Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

buried with first husband not second why??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 1 Apr 2007 15:00

A wild guess is it was pre arranged.

*Sharm

*Sharm Report 1 Apr 2007 15:01

hi im asking your opinion on this please. i have discovered that my gggreatgrandmother was buried with with her first husband and not her second husband, her second husband died 4 years before her in 1881 in burnley, lancs but i have never found where he is buried, but have now found her thanks to burnley cem, who were very helpfull in locating her grave but why is this? was this commen in those days maybe she and her first husband bought the plot. thanks.

Christine2

Christine2 Report 1 Apr 2007 15:24

My hubbys Grandmother died and his Grandfather married again. The new wife died a year before him and I discovered that they are all in the same grave. Graves were probably expensive in those days and they wanted to get full use out of them I imagine.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 Apr 2007 15:27

Did she have children with her first husband? If she did, and her second husband had already died, then perhaps it was one of the children who organised her funeral, and decided that they wanted their mother and father together. Kath. x

Leni

Leni Report 1 Apr 2007 15:31

My brothers wife died aged forty ,he married again and she was a widow, and they have decided that when he dies he will be buried with his first wife and she will be buried with her first husband. So it really is a matter of personal choice. Gwyn

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 1 Apr 2007 15:34

If money was tight and the family already owned the grave, it would have been quite logical for her to be buried with her first husband, it was not unusual. Jennifer

*Sharm

*Sharm Report 1 Apr 2007 16:19

hi No she didnt have children with either husband, but her first husband married her 2 years after having her son (my ggreatgrandfather) he was illigitamate, so i suppose he looked on him as his father, he is named as son who registered his death on the certificate although he had a different surname only changed it to register his death then reverted back to his own name. sharmala ,

No Longer Available

No Longer Available Report 1 Apr 2007 17:47

My father was buried with his first wife.She died in 1947 aged 34.He died 1991 aged 78. My mother was not happy,but he apparently bought the plot. They weren't next to each other,my father was buried on top, so to speak. My mother has now moved and won't be with him when she dies

Carol71

Carol71 Report 1 Apr 2007 18:02

My Great Great Aunt's husband and son are buried with my Great Grampa, dying in the early 1900s-she remarried app: 12 yrs before she died, in 1968, and was buried with her Dad, 1st Hubby and son. I don't know where her 2nd husband is buried. CeeCee

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 1 Apr 2007 18:18

An elderly friend who died quite recently, was buried with her first husband. He had died at the age of 27, of leukaemia. She later met and married a widower, and although they had a long and happy marriage, they were both adamant that they should be buried with their first spouses, as the second marriage would not have happened, if both spouses had had a full life span. I can sort of see the reasoning behind this and as they had no children, well, it doesn't seem odd. OC

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 1 Apr 2007 18:52

One of my ancestors hated his second wife. I found his memoirs two weeks ago. I saw his will last week and he asked to be buried next to his first wife. I'm descended from the hated second wife!!! Sue

Bee~fuddled.

Bee~fuddled. Report 1 Apr 2007 19:55

Just a silly thought - maybe he was better company?? Reckoning they'd be together a good long time?! Sorry - told you I was being silly - must have been staring at the screen too long! Bx

Juliet

Juliet Report 1 Apr 2007 20:33

my FIL is making funeral arrangements for himself now and he and his 3rd wife wish to be buried with their FIRST spouses. He has been widowed twice and his first two wives are buried together.He will be buried with them and his present wife will be buried 3 miles away with her first husband. They feel that togetherness in life was important but the children(all 50+ !!) should be able to visit a 'family ' grave.

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 1 Apr 2007 20:39

When you arrange a burial, your asked if you want a one man plot,two man or three man. As did my Sister when her hubby died back in 1973.She arranged for a two man. My Sister went on to remarry and when she herself died last year, She was put to rest in the plot with her 1st hubby. Paula 'bloggs' and in brackets underneath (1st married name) It was paid for so why not use it! Expensive thing this dying lark! Gerri.

Joan

Joan Report 1 Apr 2007 20:51

Sharmala, intriguing topic; had never given it any thought before. Did the cemetry office give you the details of who bought the plot and when ? Asking because I went to Accrington cemetery and the kind man there found the grave of my gt grandfather and told me who else was buried there and when and how much the burials were. Fascinating, Joan

David

David Report 1 Apr 2007 22:06

MY MOTHER IN LAW WAS BURIED WITH HER FIRST HUSBAND I BELEIVE IT WAS BECAUSE THE GRAVE WAS PURCHASED FOR HER AND HER HUSBAND AS A DOUBLE GRAVE (ONLY FOR TWO). I SUPPOSE THEY NEVER THOUGHT THAT EITHER WOULD MARRY AGAIN.

Libby

Libby Report 2 Apr 2007 00:01

My g grandfather died in 1916. G grandmother remarried acouple of years later. In her Will (such as it was) she stated that she wished to be buried with her first husband, her mother and her sister. Her youngest son joined her five years later. A couple of months ago I was looking for her grave in Bootle Cemetery, knew roughly where it was, Although I was unlucky I did find the grave of My g grandfathers brother nearby, buried with his wife and his mother, Still can not find my g g grandfathers death or his marriage. Have him in 1861, 1871 and 1901. In the intervening years he married and had four children. Found them all apart from him, Libby x

Jean....

Jean.... Report 2 Apr 2007 00:23

My mother is buried with my dad......he died 10 years before her and she married again. I think if they were married a long time and only parted by death, they will want to be buried with the father of their children. My g.grandmother is also buried with her first husband and she had two husbands after he died, ... spoilt for choice I suppose. Jean

*Sharm

*Sharm Report 2 Apr 2007 07:32

hi Thanks to all who replied to my message about buriels with first husband. I perticurly liked the idea that maybe he was better company! what i didnt mention was that it must have been a squash in that plot as not only are william (first hubby) susannah, her son (my ggreatgrandad), his wife (isabella my ggreatgrandma), their daughter Arabella, 2 children, 1 who died in infancy, and i think a stillborn baby, and to top it all of the ashes of arabellas daughter were also buried (which i didnt know you could do) she died in the 1950,s) Burnley cemetry were very good, it was them that told me who was in that plot, as the headstone is very worn now with age, but it was well used from the 1860`s right through to the 1950`s.!