Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage Records - 1 each for bride & groom ???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gail Thompson Ball

Gail Thompson Ball Report 8 Mar 2007 16:49

Hi there, Can anyone tell me about marriage registers. Would I expect to see two registrations for the bride & groom maybe in separate districts ?? Thanks in advance - I'm really new at this and not getting anywhere fast. Gail

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 8 Mar 2007 16:52

There will be an entry for each person, but the Vol, and page number will be the same. What year are you looking for?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Mar 2007 16:52

The marriage is registered in the district in which it occurred. The bride and groom will have the identical Vol No and Page No. Would fresh eyes help? Reg

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 8 Mar 2007 16:58

Gail Good to see you took my suggestion on board :) So who are the bride and groom? From what info have you made that conclusion? Chris

Gail Thompson Ball

Gail Thompson Ball Report 8 Mar 2007 17:26

Hi everyone, Thanks for the info. It makes sense to have two records with the same vol number. I'm looking for Sarah Minton b. Kingsland Hereford 1850/1 and Benjamin Thompson b. 1839 GRO Otley 23 497. I thought that the marriage was abt. 1866 as in 1881 census there is 15yr old son in household. Other children are 2, 1 and 3mths, so this could be child of a different parent and make the marriage later. Census is: Sarah 73 head of house Benjamin (son) 41 Sarah (wife of Benj) 30 John (son) 34 Jasper (g.son) 15 Sam (g.son) 2 Wilkinson (g.son) 1 Annie (g.daughter) 3mths Any help much appreciated in where to look, Best regards, Gail

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 8 Mar 2007 17:33

There's a marriage on FreeBMD for Sarah Minton - Sep 1866 - Hereford - 6a 843. Neither of the men show as Benjamin Thompson though. It's possible that there are another couple of people to add and the only way to check that is to look for Benjamin Thompson in the complete listings on Ancestry for that quarter - if you find one with the same ref no. then bingo! Jill

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Mar 2007 17:42

There are three Benjamin Thompsons registered as marrying in JAS 1866.........none in Hereford Reg

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Mar 2007 17:44

It is highly unlikely that Sarah, aged 30, was the mother of Jasper aged 15. Reg

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 8 Mar 2007 17:46

In 1871 Benjamin is in Guiseley: Benjamin - 31 - foreman and gardener Harriet - wife - 39 Jasper - 5 - scholar Sarah - 3 Mary 8M. Harriet and all children were born in Guisely. Jill

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Mar 2007 17:48

Posting full census info for 1881....to clarify Annie Thompson Yeadon, Yorkshire, England Granddaughter Yeadon Yorkshire Benjamin Thompson abt 1840 Yeadon, Yorkshire, England Son Yeadon Yorkshire Jasper Thompson abt 1866 Guiseley, Yorkshire, England Grandson Yeadon Yorkshire John Thompson abt 1847 Yeadon, Yorkshire, England Son Yeadon Yorkshire Sam Thompson John abt 1879 Yeadon, Yorkshire, England Grandson Yeadon Yorkshire Sarah Thompson abt 1808 Eccleshill, Yorkshire, England Head Yeadon Yorkshire Sarah Thompson abt 1851 Kingsland, Hereford, England Daughter in Law Yeadon Yorkshire Wilkinson Thompson abt 1880 Yeadon, Yorkshire, England Grandson Yeadon Yorkshire Reg

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Mar 2007 17:49

1871 showing Jasper to be the son of Benjamin, and his first wife............. Name: Jasper Thompson Age: 5 Estimated birth year: abt 1866 Relation: Son Father's name: Benjamin Mother's name: Harriet Gender: Male Where born: Guiseley, Yorkshire, England Civil parish: Guiseley County/Island: Yorkshire Country: England Registration district: Wharfedale Sub-registration district: Yeadon ED, institution, or vessel: 11 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 232 Household Members: Name Age Benjamin Thompson 31 Harriet Thompson 39 Jasper Thompson 5 Mary Thompson 8 months Sarah Thompson 3 Reg

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 8 Mar 2007 17:49

Fanfare trumpets: Marriage - Mar Q 1879 - Bradford Y. 9b 24 Benjamin THOMPSON Sarah MINTON Jill

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Mar 2007 17:52

This is Sarah in 1871........... Name: Sarah Minton Age: 20 Estimated birth year: abt 1851 Relation: Servant Gender: Female Where born: Kingsland, Herefordshire, England Civil parish: Kingsland Town: Kingsland County/Island: Herefordshire Country: England Registration district: Leominster Sub-registration district: Kingsland ED, institution, or vessel: 8 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 47 Household Members: Name Age Mary Harris 88 Sarah Minton 20 Elizabeth Scandritt 36 Reg

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 8 Mar 2007 17:52

Not sure about registration districts in Yorkshire so could be miles away: Marriages Dec 1864 (>99%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Busfield Harriet Wharfedale 9a 251 COOPER William Wharfedale 9a 251 DIBB Emma Wharfedale 9a 251 Thompson Benjamin Wharfedale 9a 251

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Mar 2007 17:54

And here is the marriage........... Sarah Minton 1879 Jan-Feb-Mar Bradford Yorkshire - West Riding Benjamin Thompson 1879 Jan-Feb-Mar Bradford Yorkshire - West Riding Volume: 9b Page: 24 Reg

Gail Thompson Ball

Gail Thompson Ball Report 8 Mar 2007 17:55

OMG, you guys are fantastic ! How do you find all this info so quickly ??

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 8 Mar 2007 17:57

Beat you to it Reggie! This site is a bit slow today - even if I refresh the page I don't pick up all the messages! I shall have to leave you to it now as I need to go home (I'm still at my desk although not working - as you can see!) Cheers Jill

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 8 Mar 2007 17:58

Hi Gail I am not as fast as Reggie usually - I think he has surpersonic fingers or something! Don't worry - in a few months you'll be zipping around so fast you won't have time to eat - or sleep - or anything else for that matter! Jill

Gail Thompson Ball

Gail Thompson Ball Report 8 Mar 2007 17:59

Jill, Thanks so much. Hope you have a good evening. Best regards, Gail

Gail Thompson Ball

Gail Thompson Ball Report 8 Mar 2007 18:03

Reggie, Thanks to you too. Do you have a little competition with Jill to see who can reply quickest? I hope I can one day find the info as quickly as you all did. Thanks again, Gail