, but it is much more efficient - my laptop came with Norton and when I ditched it after 2 weeks and downloaded Zone Alarm, Zone Alarm picked up and quarantined 2 spies and blocked 2 intrusions which were high rated - how come Norton didn't find them? It has also blocked 13 access attempts in only 5 days. Suggest you google Zone Alarm to read what has been said about it. Good luck

Ann

Ann Report 6 Feb 2007 23:09

Thanks Liz I will look into that. Many thanks Ann

Heather

Heather Report 6 Feb 2007 23:11

Ann, why dont you get the free AVG 7.5 like most of us? You can get zone alarm free aswell.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 6 Feb 2007 23:14

Go to Zonelabs(.)com to check out Zone Alarm, even if you don't download it but use AVG.75 as suggested by Heather. Liz

Ann

Ann Report 6 Feb 2007 23:15

Glad to see your computer is still working Heather!! Did you do the error check? I will have a look at AGV tomorrow, I was supposed to be going to bed ages ago!! LOL Many thanks Liz + Heather Regards Ann

Ann

Ann Report 6 Feb 2007 23:20

Liz Was it the ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite v.6 that you have plz.? I will be checking it all out tomorrow but just did a quick price check + Yes, it was much the same as Norton....infact a little bit cheaper. Thanks, again Ann

Heather

Heather Report 6 Feb 2007 23:21

Ann a lot of us dumped paid for Norton/Mcaffee for AVG 7.5 - go to grisoft and download the free version. It picked up lots of stuff my paid for program had missed. Zone alarm firewall is also a free download, just google for it. I also have free spy blaster.

Ann

Ann Report 6 Feb 2007 23:25

Thanks Heather/Liz I Have a whole day to myself ( a rare occurrence) tomorrow so I will be checking it all out online. Night Night! Ann

Ann

Ann Report 7 Feb 2007 09:22

I have actually got a free Ad Aware on my pc + when I scan it only seems to bring up tracking risks. In the past Norton has detected Trojan Horse + Hacker risk so I am a bit suspicous as to whether the Free ones actually cover all these risks. I have started googling this morning for Zone Alarm etc but have yet to find any in depth info! Maybe I need a coffee break, LOL Ann

Heather

Heather Report 7 Feb 2007 09:47

Here is zonealarm free download:: http://www*download*com/3000-2092-10039884*html If you use the free spyblaster it stops spies getting on your system rather than finding them after they have.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Feb 2007 09:54

I bought the new Norton cos my PC went kaput and i had to buy a new PC . Wasnt worth loading my old Norton cos was 2003 and would need loads of updating. I too thought the 2007 wasnt as good as the old one but on searching the symantec home page I found a free addition to the 2007 for download which brought it up to date. included add blocking and Spam email collecting on my ISP email. am pleased with it now as it catches loads more potential risks that the previous edition didnt

Heather

Heather Report 7 Feb 2007 10:11

I was just googling, and this one comes up ahead of AVG7.5 even: http://www*free-av*com/

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 7 Feb 2007 12:00

Go to Zonelab(dot)com, you will get all the info there, as it is Zone Alarms webpage.

Ann

Ann Report 7 Feb 2007 17:32

Thanks again folks. I have found the zone internet suite online + can have a Free trial for 15 days without obligation, which seems good. I am going to sound really daft now! But it has 2 Firewalls: Advanced Network and Program Firewall Operating System Firewall (OSFirewall™) I already have a windows firewall, will this cause conflict on my computer? I am not very technical(as if you hadn't already guessed!) Sorry to be a pain again. Many thanks Ann

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 7 Feb 2007 18:24

I'm not sure, but I think you have to uninstall any other firewalls etc. also Norton if it has not yet run out, but when you start to download it will tell you. Liz

Ann

Ann Report 7 Feb 2007 22:19

Thanks AGAIN Liz.

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 7 Feb 2007 22:41

When i first got my PC,i had norton,then when the first year was up i paid the subs, i did'nt know about the free ones on the web, then when it was due again and i had learnt more, i ditched norton and got AVG, and when it did the first scan it picked up a couple of trojans which norton had'nt!! so the paid for ones are'nt all there cracked up to be!! AVG is great, it scans every day when i switch on and up dates everyday. When my PC crashed and the bloke who repaired it brought it back and he had already put AVG on from the web. Chris.