Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Daughter from previous marraige.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maureen

Maureen Report 27 Feb 2007 15:33

My mother in law died in 2000. We never knew she was married twice till after her death. She had a daughter after 3 years of marraige to her first husband, the daughter would be 66 now. I have her birth certificate, I know she wasnt brought up with by her second husband. I would love to trace her but she has vanished. Anyone help with this one please? Maureen

Sheila

Sheila Report 27 Feb 2007 17:29

Hi Maureen, Have you looked for a marriage for her ? also would her father still be alive ? Sheila

Georgina

Georgina Report 27 Feb 2007 17:36

Maureen have you checked the death indexes to see if she died as a child? Georgina.

Maureen

Maureen Report 27 Feb 2007 19:40

Ihave tried death indexes and have had no joy at all. Maureen

Sheila

Sheila Report 27 Feb 2007 19:42

Hi So if she stayed with her father after the marriage ended she would have been brought up in his name, did you look from when she would have been 18 plus for a marriage for her ? Have you checked to see if the father has died or is still alive ? if he is still alive I can have a look on my electoral roll for him if you want. Sheila

Maureen

Maureen Report 27 Feb 2007 19:43

I have no knowledge of what happened to the father I never knew he existed till 2000. I have his birth and marraige certificates and knew his job a production engineer in an aircraft works but that is all i know. I have tried on Genes Reunited and Ancestry to ne avail. Maureen

Sheila

Sheila Report 27 Feb 2007 19:57

Hi Maureen, Send me a PM with his name and the area the marriage took place and I will see if he is on the elec roll. Sheila

Georgina

Georgina Report 27 Feb 2007 20:03

Maureen if you want to give us her name & birth details we could help you look. If she would be about 66 now she was born during WW2 have you thought maybe her father was an American. Georgina.

Maureen

Maureen Report 27 Feb 2007 21:40

The fathers name is Eric George Fuller and he was born in Birmingham in 1911. The daughters name is Barbara Ann Fuller and she too was born in Birmingham on March 13th 1941. Her mums name was Lorna Dorothy Cropper, my mother in law. Maureen.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 27 Feb 2007 22:02

When was Lorna's 2nd marriage? Do you know what happened to Eric? Barbara would have been a war time baby. That might be significant. Rose

Sheila

Sheila Report 28 Feb 2007 09:12

Hi No death for Eric from 1984-2004 so he must have died before this time, when was the 2nd marriage maybe she was a widow m, but then who looked after the daughter. You have not said yet what records you have checked, maybe Barbara was killed during the war, have you checked for this ? if not have you checked from about 1958 when she would have been 18 ,onwards for a few years for a marriage for her ? Sheila

The Ego

The Ego Report 28 Feb 2007 10:01

Be careful with living persons details in public...... However I have a way for checking exact dates of birth on the net against electoral role names ...so if you PM me the name and DOB-I can tell you if she is on there ....if there is a match i can point you towards getting the adress off the site .....my method is free and helps stop wasting credits beforehand.

Maureen

Maureen Report 28 Feb 2007 10:03

Lorna remarried in April 1948 and I have her marraige certificates for both marraiges. She was divorced form Eric Fuller and I asked the people at the national records office if I applied for the divorce papers would it give me an indication of Barbaras whereabouts. They said it would only tell me who filed for divorce and a date. Nothing would be mentioned about Barbara. I have no idea what happened to Eric. My mother in law, Lorna always said her first husband was a fighter pilot who got killed in the second world war. We now know this wasnt true as he was a production engineer in an aircraft factory we think at Castle Bromwich. Maureen.

The Ego

The Ego Report 28 Feb 2007 12:06

war deaths - no results for either have been checking marriage records and have found one though the name is quite popular surprisingly.....I tried AMJ quarter first for years 1962-1970. The problem here is who looked after her?....she would have been 6/7 years old - if no-one knew her then I can only presume her mother didnt look after her or am I missing something? Other possibility is that she died as a child of natural / other causes 1941-1948 the more I look at this I get the picture of a possible child death that was hard to bear-it split the couple and the mother put it away in a little box.

The Ego

The Ego Report 28 Feb 2007 13:24

ive checked deaths 1941-1948 and there is a match -the only problem is that this death in 1942 in Neath corresponds with a birth a few months before.......so she didnt die in her birth name before 1948. Which leads to the possibility of a) was evacuated to say an aunts and stayed there once the mother was remarried.(remember she was born in a big city) b)she had her name changed to her mothers maiden name and cant find her death that way.

The Ego

The Ego Report 28 Feb 2007 16:46

may have a lead- OND 1970 Barbara A. F........ married a P....., in Lewes.......there is someone in Kent with the name.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 28 Feb 2007 19:48

Ego, I don't see that marriage on Ancestry. Rose

The Ego

The Ego Report 28 Feb 2007 19:53

Ive found at least 8 marriages -location shouldnt be that important-the 1960's may have meant work elsewhere or college etc....... a nightmare really as there isnt much to go on....... all I know is that 1)there are 4 people called Barbara (surname unknown for 2 ) born the same day-the 2 that have a very common surname cant be linked to a marriage. 2)At least 3 of the 8 marriages look like they are still going-ie they still live together on the role. 3)She could have married twice which is really annoying. 4)Without knowing the circumstances there could have been all sorts of reasons why mum didnt look after her which would lead us to whether she married or moved or something else....for instance she may have been in need of instititional care or may have emigrated with her father. 1962-1970 marriages have been checked ( 8 matches-with middle initial A)

Georgina

Georgina Report 28 Feb 2007 20:23

I have given Maureen a possible marriage for a Barbara A Fuller in Solihull & she is sending for the certificate to see if the fathers name matches the info she already has. Georgina.

The Ego

The Ego Report 28 Feb 2007 22:25

The solihull one is the closest to the family location -its a brian walker ...its a bit obvious -I dont think there is anything straightforward about this case- she may have gone to colllege and started a new life in another area and married there-a lot of that happened....also not fully convinced circumstances were normal here...but I guess you need to start with the obvious angles first and then eliminate........8 marriages with a barbara a. was more than I expected in that time frame.This could end up being an expensive exercise. Ive tried to eliminate some angles but theres so little to go on.