Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

<b> Computer e-mail problem, help required please!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 19 Feb 2007 23:44

For some reason when I send an e-mail to my daughter, she is unable to receive it, however I can receive mail from her, why would this happen. Betty

Julie

Julie Report 19 Feb 2007 23:52

Betty I've been have problems with my outlook express, not getting any e-mails

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 20 Feb 2007 00:00

Hi Julie and Doreen, I have her correct e-mail address, have tried sending to her outlook express e-mail address and her MSN e-mai address but she never received them, I can receive mail from her though. Betty

Janet in Yorkshire

Janet in Yorkshire Report 20 Feb 2007 00:03

Can you reply on her incoming mail? Jay

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 20 Feb 2007 00:06

Hi Jay, When she sends me an e-mail I tried just clicking on reply, it was sent by me but she doesn't receive it that way either. Betty

Horatia

Horatia Report 20 Feb 2007 00:08

Who is your ISP (Internet Service Provider)? Who is your daughters ISP? Can you or your daughter not access your emails on your ISP's web page. Most ISPs provide a webmail facility as well as being able to read your emails in Outlook Express. It sounds like your ISP is experiencing technical difficulties (server problems) and only they will be able to fix it. Have you tried testing your email by sending an email to yourself? You have two server addresses in Outlook Express. SMTP (Simple mail Transer Protocol) and Pop3 (Post Office Protocol). I think emails are received on Pop3 and sent on SMTP. Your ISP may be having problems with the SMTP server Cheers, Horatia

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 20 Feb 2007 00:11

Hi Horatia, My ISP is Orange, I will try going to there website to check mail, never thought of that!! If not able send it to her address from there then I will contact them to find out why she is not receiving my e-mails. Strange as she has the same ISP as my other daughter and my grandson and I can send them mail ok and they receive them ok.. Betty added:- yes I sent an e-mail to myself and it arrive ok. p.s. Also sent her an e-mail to her MSN e-mail address and she didn't get it.

Horatia

Horatia Report 20 Feb 2007 00:18

There have been a lot of problems reported with Orange lately on this forum and other forums. Are Orange doing maintenance? I suggest you check the service status section of their website and contact them to ask what's going on. Cheers, Horatia

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 20 Feb 2007 00:29

I will do Horatia, But I don't understand why I can send e-mail all over the world and they receive them ok, just this morning sent one to America and Australia and they were deliverd in seconds. Betty

Horatia

Horatia Report 20 Feb 2007 01:06

A Server can break down in a few seconds. Maintenance can begin and end in seconds, minutes, or hours. Hope Orange resolve your problem for you. Cheers, Horatia

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 20 Feb 2007 01:17

Hi again Horatia, Went on the Orange website and sent my daughter an e-mail from there, she still hasn't received it, Orange say there is nothing wrong with the server. Betty

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 20 Feb 2007 04:14

Has she checked her junk mail folder? Rose

Keith

Keith Report 20 Feb 2007 09:27

I had the same problem with Orange, I could send mail but not receive, I opened a hot-mail account & a ya-hoo account and could send and receive with no problem. Orange just ignored any e-mails I sent so I gave up on them. Keith

Horatia

Horatia Report 20 Feb 2007 10:27

Folks, Don't let Orange fob you off!! You are PAYING these people for a service. Go back and state your problem about your daughter not receiving your emails - don't mention the server! If Orange don't take your problems seriously then you should consider changing your ISP! Cheers, Horatia

Heather

Heather Report 20 Feb 2007 11:03

Dont believe them when they say the prob isnt there end - Ive spent days changing my passwords, settings, doing numerous exercises, checking for spy ware, all on the directions of talktalk's technical services department - I lost my temper and rang them again asking for a supervisor and was then told they had a server down and the problem will resolve in 24-48 hours - I shant hold my breath on that but it does just show you that they dont know what they are talking about. Ive since received yet another email telling me its my end and setting out the directions for yet again changing settings, Ive sent them back a mail in CAPS forwarding the email from their supervisor saying it is their end and asking why the rest of the staff dont know this. Drives you crazy.

LindaRSJ

LindaRSJ Report 20 Feb 2007 11:26

I too am with Orange and having a problem with mail, but mainly with my daughter in America who is Hotmail. I don't have a problem with sending, just she is not getting them and they don't bounce back. I have been trying to narrow down which of my mails to her are affected, because some do get through. I think it maybe the ones which I add emoticons to or attachments. I am currently having trouble with one which has six certicates attached to it. Have now sent each cert. singly on separate mails. Waiting for feed back on that. Linda

Horatia

Horatia Report 20 Feb 2007 13:36

Sounds like some of your emails are being rejected as spam or too big or because they have stuff embedded in them (emoticons) as possible virus messages (even though they're not). However, normally you should get a bounce back email saying why the email has been rejected. It's hard to say which person's ISP is at fault (the sender or the receiver). But the fact that many of you seem to be Orange customers is suspicious. Do you send emails via their web facility or via Outlook Express? Cheers, Horatia

LindaRSJ

LindaRSJ Report 20 Feb 2007 16:12

Sorry I am a bit late replying here, I've been out. Personally I usually use Outlook. The emoticons I use are not the free download ones. Have had yet another email from my daughter to say she still hasn't received anything from me. Just to check it out I am now going to send a certificate via my ISP's mail box. Linda

LindaRSJ

LindaRSJ Report 20 Feb 2007 16:22

Will put this up just in case anyone is still around. Went into my ISP mail box and had answers to two emails that I sent my daughter via Outlook 15 mins ago. So it would appear that Outlook works pretty quickly if they are just plain text no attachments. Now going to try attachments through ISP. Linda

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 20 Feb 2007 17:45

Betty, is this linked to the previous problem you had about not being able to send e-mails to Canada or America? Have nudged your other thread up to remind you.