Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Apostrophes and quotation marks

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peter

Peter Report 8 Feb 2007 15:14

Well, this is a little strange. Since getting a new computer, at GR (and only at GR, so far as I can see), in messages I send, single quote marks or apostrophes are appearing as double quotation marks. I just posted and deleted a test message here in the Tips board, and here the opposite happens: apostrophes show up just fine, but double quotes appear as singles. Does anyone have an idea how I can fix it? Typed apostrophe: ' Typed double quotation mark: ' See, wrong!

Peter

Peter Report 8 Feb 2007 15:20

(see below)

Jim The Ferret

Jim The Ferret Report 8 Feb 2007 15:26

Hi Peter. I'm not an expert but my understanding is that the computer needs to know what type of keyboard you have. Maybe yours is set up wrongly. If you go to ControlPanel, and then select Keyboard and check what hardward it thinks it has. I can't check on mine because it is a laptop and doesn't give me an option. Jim

Peter

Peter Report 8 Feb 2007 15:28

Thanks, Jim. Not entirely sure how to do that. The keyboard is a standard 102 key Windows PS/2 one, and Windows can't find better drivers for it. Just to muddy the waters, at my tribalpages site, quotation marks work fine, but apostrophes are being converted into (if this displays properly) ` (grave accent type thing).

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 8 Feb 2007 15:52

I have this problem using both our main pc, a year or so old, and my new laptop, new this year, I just ignore it. Liz ps. I mean I only have this problem with GR site.

Mandy in Wiltshire

Mandy in Wiltshire Report 8 Feb 2007 16:39

It's not your pc, it's something strange going on with the GR site! If you have any recent contact messages containing apostrophes, you can go back to find that they've multiplied overnight. For instance, I have one message in my GR inbox where the title is It'''''''''''''''s..... Mandy :)

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 8 Feb 2007 16:56

QED double quotes ' ' ' ' come out a s single ones

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 8 Feb 2007 17:02

Test 1 ' Test 2 '

Peter

Peter Report 8 Feb 2007 17:22

If it's a problem with GR, then I feel happily safe on familiar ground. Thanks everyone.

Laura

Laura Report 8 Feb 2007 17:47

' ' Testing, testing

Laura

Laura Report 8 Feb 2007 17:48

I'd never noticed that before! Feature my a**! Typical of GR,

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 8 Feb 2007 17:49

GR would probably call it a ''Feature'' rather than a ''Problem''

Mandy in Wiltshire

Mandy in Wiltshire Report 8 Feb 2007 18:33

LOL Peter, I think you're probably right - and a 'new' feature at that! Mandy :)

Anne

Anne Report 8 Feb 2007 21:24

Its always been like this on GR. I'm sure they know best!!!!!!!!??? Anne

Peter

Peter Report 8 Feb 2007 21:27

So how did Peter produce the double quotation marks in his 17:49:28 message?

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 8 Feb 2007 22:30

Peter, I have the same problems with GR and Tribal Pages. I think it's just a glitch with the two sites.

Willow

Willow Report 8 Feb 2007 22:57

'does it work?' never noticed that before, how strange...

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 9 Feb 2007 01:49

'' well mine works fine '' (smirk smirk) actually I cheated - just type two apostrophes when you want a quotation mark. Yes it is a ''feature'' of this site. I know that a few years back, quotation marks were causing a bug on this site, in that if you used them in a thread title, then no-one could reply to the thread. So the programming geniuses at GR fixed it - by changing all the quotes to apostophes! Richard